Moving Saffold to guard the right move

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

News Bot

01001000 01101001
Name
News Bot
Nick Wagoner
http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-rams/post/_/id/3071/moving-saffold-to-guard-the-right-move

nfl_a_saffold_d1_576x324.jpg

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- The sample size is small but so far the St. Louis Rams' decision to plugRodger Saffold in at right guard in the absence of Harvey Dahl appears to be a good one.

In the short term, Saffold provides the Rams an athletic, talented blocker on the inside while the fiery Dahl recovers from a knee injury. For proof, check out Saffold's work on the 56-yard run from back Benny Cunningham against Indianapolis where he slides his feet quickly to the left and provides a powerful punch to open the hole for Cunningham.

In just one start, Saffold impressed head coach Jeff Fisher.

“‘Rodge' did a nice job considering he was just in there for a week," Fisher said. "‘Bou' [offensive line coach Paul T. Boudreau] did a great job preparing him, worked really well with
Scott [Wells] and [right tackle] Joe [Barksdale] and he's only going to get better at it. There's little things to clean up, as you would imagine, the technical things. But, I thought overall he did a pretty good job in there.”

According to Fisher, Dahl's recovery is coming along but Saffold's performance against Indianapolis last week at least earned him another look. Fisher confirmed Monday that Saffold will continue to handle the right guard responsibilities with Dahl out.

The decision to move Saffold came last week and the idea, as we discussed early Sunday morning, was simply to get the five best linemen on the field. Saffold had been working behind Barksdale at right tackle but what was an even split had evolved into Saffold getting limited work while Shelley Smith handled the right guard job.

Saffold had played well enough to earn more playing time and Barksdale has earned the opportunity to continue starting at right tackle. That left the Rams trying to find ways to get Saffold on the field.

“We discussed it real early last week and felt like that would be a good option," Fisher said. "He's playing really well coming off the injury and then would get an opportunity to play at tackle and kind of alternate with Joe; he was playing well. And Joe's playing good, so we felt like let's put the best guys out there.”

Saffold, who has taken his second position switch in the past six months about as well as could be expected, was pleased with his performance.

"It went really, really well," Saffold said. "There's definitely some things I need to work on. I'm definitely going to take some time to be able to watch the film with the coaches. I have so much respect for Harvey Dahl, Chris Williams, because it is tougher than it looks, but I think I was definitely able to hold my own. I was confident in my technique and I was able to open up some holes in the run game, so all in all I'm happy."

When Dahl returns, the Rams could again face a tough decision on what to do with Saffold. Williams has been up and down this season on the left side but the Rams may be hesitant to try Saffold at yet another position and disrupt chemistry on that side of the line.

What could be more interesting to monitor over the final six weeks is the effect Saffold's move inside has on his and the line's long-term future. There are those in the organization, both in the current and previous regime, who have long believed Saffold has the skills to become an elite guard.

Dahl is scheduled to count $4 million against the salary cap in 2014, the last year of his deal, and Williams' contract is up at the end of the season. Almost since the day the Rams signed left tackle Jake Long, evidence has piled up indicating Saffold and the Rams would likely part ways in the offseason, but it's fair to wonder if perhaps that line of thinking can change given his latest position switch combined with the Rams' forthcoming need at guard.

The easy assumption to make is that Saffold would earn a larger deal as a tackle on the open market but what if he does indeed prove to have elite guard skills in the final stretch of the season? An elite guard can easily make as much or more than an above-average tackle and Saffold seems to like playing in St. Louis, despite the constant game of musical positions.

Of course, Saffold's first order of business is to stay healthy before anyone can speculate on his possible worth to the Rams or on the open market. But much like the Rams did with Barksdale as Saffold's right tackle replacement, it might serve them well to do everything possible to get a gauge if the Saffold-at-guard experiment would be worthwhile beyond 2013.​

nighttrain

Legend
Saffold at right guard could fill that position for the next decade, hope he digs being elite at guard instead of average at tackle
train

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Saffold at right guard could fill that position for the next decade, hope he digs being elite at guard instead of average at tackle
train
Yeah I like that, in real estate/farmland there is an expression "highest and best use ",that fits:bigup:

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
Though I'd love to see the guy stick around as he's a good player and seemingly great guy...I just don't think he'll want to stay in STL. Maybe it's one of those one year prove it type contracts where he hopes to parlay a year fully healthy into a pay day in 2015.
You know he wants to play tackle, but his Mr. Glass nature has/will prevent that from happening here.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
If I were to guess I'd say RS is a Browns or Bengals fan ,played at Indiana,so I get the he's a homeboy vibe ,SO his performance against the Colts might have been one of THOSE efforts like Cook's was against the Titans.

We'll have 6 games to see if that experiment was a good one but fer now ,it looks good.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I will say this I have never thought Rodger Saffold was anything close to being an average starting OT. I really like him as a OT. I have really been in a quandary over Saffold and his more than likely departure from Ramville. What is one of the weakest starting positions on this Ram team? OLG(Chris williams) or Nickle Back (Finnegan), maybe a safety but TJ McDonald will return soon. What are the multiple stumbling blocks in the way of resigning Saffold?

ITS THE INJURY HISTORY STUPID ... then why would I think that other NFL teams be jumping thru hoops & gleeful at the chance to get into bidding for him & offering up a very nice fat long contract? Has Snead & Fisher really disrespected Saffold first with the move to ORT then to add more fuel to the burning coals second Saffold gets a demotion to back up duty on the bench then third he gets a fill in short term post @ ORG? WOW how that happen??? INJURY you big dummy! Ok I got it...

Maybe its because no other team was hurt by all those games that Saffold missed...the real pain was felt here nowhere else. I still think the pain that Saffold constant injuries cause is still lingering ....what do you think? What could get Snead/Fisher & Saffold to consider a new marriage?? short term or long term? What about those playing-time incentives, salary escalators, through incentives based on playing time and Pro Bowl berths type contracts? But Saffold prefers the left side where he has played since 7th grade...Rams got to go find a starting LEFT OG no argument there.

Saffold's three yrs of injuries while playing OT were very damaging especially in 2011 & 2012 but not so much this season ....why because the Rams finally had a good back up in Joe Barksdale to take & hold the post. If Saffold was purchased to start the OLG post just like the ORT post do the Rams have another Barksdale in the fold?...I will contend if Saffold was to go down once again the Rams will have his post covered just like they did this yr... Rams have
#1-future plan on signing up RFA Shelley Smith & insert him full time in @ OLG in 2014 if they want...Shelley did start there full time back early in 2012 and held up well for a first yr player. Shelley IMO is better than Chris Williams but not by a far degree. 26 yr old Shelley will be entering his third yr. whereas Williams will be 29 yrs old with 7 yrs of the NFL under his belt.
#2- Rams also have the Snead drafted Barrett Jones who will be a 2nd yr player? I have been preached too from many forum members that drafting OL'ers on day one is a waste you can get them later in the draft well Barrett came later in the draft.
#3- Tim Barnes has been a Ram since 2011 & now has two full seasons of Boudreau coaching & teaching.
#4- Ram signed up OLG Mike Persons mid September they seem to like him.
#5-The last other present know prospect for the OLG is Brandon Washington who has been a Ram since early 2012. Brandon started the last pre season game @ OLG, his play @ OLG got him a spot on the 53 player roster.

So is the injury history a real big stumbling block? or is Saffold's ego bigger?So the Rams need a Swing OT & a OLG looks to me that the Rams could get both of those BIG needs filled by one signing ....Saffold to a 2014 contract.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I spotlighted Saffold's play at Guard, and with the exception of a few missed assignments, he was terrific! He got a lot of movement on his man, he made combo blocks, he helped his teammate at RT, several times I saw him blocking his guys 10 yards down the field. I thought he had the best two KEY blocks in the game, including the TD, where he dove all the way down to the ground to block a defender that was shooting the gap and gaining penetration. He was awesome. I think he's the best Guard we have, even with a healthy H. Dahl, after he works a few issues out. I think instinct playing tackle took him out of a couple assignments. I know, BTW, that most of this is all just one big fragmented sentence.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I spotlighted Saffold's play at Guard, and with the exception of a few missed assignments, he was terrific! He got a lot of movement on his man, he made combo blocks, he helped his teammate at RT, several times I saw him blocking his guys 10 yards down the field. I thought he had the best two KEY blocks in the game, including the TD, where he dove all the way down to the ground to block a defender that was shooting the gap and gaining penetration. He was awesome. I think he's the best Guard we have, even with a healthy H. Dahl, after he works a few issues out. I think instinct playing tackle took him out of a couple assignments. I know, BTW, that most of this is all just one big fragmented sentence.

The issue is...do you take the risk of re-signing him with his injury history? Going to be a tough call if he tears it up at OG.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
The issue is...do you take the risk of re-signing him with his injury history? Going to be a tough call if he tears it up at OG.
You'd think any new contract with him would come with health-based incentives and protections.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You'd think any new contract with him would come with health-based incentives and protections.

When he's about to hit FA...not a lot of leverage.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Yeah, and you'd have to draft to back him up, you'd be stupid not to, but he would be great, IMO, if he COULD stay healthy.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Players on IR still count against your cap.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm talking about any contract.

I'm sure they will but you're still going to have to commit some guaranteed dollars and pay him a decent salary...unless the rest of the NFL just swears off of him. I don't see that happening. If Ireland is still there, I think Miami makes a strong push...to "spite" us. :wink:

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I'd be a little more worried, if I was a GM, if Saffold's injuries were all on his knee's for instance. He's had a plethora of injuries, but mostly different one's. That makes him a little harder to assess in my book.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'd be a little more worried, if I was a GM, if Saffold's injuries were all on his knee's for instance. He's had a plethora of injuries, but mostly different one's. That makes him a little harder to assess in my book.

While true, he's had some recurring back issues since college although moving inside might help him stay healthy as a couple of his injuries were from getting rolled up on.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
While true, he's had some recurring back issues since college although moving inside might help him stay healthy as a couple of his injuries were from getting rolled up on.
Truth is, if he gets even better at guard, which I expect, and he stays healthy the rest of the year, he's a tough call for anyone. I'd still back him (through the draft) up if I signed him. He can play 4 positions on the line proficiently...not many can say that. I'd pay him what we pay H. Dahl, I think. Now, I say that "NOT" factoring in the rest of our cap sitch, and what the team's future plans are in that regard. I think he will be worth that if he remains healthy, and progresses.