MMQB on Sam Bradford

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://mmqb.si.com/2015/07/02/sam-bradford-philadelphia-eagles-chip-kelly-nfl-the-mmqb-100/

sam-bradford-mmqb100-960.jpg

Matt Rourke/AP

No. 23: Sam Bradford
A one-year fallback option for Chip Kelly, or a fallen star about to realize his potential? If Sam Bradford is ever going to re-establish himself as a franchise quarterback, this season, in this system, is the perfect opportunity
By Andy Benoit

A March 12 tweet from The Onion: “The trade for Sam Bradford proves the Eagles aren’t afraid of shaking up their injury report.”

Bradford, the first overall pick of the 2010 draft, has missed 31 games over the last four years, including 25 over the last two years with two different tears of his left ACL. And so NFL observers gaped when the Eagles acquired him in exchange for, essentially, 26-year-old quarterback Nick Foles and a 2016 second-round pick. With Bradford still rehabbing his knee at the time, the trade, in some ways, equated to Philly paying above blue book price for a car that’s in the shop.

Suspicions quickly arose that Eagles head coach Chip Kelly, who had recently taken full roster control from GM Howie Roseman, was making the first in what would be a series of moves to climb up from No. 20 to No. 2 in the draft to select Marcus Mariota. Stylistically, it goes without saying that the former Oregon QB is perfect for Kelly’s system—a system in which, Kelly, ideally, would feature 40-45 rushing attempts a game.

Though the Eagles have ranked first and ninth in total rushing over the last two seasons, we’ve yet to see the full scope of Kelly’s ground attack. (Trading LeSean McCoy and releasing guard Evan Mathis reiterate just how far Kelly feels the Eagles are from having the type of ground game he actually wants.) Regardless of what Kelly says publicly, quarterback mobility is a significant facet of his scheme. That mobility brings another dimension to the read-option game, which, in Kelly’s scheme, at times plays off not just the usual unblocked defensive end but also off an unblocked defensive tackle.

There is a world of difference there. A defensive end lines up several yards away from the quarterback; a defensive tackle lines up almost within arm’s reach of the QB. A quarterback who can’t consistently run away from unblocked defensive tackles can’t run the full scope of Kelly’s option-based attack. Bradford is quicker and more athletic than the lumbering Foles, but he’s no Mariota.

In early May, Kelly acknowledged that Philly was interested in Tennessee’s No. 2 pick, telling NFL Network: “We examined it. I would say we were not very close, in terms of the price that was being asked. I used the analogy the other day that we drove into a very nice neighborhood and saw an unbelievable house, but when we found out the price of the house we stayed in the car, never even got out of the car.”

And so, sticking with Kelly’s analogy, the Eagles will settle for their fallback house. With his quicker release and tighter throwing motion, Bradford, stylistically, is more fit for Kelly’s passing game than Foles was. And if injuries strike again, the Eagles learned last season they can tread water with Mark Sanchez, who re-signed days before the Bradford trade.

Between now and Labor Day, you’ll probably hear Kelly say about a dozen times that Bradford is the guy the Eagles wanted all along. But if that’s true in its purest sense, the Eagles would sign Bradford to a long-term contract now, while his market value at its nadir. Basically, they are gambling with a wait-and-see approach on Bradford, who is making $12.985 million in this, the final year of his rookie contract. A successful 2015 season could add $10-20 million in guarantees to Bradford’s price tag next year. If he fails, he’ll be a free agent in 2016 and look for work as a backup.

Bradford is lucky to be in this position. Had the Rams been unable to trade him, they may have simply released him, leaving some other team to sign him for a fraction of $12.985 million. And if the Rams had kept Bradford, they would have asked him to take a pay cut and be the blandest kind of game-manager in their old-school ground-and-pound offense.

Instead, Bradford will direct-deposit $1.5 million-plus every two weeks and lead an offense that can make even the most average quarterback look great (see: Foles, circa 2013). Remember, Bradford became the No. 1 pick in 2010 by thriving in an Oklahoma spread system that, just like Kelly’s, asked the quarterback to get the ball out quickly. Getting the ball out quickly stems from either diagnosing the defense before the snap, or from running plays in which the quarterback’s read is defined by the play design (bubble screens, quick slants, etc.).

In Philly, where the fast tempo leaves little time for pre-snap diagnostics, it’s all about defined reads. The system, especially in the aerial department, is the most simplistic in pro football. (How do you think all 11 Eagles are always able to play so fast?) Kelly’s playbook has essentially seven or eight total plays. But there’s an illusion of complexity because those plays are run out of many different formations. Any quarterback, particularly one with Bradford’s quick release, has a chance to prosper just by going through the correct motions.

We’ll learn two things about Bradford in 2015: (1) whether the 27-year-old’s once-promising career can ever get off the ground, and (2) whether Kelly can be convinced—truly convinced—that his system can function satisfactorily without a mobile quarterback. It’s this second item that has the rest of the NFL watching with bated breath. Kelly’s M.O. is the trendiest in football right now. His concepts are being copied more than anyone’s. If Bradford recognizes his full potential here, the copycatting will intensify. Maybe even to the degree of a league-wide revolution.

nighttrain

Legend
i've seen Foles run on tapes, he's far from LUMBERING, fact is i though he ran very well, much better than SB, whose talent is all in his arm.
train

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Maybe going to Philly will work as well for Bradford as it did for Norm Van Brocklin when he went from the Rams to Philly!?!
Could History repeat itself!?!

T-REX

"King of the tyrant lizards"
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Jaworski comes to mind as well. Never got a shot with LA then traded to Philadelphia and put up some decent numbers and played in a Super Bowl.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Jaworski comes to mind as well. Never got a shot with LA then traded to Philadelphia and put up some decent numbers and played in a Super Bowl.
:LOL: I completely forgot about Jaws! He's a better example!!

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
When Sam was healthy, maybe he ran better than Foles...The Sam I see now, is nowhere near the athlete of Nick Foles...I hate to say this, but Philly got played....

Pancake

Hall of Fame
Name
Ernie
Funny how they throw out Foles good year as a fluke and his not so good year is who he really is. And the good year is courtesy of the great Chip Kelly but the not so good year has nothing to do with Kelly.

I think the truth is that Foles is somewhere in between and Kelly is not quite the genius he's made out to be.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
Maybe going to Philly will work as well for Bradford as it did for Norm Van Brocklin when he went from the Rams to Philly!?!
Could History repeat itself!?!
Under NVB, the Eagles were the only team to defeat the Packers in a playoff game during Vince Lombardi's tenure as Green Bay's head coach

I was so pissed by this trade at the time. We beat the Steelers on Monday night under Jaws at QB (at a time when the Steelers were unstoppable).

So now Foles is "even the most average quarterback" huh?
Yup, he's a Ram... part of the NFL's most undeservedly persecuted franchise.

PS. The cheatriots are the NFL"s most deserving persecuted franchise :)

Funny how they throw out Foles good year as a fluke and his not so good year is who he really is. And the good year is courtesy of the great Chip Kelly but the not so good year has nothing to do with Kelly.

I think the truth is that Foles is somewhere in between and Kelly is not quite the genius he's made out to be.
Funny or pathetic?

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Why does every still photo of Bradford make him look like he walked into an electric fence?

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
A quarterback who can’t consistently run away from unblocked defensive tackles can’t run the full scope of Kelly’s option-based attack. Bradford is quicker and more athletic than the lumbering Foles, but he’s no Mariota.
I've watched them both closely now over the past few months (game rewind), and this is absolutely true.
However. I have no idea how Bradford can run or scramble after this 2nd procedure.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Why does every still photo of Bradford make him look like he walked into an electric fence?

Now your getting it. I never saw an NFL QB with that Shocked look of Naivete before. He always looked like he was a 7 year old boy on Christmas.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
Isn't it funny how Bradford is considered a serviceable QB now that he isn't on the Rams by the media?

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
He used to be fast. But that was 2 ACLs and a few years ago....
Well, Frank Gore had a couple of ACL surgeries before he made the pros and he's still kinda fast. McGahee almost had his lower leg severed in college, but not before suffering a knee injury in HS, and he can still run. I think structurally, Bradford's knee is going to be fine. If he can't run or scramble, it will be because he's afraid to. And I don't think that will be the case either. It's going to be interesting to watch him once he's up to speed. I certainly won't lament any decision Snisher made if Bradford plays lights out, though. I understand the decision and probably would have made the same one.

ramsince62

Hall of Fame
Well, Frank Gore had a couple of ACL surgeries before he made the pros and he's still kinda fast. McGahee almost had his lower leg severed in college, but not before suffering a knee injury in HS, and he can still run. I think structurally, Bradford's knee is going to be fine. If he can't run or scramble, it will be because he's afraid to. And I don't think that will be the case either. It's going to be interesting to watch him once he's up to speed. I certainly won't lament any decision Snisher made if Bradford plays lights out, though. I understand the decision and probably would have made the same one.

Good point X, but I'm not sure comparing a running back to a QB standing back there with his leg hanging out (over simplification) is an apt example or comparison....maybe Gurely v Gore would suffice although Gurley is returning from (only) one ACL.

There was a post the other day discussing the healing periods regarding multiple ACL's, I don't know if you read it, but it seemed to indicate that the time for recovery and chances of re-injury increases with each occurrence. As I recall, the article also suggested (as I have long believed) that connective tissues need more time to strengthen beyond what medically is described as healed. This seems to fit the majority of traumatic injuries where skill position players don't usually return to previous form (with exceptions) for a couple of years.

In Bradford's case, if he were still behind the Ram OL at this moment, I wouldn't give him a nickles chance of making it through the year. I guess we'll see whether or not Philly's scheme can keep him on the field.

ramsince62

Hall of Fame
Can Sam even walk (without a limp) at the moment?

Close your eyes for a moment and imagine that Bradford is preparing for his 5th season as a Ram...

OK, open your eyes..........now doesn't that make your day look brighter? (y)