My Boy Mannion

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Fisher has nothing to do with this, so I'm not going to address that. This is McVay's team now.

Mannion does not have better pocket presence that Goff does, especially when Goff is feeling confident.

One of Mannions biggest weaknesses coming out of college was that he got rattled easily when the pressure was there, and that he wasn't a mentally tough QB... Goff on the other hand was praised as an incredibly mentally tough QB after what happened to him at CAL.

Deep ball is probably a wash or a slight edge to Mannion, but Goff's deep ball isn't much worse.

We have no idea who has the offense down better at this point to grade them on their smarts. It doesn't appear as if Goff is having any issue with the playbook or reading defenses. The past two weeks I don't think he's made a poor read while playing. He's made a poor throw on a good read, but he made a good read nonetheless. Mannion on the other hand has made poor reads (his TD to Reynolds last week was a poor read that worked out for him).... So we can't really judge their intelligence at this point.

Again, I like Mannion, I think he's a pretty good QB, but he's not better than Goff, and that's why he's not starting. There's no conspiracy and Mannion isn't being punished for some reason, Goff is just a better QB and he has more potential.

I don't know how you can call that throw to Reynolds a bad read lol that doesn't make sense since when do you draft a guy to win 50-50 balls and not throw it to him if Goff throws to to Watkins is it a bad read if Goff throws it Reynolds just like that is it a bad read, even the announcers said Mannion put the ball in the perfect spot. Calling a touchdown pass a poor read is reaching especially since Mannion has the courage and trust to even attempt the throw but then he throw it perfectly, no that's not a bad read it's a good read recognizing single coverage with no safety help either it's a touchdown a incomplete or defensive pass interference. Perfect pass perfect read, yeah Goff can read the defense good within 15 yards

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Just watching all these other backups in the league and some starters I'm definitely happy with Mannion and Goff for that matter

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
He definitely has better tools then them he has arm strength and accuracy and he has the mental ability to play in this game. I see a starter. I see a guy that gets more comfortable the longer he plays I see better accuracy as the game goes on I see him not getting rattle by down and distance how many of his passes traveled for over 20 yards. I see a qb who's confidence is sky high right now

I agree with most of this ,except the starter part. His release is still slow, would be good to see him with the 1s just to see where he is.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
I'm happy we have Mannion. He looks to have turned into a solid backup plan if Goff tanks. But Goff is definitely the starter and the one with the upside. Mannion can become a starter if he keeps progressing and I wouldn't be horrified if we ended up having to start him for whatever reason. He's limited in some ways but can become a successful blue-collar stalwart for many teams. I'm glad we have him.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It's really unfortunate that many of us Goff fans almost feel like we have to root for Mannion to fail. I don't. I really do hope for the best with Mannion, and I enjoy seeing him succeed. But there's always this conflict in me when I'm watching him. I know that if Mannion plays well, there's a contingent of Rams fans who are going to push the Mannion over Goff narrative.

And in order to push that narrative, they're going to tear Goff down. That, in turn, will cause Goff supporters to tear Mannion down. Or it happens in reverse.

It would be nice if we could all agree to just root for the success of both our QBs, support the starter, and leave it at that. There shouldn't be this huge tension here.

Picked4td

Pro Bowler
It's really unfortunate that many of us Goff fans almost feel like we have to root for Mannion to fail. I don't. I really do hope for the best with Mannion, and I enjoy seeing him succeed. But there's always this conflict in me when I'm watching him. I know that if Mannion plays well, there's a contingent of Rams fans who are going to push the Mannion over Goff narrative.

And in order to push that narrative, they're going to tear Goff down. That, in turn, will cause Goff supporters to tear Mannion down. Or it happens in reverse.

It would be nice if we could all agree to just root for the success of both our QBs, support the starter, and leave it at that. There shouldn't be this huge tension here.

nah, screw that. lets make Mannion the next great cult hero like Tebow

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I agree

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack

I'd be cool if there was never another one of these threads. For either QB. Can we just tear down our QBs in the GDT? Why do we have to do it on our down time too?

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
He'll be a serviceable backup, perhaps he can become trade bait in the future for a QB desperate team.

I think he is a very good backup. Though I wish they had kept Keenum I am OK with Mannion should he have to step in and play a few games. He's a backup that you can win with if you provide a good plan for game day.

He definitely has better tools then them he has arm strength and accuracy and he has the mental ability to play in this game. I see a starter.

I'm not sure. But what I see is a top flight backup. And that's an important guy in today's NFL. More important than any other 2nd string player on the roster.

There is damn good money in holding a clip board!

I'd be open to switching careers LOL.

Naw, they are gonna get poor Kizer killed first, and then we get a 2nd for Mannion....

See below

Or jet, or jaguar I'm all for trading him and getting a good pick

Unless it's a first rounder I'm going to keep my backup that has plenty of time in the system and is competent and here's why I say that. If my starter goes down and my backup sucks so much that my team loses 3-4 games that can alter the season in a terrible fashion. I want a guy out there that I am confident won't fuck it up.

Let's just hope we don't have to play Mannion at all . If he does it would mean that Goff is injured or has failed miserably

I'm with you!

Jim Plunkett made damn good money. Until he had to put the clip board down and go win that Superbowl.

Well if this is the fate the Rams are going to suffer then so be it LOL.

Plunkett won two though. Never went to the Pro Bowl but has two rings!

He didn't light it up but didn't mess up either.

That's OK in a backup every day though.

He needs time I would rather still have Bradford but that's just my opinion.

:thinking:

One play in particular this game. Goff is rushed from the right side of the line, he steps up on the pocket and sneaks through the right side of the line and before he gets hit, finds Malcolm Brown for a big gain. You'll never see Mannion make a play like this. He doesn't have the foot speed.

I'm not sure it was foot speed as much as he's just very nimble.

Goff is still a bit coltish IMO. What we are seeing is (IMO) a colt just learning how to run.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
It would be nice if we could all agree to just root for the success of both our QBs
Trust me counselor....I am rooting SO HARD for the success of OUR Rams.....both QB's....All wrs....every damn lineman they put out there....

In fact....it was the main reason I WAS pissed we released Greg effin Robinson while a bunch in here were giggling like it was x-mas.....trust me.....we needed him. And so do our QB's

It's with painful heart that I have to look at the results on the field...and debate some ideas and perceptions several guys express about the QB play.

I'm an equal opportunity guy...I realize the limits of Mannion....Hell, I never want him to play in a real game....Not yet. But I'm openly critical of Goff too....because as hard as it is for me to admit it, that's NOT playoff football. Not that fumble....and not the even worse pick. No pressure....and the ball slips....that can't happen. And if it was some UDFA that made a boneheaded play...people would be calling for him to be cut. But because it's #sun-sets-in west, well, at least he owned it....admitted it....:blah:

Against the Pack....the Packers....yall may not know it, but like Raiders fans out here, Packer fans are everywhere...flying flags....setting up in local taverns....always talkin shit. I'm not looking for wins, but consistent, good play....no penalties...boneheaded nonsense....just some good, mistake free football...against a good team. If pointing out the key point in the game, and debating it's causes and possible solutions is tearing down a Rams player....I apologize.

I know you're looking at some of these team....Chicago....KC....Cleveland....and their QB's thinking, damn, I hope we look like that....I know I am....I don't want to see a rookie QB looking "better" than Goff. that's just me.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Mannion will play a lot against Green Bay. Will be fun to watch him get the start.
He and Reynolds have some mojo going for sure, look forward to more of it.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Mannion will play a lot against Green Bay. Will be fun to watch him get the start.
It will be nice to have everyone root for the kid (Mannion), since all recognize that Goff not starting isn't some secret message from McVay about his starter status....lol

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Do you think Watkins get out there too, I know he is going to have Brown and Hav playing hopefully browns hamstring isn't too serious or that can be trouble

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Do you think Watkins get out there too, I know he is going to have Brown and Hav playing hopefully browns hamstring isn't too serious or that can be trouble
I doubt any starters will play but well see. I doubt they'll risk injury on Watkins.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
In fact....it was the main reason I WAS ticked we released Greg effin Robinson while a bunch in here were giggling like it was x-mas.....trust me.....we needed him. And so do our QB's

I wonder what that freak could do with someone who might be able to develop him.

Oh well.

Good I hope he gets a lot of passes in and I'm hoping he looks excellent.

I'd put weapons out there all over for Mannion early in the game. And Watson wouldn't be hurt by extra reps even if it is with the backup.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Their isn't, but he hasn't done anything to show me that he can only be a backup
And when he plays against backups and 3rd stringers he hasn't shown anything to indicate he can be a starter. He's looked just ok vs them. If he was a starter or had starter potential he'd tear them up. But he's just ok. And before you go there backups were in vs Goff.

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
I'd put weapons out there all over for Mannion early in the game. And Watson wouldn't be hurt by extra reps even if it is with the backup.

Reps won't hurt Watkins. Players taking out his knees will. Which is why you won't see him next week.

Don't be surprised if you don't even see Reynolds or Cooper. With the changes regarding cut downs, this is the game you play all the rookies, and guys you don't want, so they can audition for other teams.

FaulkSF

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
FaulkSF
Mannion has come a long way. He has gotten his reps in games and at camp. He was 16 of 29 for 214 yards. The long pass TD to Reynolds was sweet. He didn't light it up but didn't mess up either.
Steady improvement from year one to two, all we can hope for. He did miss on 3 other long balls tho. He's not perfect, but could be serviceable in another year. A little scared to have him sub in at this point.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
And when he plays against backups and 3rd stringers he hasn't shown anything to indicate he can be a starter. He's looked just ok vs them. If he was a starter or had starter potential he'd tear them up. But he's just ok. And before you go there backups were in vs Goff.
Isn't the players Mannion is playing with aren't they third stringers too people act like he is out there with the starters going against 3rd stringers lol, and I'm pretty sure most of the guys Mannion be going against are 2nd stringers

DrHavenstein

Rookie
Name
Ty
I don't believe Mannion will ever be the guy here. If Goff doesn't work out this year, we will be drafting top 10 again. I'd say McVay would bring in a QB he likes with that pick, seems to be some good ones available (if they come out).