More Cheating? Nah, can't be.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
What bets on Penn State are you referring to? Sorry, I never paid attention to the Penn State stuff because it was too disturbing. I know they were banned for like a year or something. I'm thinking there might have been some forfeits, too? Is that what you're referring to? The gambling on those games pales in comparison to the amount of gambling on the Super Bowl. There were billions(maybe more) bet on the three SB's the Pats were in. There would be a huge problem if Goodell took those wins away from NE. People would be wanting all that money back from those bets.

We'll never know for sure but I feel it played a part in Goodell's decision to destroy the tapes and try and sweep it under the rug. Either way, I HATE the Patriots more than any team in pro-sports history. There is nothing honorable about them and the fact that the media puts them on a pedestal makes me sick.
Until recently, the NCAA wiped out every win Penn State had from the time the crimes were first reported until the issue became exposed, for a total of 112 wins (111 under Joe Paterno). I'm going to leave that at that because a thread on the topic was locked.

But Vegas didn't go and refund all bets made against Penn State from years and years of games (or try collect on bets made for them), so I can't imagine they'd leap to do so if the Patriots were appropriately punished or that they were a a significant impediment to doing so.

rams2050

Starter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/01/19/league-confirms-ball-deflation-investigation/

League confirms ball-deflation investigation
Posted by Mike Florio on January 19, 2015, 7:45 AM EST
deflated-football.jpg
Getty Images

So much for the Colts-Patriots game being not nearly as intriguing as the Packers-Seahawks game.

Via Bob Glauber of Newsday, the NFL has confirmed the existence of an investigation regarding whether the balls were properly inflated in the AFC title game.

Rule 2 of the official NFL rule book requires that each team make “12 primary balls available for testing” two hours and 15 minutes before kickoff. The home team must make 12 backup balls available, and the visiting team may bring another 12 backup balls for games to be played outdoors.

Several years ago, in an effort to prevent any doctoring of balls used in the kicking game, the NFL adopted a rule that six new, specially-marked kicking balls would be used for each game, with the boxes opened by the officials two hours and 15 minutes before kickoff.

All balls remain under the supervision of the referee until they are delivered to the ball attendant shortly before kickoiff.

The existence of the investigation, as initially reported by Bob Kravitz of WTHR-TV in Indianapolis, suggests that the referee failed to properly check the specifications of the balls, the referee didn’t properly secure the balls before they were given to the ball attendant, or something happened to the balls after they were given to the ball attendant.

rams2050

Starter
Scuttlebutt says that Goodell was hanging out with Robert Kraft on Saturday night. Not even a semblance of impartiality, is there?

rams2050

Starter
Source: Several abnormal balls were removed from Colts-Pats game
Posted by Mike Florio on January 19, 2015, 9:27 AM EST

As the NFL looks into the question of whether the Patriots removed air from footballs used in Sunday’s AFC title game, one conclusion already has been reached. Per a league source, several balls were removed from play for being underinflated.

The inflation (or lack thereof) of footballs is checked before each game, and the balls are periodically tested during each game.

According to the source, it’s “not unheard of” for a ball to be removed from play for an abnormality noticed during the game.

In this case, given that “several” were abnormal, the questions become: (1) how did it happen?; and (2) was it deliberate?

The investigation is ongoing.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...rmal-balls-were-removed-from-colts-pats-game/

Blue and Gold

Pro Bowler
Name
B and G
Bill Belichick: We’ll cooperate fully with NFL investigation into under-inflated balls
Posted by Josh Alper on January 19, 2015, 4:21 PM EST
cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznptqxotizn2izzjdmywuwmjq3nmvkmzrlngvkndm0mjc0.jpeg
AP
As you’ve likely heard by now, the NFL isconducting an investigation into whether the Patriots were using under-inflated balls during their AFC Championship game victory over the Colts.

Patriots coach Bill Belichick has heard about the investigation and addressed it during a conference call with the media on Monday afternoon. Belichick said he wasn’t aware of any issue with the balls the Patriots were using until Monday and said that he and the team will do whatever the league asks during the investigation.

“We’ll cooperate fully with whatever the league wants, whatever questions they ask, whatever they want us to do,” Belichick said, via the Boston Herald.

It’s not clear how long the league’s investigation is expected to take, although it doesn’t seem like it should take an overly extended period to find out any irregularities involving the game balls during Sunday’s game. Should those irregularities be tied to a deliberate effort by the Patriots to deflate the balls, there would likely be punishment handed down from the league in the form of fines and/or the loss of a draft pick or draft picks.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Should those irregularities be tied to a deliberate effort by the Patriots to deflate the balls, there would likely be punishment handed down from the league in the form of fines and/or the loss of a draft pick or draft picks.
Gee. That'll teach 'em. How much is a SB appearance worth? $1.5M?
How many college players would you forfeit to get to one? 2? 3?

How about stripping them of the win instead. If Bellyfat knows he can game the system and only get fined and/or lose a player or two in the draft, he'll keep doing it.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
I expect this investigation to take until AFTER the Super Bowl and then the Patriots will be found guilty.

They will lose a 1st round pick and pay a MILLION dollar fine as an organization (because... it'll be the largest fine ever, and it's about 10k more than Robert Kraft has in his couch cushions).

Roger Goodell will hold a 40 minute press conference in which he takes 20 minutes of questions in which he basically asserts that he and the NFL offices have conducted a full and thorough investigation, but in reality it amounts to asking the Patriots "so, what happened?" and taking their word for it.

So, while fans will be livid, the complicit sports media will completely cave and remember to STOP TALKING about the Patriots cheating as soon as possible.

The only possible change to this is that the NFL, might, if they suddenly become slightly more PR aware, might assess the fine and penalties quicker so as to allow the media hype for Super Bowl week to focus on "the Matchup! Goliath versus Goliath! Oh my Holy Lord, it's like Pacific Rim on the football field!" /wretch...

Short of a surprise quick finding, I think this will be how it plays out.

I mean, we'll NEVER see Roger Goodell be an actual Commissioner.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I think they would only deflate the balls used by their offense. They get balls and the opponents get balls. What they do during the game with their balls is anyone's guess.
And no one wants to see it.
Brady Gay.jpg

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom

This just seems appropriate under the circumstances.

Last edited:

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
While I don't get why they would do this, who thinks it would only help the Pats? They were playing with the same balls, this did not affect the outcome of a total ass whopping

I am not sure, but maybe the Patriots practiced with the less inflated football for the last week. It could very slightly give them an edge in the beginning of the game I guess. For a QB not used to it maybe it throws his rhythm off or timing or speed, or accuracy.

Either way if it is an attempt to cheat again then they need to be taken to the wood shed.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
The league has already burned the balls, and fines the Patriot's two promotional hats, and a free hot dog.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Can you imagine being Belichek's wife or girlfriend? You KNOW he's cheating on you.