Most dynamic: 2001 St. Louis Rams

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
<a class="postlink" href="http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/78269/shows-2001-finale-was-too-soon-for-rams" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/ ... n-for-rams</a>

Most dynamic: 2001 St. Louis Rams

Editor’s note: ESPN.com revisits the NFL’s most compelling teams since Y2K with a five-part “Most Dynamic Teams of the Century” series. We begin with the Greatest Show on Turf -- the 2001 St. Louis Rams.

The Greatest Show on Turf won one Super Bowl, lost another and unraveled so furiously that its epitaph requires some reassembly.

Dramatic narratives have sought to explain why the St. Louis Rams fell so hard after a 1999-2001 run featuring three consecutive MVP awards, a 37-11 record and an average of 32.7 points per game.

Coach Mike Martz’s ego swallowed the team, some say. Front-office infighting poisoned the culture. Quarterback Kurt Warner’s deteriorating health precipitated a controversial and regrettable departure. Draft failures wrecked the roster. The team lost its soul when key role players departed in free agency.

Whatever the reasons, the Rams were never the same after Adam Vinatieri delivered an 48-yard field goal to put the underdog New England Patriots past St. Louis 20-17 in Super Bowl XXXVI, launching one NFL dynasty at the expense of another.

MOST DYNAMIC TEAMS OF THE CENTURY
ESPN.com revisits five of the most compelling NFL teams since Y2K:

Monday: 2001 St. Louis Rams
Tuesday: 2011 Denver Broncos
Wednesday: 2004 Philadelphia Eagles
Thursday: 2010 Minnesota Vikings
Friday: 2007 New England Patriots

Throw in spying allegations against New England as a Super Bowl subplot -- more on that in a bit -- and those 2001 Rams easily qualify on ESPN.com’s short list for "Most Dynamic Teams of the Century." They're relevant for what they accomplished and for what happened next: a 7-9 record in 2002 and just one additional winning season for the Rams to this day.

About that epitaph ...

"It's one that escapes me as to how, one, we didn't stay together and, two, how things from that point forward did not continue to roll on," Hall of Fame running back Marshall Faulk said recently.

If only the Rams could have known then what has become apparent now.

"Success is something that you have to know how you are going to deal with it before it hits you," Faulk said. "We ran into that in a sense of people wanted credit for putting the team together. Guys on the team who had roles, they wanted to move on and become the actual guy."

So, while some of the Patriots’ core players stuck around instead of chasing more prominent roles elsewhere -- Mike Vrabel and Tedy Bruschi come to mind -- the Rams watched Grant Wistrom, Kevin Carter, London Fletcher and others cash in elsewhere. And who could blame them? Certainly not Faulk, who had escaped Indianapolis via trade and became an MVP in St. Louis. Teams look out for their own interests, and players often must do the same. But free agency has proven over time that money doesn’t always buy the right fit.

"That core group of guys that might not be the highest paid, might not be the most visible guys, their roles and them understanding the roles is kind of what keeps it together," Faulk said. "They might not be the guys who make it into the Hall of Fame, but they are for more or less a lot of the reasons why a lot of games are won, multiple championships are won."

Defensive back Aeneas Williams, himself a Hall of Fame finalist in recent years, was new to the Rams in 2001. The team expected Williams to do for the defense what Faulk had done for the offense. That wasn't far from what happened.

Williams famously picked off Brett Favre twice in the playoffs that postseason, returning both for touchdowns. He clinched the Rams' Super Bowl berth by picking off Donovan McNabb late in the NFC Championship Game.

With Williams and first-year coordinator Lovie Smith, that Rams defense ranked among the NFL's statistical leaders almost across the board, a reversal from 2000. They were third in yards, fifth in yards per play, third in rushing yards, sixth in net yards per pass attempt, second in first downs, sixth in third-down conversion rate and seventh in scoring.

"It was one of the best seasons I had, not just the winning but the amount of talent and the amount of humility that was on the team," Williams said. "That team was special."

The Rams knew it, too. They were 3-0 and coming off a 42-10 victory over the Miami Dolphins when Smith, recently hired away from Tony Dungy's staff in Tampa Bay, delivered just the right message. Players were reveling in the victory and newfound elite status of the defense when Smith stood up to address the team. He listed off the team's accomplishments and exulted in how good it all felt. Players exulted along with him.

2001 ST. LOUIS RAMS
BANG FOR THE BUZZ

4.5 (1-5 scale). These Rams had it all. A pass-first offense, a ball-hawking defense and a front-row seat for the launching of the Patriots' disputed dynasty.

OUTSHINED
New England Patriots. The 2001 Rams were, by all accounts, the best team in football that year. They had the best record, three consecutive MVPs and were two-touchdown favorites in the Super Bowl. The Patriots had other ideas.

BEYOND THE BUZZ
The Rams plummeted from 37-11 over a three-year period, including 14-2 in 2001, to just 7-9 in 2002. They enjoyed just one winning season over the next 11 years ... and counting.

KEY NUMBERS: 1st and 7th
Those were the 2001 Rams' rankings in points scored and allowed, respectively. They fell to 23rd in both categories the following season.

Smith then delivered a message that resonates with Williams to this day.

"There are some of you who are still making the same mistakes, and I'm telling you that we are looking to replace you," Smith told the team.

Silence.

There was nothing condescending or demeaning about Smith's delivery or his message. He did not name names. But the message was clear.

"To have that sobering thought from your leader in such a respectful and honoring way, which was intentional as it relates to accountability, I'll never forget it," Williams said. "The teams that have coaches who hold the players accountable no matter how good they are will be the ones that consistently win."

And yet the way that 2001 Rams season ended, and what happened next, might always publicly define that team more than the 14-2 record or revitalized defense.

"That team was loaded," Faulk said. "But this is why we play the greatest sport. There is no Game 5. No Game 7. There is one game, and you have to get it right or it doesn't matter how great you were the rest of the year."

Williams, now a pastor in St. Louis, pointed to the Rams' relatively narrow 24-17 victory over the Patriots during the regular season in suggesting the fat Super Bowl point spread was more about perception than reality. He downplayed the Spygate angle while acknowledging that some teammates are more passionate about whatever advantages the Patriots might have gleaned through taping opponents' hand signals or worse.

"Without knowing, we can only speculate," Williams said. "I relish the moment and the other thing, once we played 16 games and two or three playoff games, rarely are you fooled by what a team does. In that game, it boils down to turnovers."

Faulk carries a different perspective as someone familiar with every aspect of the Rams' offensive plan. He questions whether the Patriots could have anticipated previously unused wrinkles without spying. He has alluded in the past to red zone and third-down plays. The Rams scored on their lone red zone possession. Pressed for specifics, Faulk cited the way New England adjusted to tweaks in the way Faulk went into motion, including on Warner's quarterback sneak for a touchdown in the fourth quarter.

"It's extremely hard to tell you what it was, or what we did, but I will say this," Faulk explained. "The play that Kurt Warner scored on, Mike [Martz] drew that up in the dirt. The motion that I used on that play, I would love to show it to you and love to show you other plays how I went in motion and what I did so you could see it. It's just talk when you talk, but here is what we normally do and this is what we put into this game."

Related comments from Faulk made waves during Super Bowl week. Then as now, Faulk wearies of charges he's pushing conspiracy theories.

"I didn’t make the news, I didn’t make up the news about what happened, but it is what it is," he said. "You accept the loss. They beat us. It happens. You are going to lose games. Is Bill Belichick a great mind? Yes.

"But when a guy like Aeneas Williams sits at home and has to wonder whether he lost the Super Bowl or was cheated out of it, that is who I feel bad for."

Faulk, Warner, Fletcher, Wistrom, Carter, Isaac Bruce, Torry Holt, Orlando Pace, Leonard Little and others from that 2001 team can reflect knowing they won it all two years earlier. For some, that Super Bowl against New England would be as close as they came to football immortality. At least they can know the 2001 team will not be forgotten anytime soon.

ramsince62

Hall of Fame
Nice read.....in my 51 years as a fan (damn that sounds like a long time) and season ticket holder during Knox's first rein, the 2001 team was the best I can remember and man, that includes a lot of history and memories often lost in the data base.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Agreed. I have never, EVER seen a better team. Such a shame.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I liked the 2000 team better. It wasn't a better team but it was more fun to watch our offense air it out all the time because of the crappy D.

What a great game to start the season against the Broncos.
41-36

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
albefree69 said:
I liked the 2000 team better. It wasn't a better team but it was more fun to watch our offense air it out all the time because of the crappy D.

What a great game to start the season against the Broncos.
41-36

I remember that game like the back of my hand!

I had friends over. We BBQ'd. Lots of cold beer. The game was heart wrenching. But... a fun win.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
CGI_Ram reminiscing:
I remember that game like the back of my hand!

I had friends over. We BBQ'd. Lots of cold beer. The game was heart wrenching. But... a fun win.

I would describe it as heart pounding! :zomg:

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
It makes me angry as a fan knowing what happened there. It made me angry as I watched it unfold and The Show was left to fall apart.

It took me until Martz came out and admitted he did it wrong to get over it in my football mind. Even then reading about it stirs a little vinegar.

Dynasty.......blown apart and wasted.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
After being a fan of the Big Red since I was a little kid and barely even sniffing a playoff game in all those years I'm mainly grateful we had what we did.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

for all the cheating the patriots did that day the game was there to be won. who here didn't think the game was won when prohel dived over for the game tying td?

still can't believe they went prevent when only a fg was needed for the patriots to win the game. it blows my mind.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
[espn]9416219[/espn]
<a class="postlink" href="http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=espn:9416219" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=espn:9416219</a>

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
kurtfaulk said:

for all the cheating the patriots did that day the game was there to be won. who here didn't think the game was won when prohel dived over for the game tying td?

still can't believe they went prevent when only a fg was needed for the patriots to win the game. it blows my mind.

Actually, they didn't go prevent. They forced Brady to throw one pass away to the sideline while he was still between the hashmarks. Another penalty on Brady that didn't get called. That would have been 2nd and 20.

But if I wasn't exactly certain of a fix then, I was absolutely sure when they allowed the final 2 seconds to run off after Vinatieri's FG cleared the bar. I stood in front of my tv, screaming disbelief.

Then my wife forced me to sit down for dinner and shut up.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
albefree69 said:
After being a fan of the Big Red since I was a little kid and barely even sniffing a playoff game in all those years I'm mainly grateful we had what we did.

EXACTLY how I felt.
When Kurt went out with the broken digit I said a prayer thanking God for letting me see what was the most remarkable stretch of football I'd ever seen.

Fans become spoiled by success, it's something I fight against.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
Thordaddy in sync with me:
EXACTLY how I felt.
When Kurt went out with the broken digit I said a prayer thanking God for letting me see what was the most remarkable stretch of football I'd ever seen.

Exactly Thordaddy! No matter how successful we are in the future I doubt we'll ever get another nickname like GSOT and to have been there to enjoy it is one of the highlights in my life.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
albefree69 said:
Thordaddy in sync with me:
EXACTLY how I felt.

Exactly Thordaddy! No matter how successful we are in the future I doubt we'll ever get another nickname like GSOT and to have been there to enjoy it is one of the highlights in my life.
It always tickles me when the writers talk about the worst stretch of football EVER with this team SINCE the end of the GSOT,I always say better to be a has been than a never was.

biggame1190

Starter
Name
CB
Count me in the minority that thinks the 2001-02 Rams were slightly better than the 1999-00 Rams. Unfortunately we were cheated out of another championship.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
biggame1190 said:
Count me in the minority that thinks the 2001-02 Rams were slightly better than the 1999-00 Rams. Unfortunately we were cheated out of another championship.

Yeah, I'll never forgive Goodell for the coverup.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
biggame1190 said:

I think they were better in 2001 than 1999 too. Not better coached but they were clicking because they had been in the same O and everyone was always on the same page. Also Martz used the run that year and didn't abandon it until the next year.

Little talked about fact. When he abandoned the run thats when the Show fell apart.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
LesBaker said:
biggame1190 said:

I think they were better in 2001 than 1999 too. Not better coached but they were clicking because they had been in the same O and everyone was always on the same page. Also Martz used the run that year and didn't abandon it until the next year.

Zero doubt in my mind; the Rams were the best team in the NFL in 2001. Had the Patriots not filmed our walk-thru... we win SB 36. No doubt.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
CGI_Ram said:
LesBaker said:
biggame1190 said:

Zero doubt in my mind; the Rams were the best team in the NFL in 2001. Had the Patriots not filmed our walk-thru... we win SB 36. No doubt.

The 99 team scored 526 points, the 01 team scored 503. Yes some were defensive scores but lets say that's a wash. The 99 team had a way easier schedule and snuck up on teams, there was no tape early on to look through. 01 played 6 of the top 10 defenses and still torched people and by then it was no secret what they were doing you just couldn't stop them from doing it.

Give the 01 team the element of surprise and the schedule the 99 team had and rather than 14-2 or 13-3 they would have very possibly gone 16-0.