Moving Saffold to guard the right move

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I'd be a little more worried, if I was a GM, if Saffold's injuries were all on his knee's for instance. He's had a plethora of injuries, but mostly different one's. That makes him a little harder to assess in my book.

2010 rookie season missed parts of two games
9/17/10-Back Injury missed many practices
11/14/10-Ankle Sprain missed rest of game
11/21/10-Shoulder Bruise missed rest of game

2011 second year missed 7 full games & parts of two other total 9 games
10/16/11-Ankle Sprain missed rest of game
11/13/11-Head Concussion missed rest of game
11/18/11-Pectorial tears missed rest of the 2011 season

2012 third season missed 6 full games & parts of 2 other total 8 games
9/9/12-Neck Sprain first preseason game missed the next two games
9-16-12-Knee grade 3 sprain to MCL missed 6 games
12-10-12-Back Injury missed rest of game.

2013 fourth season missed 4 full games & parts of one total 5 games
8/8/13-Shoulder Dislocation 1st preseason game missed rest of preseaon.
9/15/13-Knee Sprain to MCL missed the rest of wk2 & 4 games after

Its when I add them all up you get a bonifed true picture on what this team has been dealing with since Rodger Saffold arrival. Bottom line at this point in time Saffold was contracted to play in 58 NFL games for the Rams..Saffold has been only able to play & finish 36 out of 58 due to injury during these times Saffold has always been the starter so those missed games caused a back up OL'er to play in his place...results have not always been good.

Another negative on Saffold is all these injuries happened when he was young and fresh and not worn down...he will be 26 yrs old with four NFL seasons under his belt with a pile of damaged various body parts.... as time wears will the normal NFL body get better??? at fighting off injuries & making more games?? No the opposite holds true. But OT Jake Long @ 28 yrs old did seem to get much healthier this yr from years past??

Last edited by a moderator:

nighttrain

Legend
I hope take a chance and resign him, he's a perfect backup at 3 positions and starts at guard..injuries, yup they are a concern..but almost every player in the NFL has them to some degree.
train

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
I hope take a chance and resign him, he's a perfect backup at 3 positions and starts at guard..injuries, yup they are a concern..but almost every player in the NFL has them to some degree.
train
That's how I see it. They need continuity with the offensive line.

The injury history is for real, but they need continuity, which his experience and flexibility can help to solidify, and I think helps them if they want to develop and draft offensive linemen.

I've seen mentioned that Wells' contract is free from guarantees this year, but wouldn't it be kind of crazy to replace the leader and play caller for the line at this stage?

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Given the choice between Roger as he is seen NOW vs. Dahl I take Roger any day,he can be dominant without going over the cliff ,something I don't appreciate in my man Dahl.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
That's how I see it. They need continuity with the offensive line.
The injury history is for real, but they need continuity, which his experience and flexibility can help to solidify, and I think helps them if they want to develop and draft offensive linemen.I've seen mentioned that Wells' contract is free from guarantees this year, but wouldn't it be kind of crazy to replace the leader and play caller for the line at this stage?

Scott Wells

YearBase
SalaryProrated
BonusRoster
BonusWorkout
BonusOther
BonusCap
NumberDead
MoneyCap
Savings
2012$3,500,000$1,000,000$0$0$0$4,500,000$13,000,000($8,500,000)
2013$5,500,000$1,000,000$0$0$0$6,500,000$8,500,000($2,000,000)
2014$5,500,000$1,000,000$0$0$0$6,500,000$2,000,000$4,500,000
2015$5,500,000$1,000,000$0$0$0$6,500,000$1,000,000$5,500,000

I sure would not think about releasing Scott Wells myself. he has finally gotten comfortable & he & Saffold sure made some good tough combo blocks last week. I would keep Wells and utilize the two back up centers to back up the OG spots too. As far Saffold's alleged versatility was just that unknown experts had said for yrs while in college & while he was just a draft prospect that he was Versatile but in truth there was no evidence it was just gut feelings. Saffold has always been a left side guy and always a tackle!

For over three yrs rumors have been leaking out about a position shift on Saffold but denied by Boudreau & Fisher until this year. The all of a sudden this year we move Saffold from OLT to ORT then move him again inside to OG. If the Rams can afford to pay a bad nickel back who has a chronic bad injured thigh who also misses games over 11 million a year then they sure can come off some $$$ to keep Saffold here to fill both the swing OT spot & a starting OG spot!

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
The issue is...do you take the risk of re-signing him with his injury history? Going to be a tough call if he tears it up at OG.

I have a strong guy feeling on this jrry32...if they let Saffold start @ either of those OG posts.....Saffold will do more that tear it up on the field he will dominate his opponent & will play better than we have ever seen!

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Hopefully with the guys we have on the roster and 1 ore addition the O Line is starting to become a good group and no longer a problem. Barrett played each of the positions in college and hopefully will become a force next year.

Is Saffold going to score on the FA market? Would he be more comfortable with the team that drafted him, who can predict any of that? This team is growing and will be even better over the next 2-5 years he should be able to see that and you have to think that comes in to play too.

Saffold has been good but not great keeping him would be ok but losing him would not hurt this team that much

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
I have a strong guy feeling on this jrry32...if they let Saffold start @ either of those OG posts.....Saffold will do more that tear it up on the field he will dominate his opponent & will play better than we have ever seen!
AND THAT is the logic behind drafting tackles because they can become bigger more athletic guards if they can't make it at tackle in the NFL, IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII,LIKE IT

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
The Rams have had four OL'ers play OG this season 3 of the four were OT's in college. Rams OG reserves Mike Persons & Brandon Washington were OT's in college. Barrett Jones was a OT & OC his last two seasons in college........The only drafted OG is Shelley Smith who was a OLG all his time in Ft Collins, Colorado he was a Ram then too he was selected in the 6th round by the Texans.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
AND THAT is the logic behind drafting tackles because they can become bigger more athletic guards if they can't make it at tackle in the NFL, IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII,LIKE IT

Agreed. It's why I think even with Barksdale's play, it would not be a bad idea to take a potential LT in round 1 if there's one that's the right value.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
There is already tape that shows it, and he's had nary any reps there in practice. If I was GM, I don't know if I would re-sign him, but I'd like to. I'd still draft his replacement in either case. If we could get him on the cheap, no brainer. I hope the dude loves where he lives and the Rams.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Here's my prediction;

Saffold leaves via FA, on a contract we all see as low.

I like Rodger... But it's the injuries.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Here's my prediction;

Saffold leaves via FA, on a contract we all see as low.

I like Rodger... But it's the injuries.

Yes CGI, I would not bet on anything but what you have posted above. I think & I would think most ROD'mers would agree on this ....that there is a very large group of NFL teams are in such bad situation with their starting OT's that the bidding for Saffold will be off the charts. :disappoint:

Rams have finally got a break early early last season when Snead snatched up a released OT from the Raiders who gave up on after two Training camps two preseasons & one NFL season. Boudreau was able to develop this young flawed OT into a working slow but sure improving OT. Barksdale sub'd for Saffold in 2012 and started two games for Saffold @ Left OT. In truth Barksdale seems to be just as good or maybe even better playing left OT than right OT he is a perfect swing OT and that says a lot about him now. Barksdale is improving but still is much better in pass blocking than run blocking.

Rams recognize what you posted...A highly talented young versatile four yr starting left & right OT Saffold will depart mostly & mainly due to other NFL having so much cap space & available millions to stuff into Saffold pockets and sneakers. Rams have so few pennies to offer Saffold. I am just kidding fooling myself to hold out any hope on the Rams be able to invest in Saffold after investing 21 million of the 2014 cap in Finnegan & Cook in 2014 alone. I wished I could release both of those in order to retain Saffold not in this world. :sad: It's obvious from what Fisher said that he firmly believes that Saffold who had never played or practiced as a OG ....is a much better OG than Shelley Smith currently who had started @ ORG the week before. if that the case then once Harvey Dahl returns expect to see Saffold inserted in @ OLG cuz Smith is much better than Williams IMO.

fearsomefour

Legend
I will say this I have never thought Rodger Saffold was anything close to being an average starting OT. I really like him as a OT. I have really been in a quandary over Saffold and his more than likely departure from Ramville. What is one of the weakest starting positions on this Ram team? OLG(Chris williams) or Nickle Back (Finnegan), maybe a safety but TJ McDonald will return soon. What are the multiple stumbling blocks in the way of resigning Saffold?

ITS THE INJURY HISTORY STUPID ... then why would I think that other NFL teams be jumping thru hoops & gleeful at the chance to get into bidding for him & offering up a very nice fat long contract? Has Snead & Fisher really disrespected Saffold first with the move to ORT then to add more fuel to the burning coals second Saffold gets a demotion to back up duty on the bench then third he gets a fill in short term post @ ORG? WOW how that happen??? INJURY you big dummy! Ok I got it...

Maybe its because no other team was hurt by all those games that Saffold missed...the real pain was felt here nowhere else. I still think the pain that Saffold constant injuries cause is still lingering ....what do you think? What could get Snead/Fisher & Saffold to consider a new marriage?? short term or long term? What about those playing-time incentives, salary escalators, through incentives based on playing time and Pro Bowl berths type contracts? But Saffold prefers the left side where he has played since 7th grade...Rams got to go find a starting LEFT OG no argument there.

Saffold's three yrs of injuries while playing OT were very damaging especially in 2011 & 2012 but not so much this season ....why because the Rams finally had a good back up in Joe Barksdale to take & hold the post. If Saffold was purchased to start the OLG post just like the ORT post do the Rams have another Barksdale in the fold?...I will contend if Saffold was to go down once again the Rams will have his post covered just like they did this yr... Rams have
#1-future plan on signing up RFA Shelley Smith & insert him full time in @ OLG in 2014 if they want...Shelley did start there full time back early in 2012 and held up well for a first yr player. Shelley IMO is better than Chris Williams but not by a far degree. 26 yr old Shelley will be entering his third yr. whereas Williams will be 29 yrs old with 7 yrs of the NFL under his belt.
#2- Rams also have the Snead drafted Barrett Jones who will be a 2nd yr player? I have been preached too from many forum members that drafting OL'ers on day one is a waste you can get them later in the draft well Barrett came later in the draft.
#3- Tim Barnes has been a Ram since 2011 & now has two full seasons of Boudreau coaching & teaching.
#4- Ram signed up OLG Mike Persons mid September they seem to like him.
#5-The last other present know prospect for the OLG is Brandon Washington who has been a Ram since early 2012. Brandon started the last pre season game @ OLG, his play @ OLG got him a spot on the 53 player roster.

So is the injury history a real big stumbling block? or is Saffold's ego bigger?So the Rams need a Swing OT & a OLG looks to me that the Rams could get both of those BIG needs filled by one signing ....Saffold to a 2014 contract.

I would like to think the Rams can bring back Saffold but I dont think they will have a shot. I do believe a team is going to dole out some bucks for Saffold to play LT. Those guys are hard to find and Roger has proven he can play that spot.

I like bring Smith back, he has played well when given the opportunity. I could see him starting at RG and would be fine with that. He would come relatively cheaply too.

The irony of Jones falling to the Rams where he did (in the context of a discussion about Saffold) is that happened because of injury. Jones is an exciting prospect but a prospect still at this point.

Like Barnes as a backup C. Played solidily in the preseason. Didnt get much push in the run game but was bowled over or off balance either.

I like the signing of Persons. Has the potential to be a good find in the same mold of Barksdale.

Washingtons play at T was dreadful. He was ok at G. He seems to have the same issue with Williams does with getting off balance and ending up off his feet. But, they saw something they liked.

The most likely approach in my opinion is Smith will be resigned at have a shot at LG. Long, Wells, Dahl and Barksdale will return. I would like to see a FA come in….which is why I love the idea (in fairness I am the only person I have heard say this) of trading for Incognito. Could get him for a low pick now and sign him on the cheap.

If Saffold goes ($1.4M) and Williams goes ($900k) and Dahl is released ($4M) that would money could be used to bring in a FA. My personal preference would be bringing in Incognito on the cheap (2 years $6M) and keeping the rest minus Saffold and Williams.