Must Watch Game of Keenum; We Got Something

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

SuperMan28

Hall of Fame
2013 Colts @ Texans

Remember that perfect, Warner-esk, bomb to Givens? Yeah, Keenum was making his deep bombs look automatic. I really have no idea why the Texans didn't stick with him.

I will admit I'm probably the best at snagging the Kool-Aid pitcher at first opportunity, but I think Keenam has something.

Even in Preseason against the Raiders, he was playing really well. I watched part of it and he was 11-14 at one point and completed multiple first downs.

Remember how we were all pretty ticked and confused the Rams never hit an easy slant? Outside of the deep bomb, which I saw him look great in multiple games doing (KC 2013), Keenum looks really good at throwing those short, sharp, strikes. He demonstrated some reeeally nifty pocket awareness, too.

You know how Wilson buys time by doing that little spin and gets outside the pocket to but time and throws a strike? Yeah, Keenum has that. He's not as mobile as Wilson, of course, but I think Keenum throws a better ball. He does not have a problem with 50 yarders, that's plenty.

Keenum's ball appears to have zero float to it on any passes. I know Foles's does tend to hang. I come to believe Keenum has a very clean release and is really good about getting his feet under him unless he just has a guy right on him.

So my MO is this

I just think we may have something here. So in the event Foles does not see the field for the rest of the year unless Case gets hurt, I think we should trade him for a fourth round pick to some desperate team. His contract isn't that much considering what an average started makes.

Just my .02

ramfan46

Pro Bowler
I just root for the Rams regardless so I'm inclined to hope for the best each week. That said, I've always had a thing for the way Keenum throws the ball. He's a natural thrower and can drive the ball. He can put it on a line or he can change his delivery or launch point and throw fades and balls with loft. He has the legs I've been dying for since Tony Banks haha. I'm really optimistic for him because with effective play from Gurley, Austin and the D means he doesn't have to set the world on fire. Just don't stink the joint up and get some 3rd down conversions and extend drives. 24 points wins a lot of games with this D. Let's go Keenum and Co.

Who's your breakout WR with Keenum? I'm gonna say Quick, he looked much better vs Chi, he was getting open.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I think Keenum will be fine too. He has a markedly different set of skills that I think will work nice in Cignetti's scheme.

But.

The sad reality is, we haven't had a difference maker at QB for over a decade.

Zombie Slayer

You are entitled to nothing.
Name
Dave

Which is very hard to find. We have not had one in over a decade, Jags have not since Brunell, Browns since they've been back in the league, Texans (outside of a couple years of Shaub) have not since they've been in the league. The list goes on. Really sucks that it is so hard to find one.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Based on what I've seen, I wouldn't say we have something. Keenum has a lot in common with Ryan Fitzpatrick. Although, I think Fitzpatrick's a little better. But...he might offer more than Foles of late. I hope and think he will.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I think it's important to keep it in perspective with Case. He's not Joe Montana, and will never be an elite QB. But, granted, we don't need him to be, so all I care about is that he moves the chains just enough, and keeps the turnovers down. I agree with the OP that he does some nice things. He can dish it quick and floats a nice long ball (which can be good or bad depending on reading the safeties correctly) and in a way might be a better fit for Cigs' approach with his WCO-like misdirection and backfield movement. If he can bring slants into the fore of the gameplan along with some sluggos, and complete his hots... He will be fine.

My guess is he gives the Rams a quick boost on offense, because Foles was struggling that badly. Once the NFL defenses start taking away what he does well, however, approx 2 to 3 games later, his success or failure will be in how he handles it. Most backup types cap out once that happens, so we will get to see if he is more than that.

Schmitzer

UDFA
I've watched a few highlights, noticing the following:
  • Many of the highlights show throws to wide open men. Nobody within 10 yards. Hard to judge him. A few precision throws downfield.
  • When pressure comes he is definitive: hang in, scramble, or run. When he runs, he tucks the ball and takes off and can make people miss. I like that.
  • In a high school film I saw him quickly flip a ball, kind of flat-footed, over 30 yards and on the money. Like he's not even trying.
Very interesting. Hoping for the best.

A55VA6

Legend
I think Keenum could provide a spark for a couple weeks, but I don't think he'll play out of this world or anything. Maybe if he plays just average, we'll be ok. It can't get much worse than what Foles has given us..

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
All he has to do is manage the game and move the sticks. We will rely heavily on the run game and Defense still. Keenum can/and only needs to make a play here and there and not turn the ball over. biggest worry right now is the OL situation. Going to be hard for ANYONE to do much if the OL craps the bed worse than it already has.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I will admit I'm probably the best at snagging the Kool-Aid pitcher at first opportunity, but I think Keenam has something.
And I will just say that I appreciate that. I'll tip back a glass of Kool-Aid with you anytime. A prost to homerism. Often too lost of an art on message boards. :cheers:

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I think Keenum will be fine too. He has a markedly different set of skills that I think will work nice in Cignetti's scheme.

But.

Ouch. My ass hurts now.

I wanted Keenum, all along. After we didn't draft, my guy.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I am obviously in the minority here. I think Keenum can offer us Davis like play albeit with a better head on his shoulders and a stud running back. I know many of you didn't like Davis but he made plays when he was given even the slightest amount of time. Yeah - I know some of the plays were good for the other team but I firmly believe Case comes into a team with a much better offense as a whole and will be able to make some plays with a completely different skill set than Foles.

So while most seem to think all he is capable of is a few plays here and there, I think he is capable of making plays that keep the chains moving so that our skill players have more opportunities to make big plays. He will hit some receivers in stride - what a refreshing thought. And a few more of those plays can grow our offense exponentially. Move the chains - three more downs. And the simple fact is that the odds are that playmakers like TA and Gurley will break some of those if just given the chance. Three and outs with a third and long to end them drag down the odds of big plays severely. Our play makers just need a few more opportunities and one or two extended series can do just that.

He will likely throw some picks but I think he will get more plays off on time and that itself will be most of what we have been missing. Our receivers were getting open on Sunday. But Foles was simply too late on most of his throws - even on virtually all of the completions.

Let's see if Keenum can pull that quick trigger. Because if he can, everything will look better. And frankly, just a little better wins us most of the games we lost.

We will rally around Case Keenum and we will play good football.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think it's important to keep it in perspective with Case. He's not Joe Montana, and will never be an elite QB. But, granted, we don't need him to be, so all I care about is that he moves the chains just enough, and keeps the turnovers down. I agree with the OP that he does some nice things. He can dish it quick and floats a nice long ball (which can be good or bad depending on reading the safeties correctly) and in a way might be a better fit for Cigs' approach with his WCO-like misdirection and backfield movement. If he can bring slants into the fore of the gameplan along with some sluggos, and complete his hots... He will be fine.

My guess is he gives the Rams a quick boost on offense, because Foles was struggling that badly. Once the NFL defenses start taking away what he does well, however, approx 2 to 3 games later, his success or failure will be in how he handles it. Most backup types cap out once that happens, so we will get to see if he is more than that.
I think this time around its completely different now for a couple reasons.. 1.. Gurley when the defense start trying to take away the passing game Gurley is going to go off. 2 Austin, he is always a major threat now and not to mention Keenum can run, those fake jet sweeps just got a lot more dangerous, when you have 3 guys that can get the ball on the same play.. I think this is the perfect scenario for Keenum and I don't expect a drop off in play he is going to make defense respect our pass game and that's just gonna open it up more for Gurley

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
Truth our biggest problem is in front of the QB at this point.
I just hope we can create enough time to be fair to Case's cause and give him a chance to display his skills. And we get a chance to really assess his abilities because at this point we are in the QB market and we all know that is a long and arduous process.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I am obviously in the minority here. I think Keenum can offer us Davis like play albeit with a better head on his shoulders and a stud running back. I know many of you didn't like Davis but he made plays when he was given even the slightest amount of time. Yeah - I know some of the plays were good for the other team but I firmly believe Case comes into a team with a much better offense as a whole and will be able to make some plays with a completely different skill set than Foles.

So while most seem to think all he is capable of is a few plays here and there, I think he is capable of making plays that keep the chains moving so that our skill players have more opportunities to make big plays. He will hit some receivers in stride - what a refreshing thought. And a few more of those plays can grow our offense exponentially. Move the chains - three more downs. And the simple fact is that the odds are that playmakers like TA and Gurley will break some of those if just given the chance. Three and outs with a third and long to end them drag down the odds of big plays severely. Our play makers just need a few more opportunities and one or two extended series can do just that.

He will likely throw some picks but I think he will get more plays off on time and that itself will be most of what we have been missing. Our receivers were getting open on Sunday. But Foles was simply too late on most of his throws - even on virtually all of the completions.

Let's see if Keenum can pull that quick trigger. Because if he can, everything will look better. And frankly, just a little better wins us most of the games we lost.

We will rally around Case Keenum and we will play good football.
I don't think he's a savior, by any means, but compared to Davis, he has more experience, processes faster, and his arm is quite a bit stronger.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
I think Kennum will do a lot of good things and maybe some not so good things. If Cignetti is smart he'll use a lot of screens, roll outs/play action.
And more importantly Kennum has never had Todd the beast Gurley behind him. Use him.