More WR signings...what gives?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Once I saw Sam Rogers I knew Laskey was a goner!(y)
First off FB Laskey has been injured since his signing last season & can not stay healthy any length of time to find out just what he can do. He spent the entire 2016 season on the IR. Laskey has spent this TC with another assortment of non serious injuries even now.

Sam Rogers from that I have read is killing it, does everything generally good but his Tude is uplifting to the his team player & there a ton of folks who just love the taste of those little Fireballs. A true legit blocking back, a back up RB, a PR & KR if you want him too & can play an assortment of ST posts. I have heard he also has a great set of hands.

Then there veteran FB Harley who is finally learning his first NFL offense, after five Fisher seasons. Harkey had a years vacation in 2016 when our OC planned & wrote him out of the offense game plan & went with Kendricks & Higbee as his TE's.

Justin Thomas has long speed that might develop into a quality kick or punt returner. Said to be tough and competitive, blazing 40-yard dash time at his pro day too & has reactive quickness to be targeted as a receiver.

http://theramswire.usatoday.com/201...a-tech-qb-turned-wide-receiver-justin-thomas/

https://www.fromtherumbleseat.com/g...eview-prospects-justin-thomas-harrison-butker
QB/RB/WR/CB/KR/PR Justin Thomas
So we’re getting started with one of the most dynamic players to ever play on the Flats in Justin Thomas. Unless a team is absolutely desperate, I don’t see Thomas playing quarterback in the NFL. Sure there are examples of shorter guys like Russell Wilson displaying success at quarterback, but more often than not, teams tend to stray away from the shorter guys.

The main thing that teams are going to love about Justin Thomas is the fact that he is versatile. All of the positions I listed him at above are all potential positions he could play at the next level, so the team that would be drafting him could plug him in virtually anywhere. Unfortunately, this is also a weakness Thomas has, as he hasn’t played anything but quarterback in an actual game since high school.

Looking at Thomas as a prospect, he’s got just about everything you want in a prototypical slot receiver. He’s not just fast, but he’s also quick and can avoid tackles. At Georgia Tech’s pro day, Thomas was clocked going in the 4.3-4.4 range in the 40-yard dash. Now, in today’s NFL, it’s not enough just to be fast, so Thomas also had to display that he can catch too, which he did a pretty impressive job of. It’s been reported from his pro day that Thomas was able to make a very acrobatic catch in the end zone which drew some applause from the onlooking crowd.

Now, since Thomas has played quarterback for his entire collegiate career, the weaknesses for him are a little obvious, in that he hasn’t played any position but quarterback, so there’s going to be a huge learning curve for him no matter what position he ends up at. But if a team is willing to take a chance on him and take the time to properly develop him, he could end up being a pretty solid NFL player.

Last edited:

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
I wonder if McVay is getting guys with high wonderlic scores?. Maybe he is going for just skill, but I see him as a guy who wants people to understand the game also. If so TA is on a very very short leash.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Germany looks pretty good on Film! I just don't see why we are brining in more WR's, considering how many good ones we have on our roster!
Speed Dave...plays don't really work without speed on the field....probably wants to see if the defense is as good as it's looked the last few days.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
My guess is they're practice squad guys, and we've already found our fullback so Laskey isn't needed.

Pretty much. Both are extreme longshots, but you never know. When you have a great teaching staff, and I think the Rams do now on both sides of the ball, you can definitely unearth some gems and very few guys are really safe.

Just Snead casting a wide net and getting a look at some guys that he probably had earmarked.

Ramification

Happy at the Coliseum again
I was a HUGH Spruce supporter last camp. I still am but I'm not seeing what I had hoped to see from him this camp. You know, that eye test we all talk about but can't quantify.

You may be correct and like @kurtfaulk said, people are gonna get ticked.

Who is Hugh Spruce? I have to keep up with the roster.

Seriously, I haven't seen him in camp, but I hear he is making plays and catching everything again. This year he's in with 1s and 2s, so that might make a difference in what you are seeing. Performance in preseason games will tell the story.

My analysis is that he can and will play in the NFL. But just like every other evaluation posted here by anyone not named McVay, mine doesn't mean s#!+.

Snaz

Pro Bowler
Name
Shawn
Last year Spruce was the only guy that wasn't dropping balls. There are now multiple receivers that can catch, so he's not as special. Dude deserves a shot, he worked his ass off, got bigger, and hopefully the injuries were a fluke.

Also the new receivers offer that deep threat we are seriously missing.

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
Who is Hugh Spruce?
hughjackman.jpg

serbian-spruce-3.jpg

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Spruce has also been with special teams as a gunner and fielding punts. He was lining up as a wide out with the ones and lined up in the slot more than once with the ones. (Monday, seen from the beer tent with Vet):dizzy::homercrawl:

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
If true. Is anyone really upset about that?... More options for McVay.
doing their due diligence is how i see it. Not like he is getting a major contract or any guaranteed money. Thomas and now maybe even TA are out for awhile. Need some speed

WestCoastRam

Legend
Tavon and Thomas are injured. Reynolds is the only other player on the roster with speed.

ZN on another forum said and I agree they have to practice McVay's offense and it's an offense predicated on having at least one speedster stretching the field.

They's guys will be cut once Tavon and Thomas are back in the fold (though I worry about Thomas losing a ton of ground being injured and out for 1/4 of the season, his usefulness is quickly speeding towards zero this year).

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
KD Cannon on his 3rd team as an undrafted free agent while rosters are still at 90 per team makes you think he must have a crappy attitude - he is too talented for teams like the 9ers and Jets to cut before they need to make cuts. Let's hope he gets the wake up call this time.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I wonder if McVay is getting guys with high wonderlic scores?. Maybe he is going for just skill, but I see him as a guy who wants people to understand the game also. If so TA is on a very very short leash.

I think it's skill set. Most of the teams that are hugely successful passing the ball have a group of guys with good hands and divergent skill sets, they have different types of WR's. Not a typical #1, #2 and so on. They have "types of weapons" to deploy depending on what the play caller feels like dialing up.

That said I'm not sure it's McVay getting these guys, though he probably has some input like most coaches do.

Just Snead casting a wide net and getting a look at some guys that he probably had earmarked.

This is a facet of roster building that Snead is very, very good at. He calls it finding hidden gems. Worst case he has some guys on the practice squad that are familiar with the scheme and can can a football. Best case he finds one or two guys who contribute to wins for very little money.

Also the new receivers offer that deep threat we are seriously missing.

Austin is a great deep threat, we've seen him do it.

He can be that player with a decent play designer. And that's what we have now correct?

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
KD Cannon on his 3rd team as an undrafted free agent while rosters are still at 90 per team makes you think he must have a crappy attitude - he is too talented for teams like the 9ers and Jets to cut before they need to make cuts. Let's hope he gets the wake up call this time.
IMHO, the 9ers are not "weak" at the WR position. they have some guys there. But yeah ... I think Canon is needing an attitude adjustment. would be nice if McVay could be the savant that awakens him

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
For those keeping track.

11Austin, Tavon WR 5-8 179 27 5 West Virginia
3 Cannon, K.D. WR 5-11 183 21 R Baylor
10 Cooper, Pharoh WR 5-11 207 22 2 South Carolina
13 Germany, C.J. WR 5-11 180 23 R Notre Dame College
18 Kupp, Cooper WR 6-2 205 24 R Eastern Washington
15 Marquez, Bradley WR 5-10 205 24 3 Texas Tech