Most egregious non-call in SB History???

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

oldnotdead

Legend
Time to put a ref in the box for egregious penalties like this. You think they would have done it after NRC's blatant foul in the NFC Championship game. Either that or they need to expand the TD review to include egregious penalties that allowed a TD.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
You sure about this? I don't recall a TD ever being overturned due to some ticky-tack penalty that was away from the play.
Yes. Usually you see the score called back because of a tricky tack call. But it was flaged during the play. To many men and the like are not usually missed by the refs.

FaulkSF

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
FaulkSF
Time to put a ref in the box for egregious penalties like this. You think they would have done it after NRC's blatant foul in the NFC Championship game. Either that or they need to expand the TD review to include egregious penalties that allowed a TD.
They did, they allowed challenges on PI (whether called or not) for the 2019-20 season. However, less than 15% of these challenges were successfully overturned. The PI challenge rule was scrapped going into the 2020-21 season and thereafter.

FaulkSF

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
FaulkSF
Torbert's argument here is the crew and specifically the official did not SEE it. Therefore, the crew could not call it.

Regarding the Van Jefferson PI, they can't call it a PI because it was within 1 yard of the line of scrimmage. However, they could possibly call it a defensive hold. The tweet does not expand further to see if the reporter asked if VJ was restricted on the play to run his route.

SWAdude

And don't call me Shirley
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
John
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Watching the SB again. I may need an intervention but that is for another thread.

I have read all the points on all the threads and blogs and I know I have a problem but I just can't let this go! It was a total momentum changer.

How the hell do two refs miss the mask and the shove. They may have not been able to have seen the mask I will give them that. They were staring at that play. It is NOT the same as the PI mis-call a few years ago. That they made reviewable then not.

But the shove?

That one horrible miss call could have resulted in a completely different moment right now. Which will always be pretty fu**ing good. Because it eventually led to one of the best final drives in SB history followed by an essential sack by the true GOAT when all is considered blah blah blah.

We overcame that and won as true champions do. But damn! That fake TD was almost fatal.

Just to be clear, all the calls on our final drive were 100% legit. That has been established if any Bungle freaks are still trolling here.

Thanks for me wasting a few moments of your life. I feel the love.

Off season feels great with no draft.

Run it back!

GO RAMS!!!

Steve808

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
Watching the SB again. I may need an intervention but that is for another thread.

I have read all the points on all the threads and blogs and I know I have a problem but I just can't let this go! It was a total momentum changer.

How the hell do two refs miss the mask and the shove. They may have not been able to have seen the mask I will give them that. They were staring at that play. It is NOT the same as the PI mis-call a few years ago. That they made reviewable then not.

But the shove?

That one horrible miss call could have resulted in a completely different moment right now. Which will always be pretty fu**ing good. Because it eventually led to one of the best final drives in SB history followed by an essential sack by the true GOAT when all is considered blah blah blah.

We overcame that and won as true champions do. But damn! That fake TD was almost fatal.

Just to be clear, all the calls on our final drive were 100% legit. That has been established if any Bungle freaks are still trolling here.

Run it back!

GO RAMS!!!

I like your post but I would have rather the Rams win 23 - 10 and no drama than with a bad call that kept the Bengals in. Not to mention that we may have blown them out if not for the bad call.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yeah. Absolutely let it go. It doesn't mean s..t! Super Bowls just don't call penalties, except last couple minutes or so. Look at how screwed we were in the first Pats Super Bowl loss. No one ever mentions the Warner hands to the face or Brady's intentional grounding on the last scoring drive.

LET IT GO!
Who are we, cast members of Frozen?

dang

Legend

But the shove?

Run it back!

GO RAMS!!!
I’m with you. Missed calls are part of the game but how that was missed is beyond me. However the real injustice is NO one came out and said that was a horribly missed call that could have given the Bucs the game AND a statement on what the league was going to do to NEVER let that happen again in ANY game (much less from the “best” officiating crew in the league during the goddamn Super Bowl). That is just inexcusable and will never be forgotten by those who saw it and give a rats ass.

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
The worst call is in bradys first SB against the rams. In the game winning drive he takes the snap, spins around 300 degrees to his left and throws an air ball to the right side of the field with no player within 15 yards. Worst intentional grounding but no flag. Woulda forced ot. Also on that drive which you can watch on YouTube, if you have a strong stomach, you will see Troy brown's knee touch at least a foot inbounds way before his hand downs the ball out of bounds. Both plays enabled the winning fg. At least we won with Cincinnati so I wouldn't call it the worse missed penalty

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
Bengals TD when Ramsey had his face-mask pulled. It was the first play of the half. No other players were in the vicinity. It is a 70+ yard bomb that is obviously going for a TD if the CB is grounded. How can they miss that?

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
I really think they just had a bad angle to see it and that will continue to happen so they need a ref in the booth that can look at all scoring plays and can overturn them if there was a blatant penalty like that. Not saying they should be looking at all 11 players for holding and shit like that but something like the play we saw should have been and would easily have been called back.

FaulkSF

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
FaulkSF
You're too logical @wolfdogg , but the NFL rulebook states officials cannot call a penalty on a TD review. Maybe that's something the rule committee wants to consider for 2023 at their spring meeting.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
I look at it like this, we got away with one against N.O to go to the SB with the NRC no call. We survived one in the SB, it is all even now and i like where we sit.

SWAdude

And don't call me Shirley
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
John
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I look at it like this, we got away with one against N.O to go to the SB with the NRC no call. We survived one in the SB, it is all even now and i like where we sit.
Of course I have thought about that.

I believe this is far different than a bam bam play where the two refs discussed the call.

Two refs were staring at this developing play and both missed the face mask (one call) and the shove off (another call).

Two separate calls missed on one play that we all saw after the fact.

My belief is both those refs saw at least one but was not certain and it was a TD in a Super Bowl.

Tough position to be in and later in the game did not keep the flags in their pockets when they saw what they saw.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
Of course, I have thought about that.

I believe this is far different than a bam bam play where the two refs discussed the call.

Two refs were staring at this developing play and both missed the face mask (one call) and the shove off (another call).

Two separate calls missed on one play that we all saw after the fact.

My belief is both those refs saw at least one but was not certain and it was a TD in a Super Bowl.

Tough position to be in and later in the game did not keep the flags in their pockets when they saw what they saw.
Obviously it is not a quid pro quo scenario it just helps me assimilate and move on. It is somewhat analogous in a strange way. It was a strangely reffed game and it was a bad missed call but the desired result remained in place.

Steve808

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
All that defensive holding that wasn't called in SB36

And the tapes handed over by Matt Walsh showing the Patriots cheating by filming the Rams practice but destroyed by Goodell before allowing anyone to see it.

Steve808

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve

I don't buy that because the Saints got away with a blatant facemask against Goff on the drive before that play. That facemask might have changed the entire script because if the Rams scored a TD, the saints would have needed a TD to win.

Oh, and the Saints got away with donkey stomping Goff and another Rams player (after the play was over) which would also have resulted in 15 yard penalties.,

And........... One ref's job is to watch the QB and how could he not see Goff's head twisted by someone grabbing his facemask near the goal line?