Most egregious non-call in SB History???

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

dang

Legend
So let’s go back to the 49ers playoff game. The refs threw a flag on Scotts sternum breaker on Samuel thinking such a huge hit had to be a penalty. They picked it up but threw the flag based on the result without any clue as to the action causing it. So fast forward to the Super Bowl. Ramsey was in perfect position. The throw was short and inside yet Ramsey’s head twisted 120 degrees resulting in him immediately going to the ground. Giving the ref a bit of a break that he didn’t see the hand on the face mask but he surely saw a very odd result without any clue as to the action causing it. Why not throw the flag based on the result and let replay determine if the action causing it warranted a penalty. And god forbid they review that play snd not see one of the most blatant face masks in the history of NFL playoff history. Your honor I rest my case.

Tano

Legend
I think there should be a ref using the eye in the sky who is only allowed to review blatant errors.

The only problem - what is considered "Blatant"?

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
Here is what one Bengal fan actually said to me, it's different the Refs didn't call it, so you can only complain about calls not non calls because they don't exist.
Tell him, Then why did everybody complain about the PI non call in our NFCC against NO.

Noregar

Starter
Name
Roger
The best team won!. What gets me is the hypocrisy of the Bengal fans crying about the holding penalty on Kupp (which it was). They are a bunch of whiny &!t(#6s.

Cincinnati had a major missed penalty in their favor that gifted them seven points, the Rams lost a major weapon in OBJ that stalled the offense for much of the second half. Despite all of that the Rams overcame those obstacles and still won because they were clearly the superior team.

The Bengals offense had a chance with their "great" young QB at the end, to win the game but the Rams shut them down. Any Bengal fan that complains about the holding penalty on Kupp can suck it!

Rams fans that complains about the missed OPI call are righteously justified.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Tell him, Then why did everybody complain about the PI non call in our NFCC against NO.
I said that believe me, but let's be honest here, some fans are delusional. It's not easy at times discussing football with certain individuals when it's about your teams.

I remember all the Cowboy fans up and in arms when the non catch was called against the Packers, but they were benefits of officiating the week before against Detroit. So I was making a point that officiating is like beauty, it's in the eye of the beholder.

FaulkSF

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
FaulkSF
I was thinking I was missing something on this play and couldn't figure it out. It's the official's positioning. When Higgins face masks Ramsey, the official was right on top of the play and could only see both players' backs.

The official ideally should be five yards in front or behind the play. Two reasons: 1) It's a safety issue for the referee. If the players collide and go out of bounds, the referee is going to get tackled and possibly hurt. 2) Field of vision. When you put distance between yourself and the play, your field of vision expands. E.g. On a running play at close distance you can only see the runner and the tackler. Give yourself another five yards, and you can see blocks developing and cite holds and blocks in the back.

Five yards in front or behind the play, the official broadens his vision and can see the OPI/face mask and a flag would be thrown. Right on top of the play, the official sees their backs.

Neil039

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So let’s go back to the 49ers playoff game. The refs threw a flag on Scotts sternum breaker on Samuel thinking such a huge hit had to be a penalty. They picked it up but threw the flag based on the result without any clue as to the action causing it. So fast forward to the Super Bowl. Ramsey was in perfect position. The throw was short and inside yet Ramsey’s head twisted 120 degrees resulting in him immediately going to the ground. Giving the ref a bit of a break that he didn’t see the hand on the face mask but he surely saw a very odd result without any clue as to the action causing it. Why not throw the flag based on the result and let replay determine if the action causing it warranted a penalty. And god forbid they review that play snd not see one of the most blatant face masks in the history of NFL playoff history. Your honor I rest my case.
Too rational! You’re making too much sense and by now your ROD account has been flagged by the league..lol

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Pereira submitted a proposal to move the umpire from between the linebackers to opposite the referee that lines up on one side of the QB. I don't know the exact reasoning behind this, but it was likely done out of official safety, offensive line holding, and the NFL employs eight on field officials and two review officials (on site + NY).

Had the umpire position not been moved, they should have free lanced their sight from the line (GCG) and tracked where the ball was being passed. This would have given them a great view of the grab and pull.

You'll notice the field judge official (?) in the replay would only have seen the backs of both Higgins and Ramsey, and may have seen what appeared to be a contested ball that Higgins won. They can't review the penalty on site or NY in this situation. This review was only a pilot for one year thanks to Asshole Face.

TL;DR: Field judge had a great view of Ramsey's and Higgins' backs. NFL needs to reconsider getting an umpire back on the defensive side of the field. See Higgins/Ramsey and Dallas (spots the ball) game.
I read somewhere that the head ref guy said they did see the face mask. But it looked to them that the hand just raked across the mask and didn't grab it. Obviously they were wrong. That play woulda been the one making the social media rounds if the Rams didn't come back from it. Luckily they did. In this day and age there will always be accusations of refs losing the game for a team no matter the circumstance. I'm just glad our boys overcame that one.

dang

Legend
In the handbook for calling blatant calls with the “eye in the sky” - the chapter regarding Blatant face masks will show the play where Higgins face mask on Ramsey as “the” text book example for blatant face masks.

LouisvilleRam

Hall of Fame
As much as I agree with you, imagine being a Saints fan. Sometimes the calls go with you, sometimes against you.
For us, this wasn't a game changer in terms of we lost the chance to go to a SB..
On the other hand, had the call gone against us (as it probably should have) we aren't playing the pats in the SB in 19'
saints-jared-goff-facemask.jpg

and if this obvious face mask was called we would have been set up first and goal

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
View attachment 52772
and if this obvious face mask was called we would have been set up first and goal

What I can't believe is the Rams didn't flood the media with that play after the game to push back against the ridiculous reaction to the game. It was so stupid I wasn't sure if I was watching a spoof of reality. But it was all so real. And sad.

And gave the refs the green light to once again hand Brady another superbowl on a platter. Sickening.

FaulkSF

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
FaulkSF
I read somewhere that the head ref guy said they did see the face mask. But it looked to them that the hand just raked across the mask and didn't grab it. Obviously they were wrong. That play woulda been the one making the social media rounds if the Rams didn't come back from it. Luckily they did. In this day and age there will always be accusations of refs losing the game for a team no matter the circumstance. I'm just glad our boys overcame that one.
My recollection was Torbert spoke to a pool of reporters. He said the official did not see the face mask on the play. But given the reporter's description of the play, it would have merited a foul.

Torbert is a former attorney who chose his words carefully to not throw his official that was assigned to his crew under the bus.

My guess is the two of them had a discussion about that play and positioning after the game. Both are greatly relieved the play did not have an impact on the end result of the game.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame

what i don't get is everyone saw ramsey flying through the air for 5 yards. my initial reaction was that he was pushed off. why wouldn't the refs throw the flag then have a discussion and ask new york if they saw anything? if there was nothing there they would pick up the flag. once they did nothing it was over and couldn't be overturned. it's just the illogical way to do it.

Two problems with this. First, if officials got in the habit of "just throwing a flag and then checking if New York video saw anything," this would seriously call into question the integrity of the officials. Refs should be trained to throw a flag if and only if they see a penalty. If the ref doesn't see a foul, then don't throw a flag. If the refs throw a flag because "I didn't see a foul but maybe replay will reveal something," that's asking for a huge amount of unintended consequences.

Secondly, pass interference is not reviewable. They tried that for a year and it didn't work out that well-- there was still plenty of controversy, and it slowed down the game.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
All scoring plays are reviewed, yes? Apparently PI is not something that can be called after the fact. Kinda silly if you ask me. This should have come back regardless of whether the ref saw it in real time....

dang

Legend
All scoring plays are reviewed, yes? Apparently PI is not something that can be called after the fact. Kinda silly if you ask me. This should have come back regardless of whether the ref saw it in real time....
So what exactly is reviewed when “all scoring plays are reviewed “? Is it restricted to validating the player scored or does it go broader to validate no penalties occurred during the scoring play?

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
So what exactly is reviewed when “all scoring plays are reviewed “? Is it restricted to validating the player scored or does it go broader to validate no penalties occurred during the scoring play?
anything that falls under reviewable. Which doesnt include pass interference. Possession, to many men on the field, out of play or goal line and the like.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Two problems with this. First, if officials got in the habit of "just throwing a flag and then checking if New York video saw anything," this would seriously call into question the integrity of the officials. Refs should be trained to throw a flag if and only if they see a penalty. If the ref doesn't see a foul, then don't throw a flag. If the refs throw a flag because "I didn't see a foul but maybe replay will reveal something," that's asking for a huge amount of unintended consequences.

Secondly, pass interference is not reviewable. They tried that for a year and it didn't work out that well-- there was still plenty of controversy, and it slowed down the game.

first, they saw the db flying through the air. that's not normal. they should know something happened.

secondly, i didn't say to review it.

dang

Legend
anything that falls under reviewable. Which doesnt include pass interference. Possession, to many men on the field, out of play or goal line and the like.
Thanks for the clarification. Then if a blatant (probably one of the most blatant) face mask occurs and they reviewed the play - is there any reason they couldn’t have subsequently called a blatant (probably one of the most blatant) face mask penalty? Because if not then they purposefully ignored a blatant (likely the most blatant) face mask penalty in playoff history.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
Thanks for the clarification. Then if a blatant (probably one of the most blatant) face mask occurs and they reviewed the play - is there any reason they couldn’t have subsequently called a blatant (probably one of the most blatant) face mask penalty? Because if not then they purposefully ignored a blatant (likely the most blatant) face mask penalty in playoff history.
Under the rules the replay officials have no choice but to ignore. Pass interference and holding are not reviewable.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
You sure about this? I don't recall a TD ever being overturned due to some ticky-tack penalty that was away from the play.