MMQB on Sam Bradford

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Good point X, but I'm not sure comparing a running back to a QB standing back there with his leg hanging out (over simplification) is an apt example or comparison....maybe Gurely v Gore would suffice although Gurley is returning from (only) one ACL.
True, but the question was about his mobility.
Not his vulnerability.

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
Close your eyes for a moment and imagine that Bradford is preparing for his 5th season as a Ram...

OK, open your eyes..........now doesn't that make your day look brighter? (y)

Not really. If he's healthy there's no one really outside of Rodgers, Wilson, Roethlisberger and Peyton I'd rather have under center. The problem is you don't know that he's gonna be able to do it. Like X says - I'd have made the same decision the Rams FO made because it was just too big a risk but even so....

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
Not really. If he's healthy there's no one really outside of Rodgers, Wilson, Roethlisberger and Peyton I'd rather have under center. The problem is you don't know that he's gonna be able to do it. Like X says - I'd have made the same decision the Rams FO made because it was just too big a risk but even so....
naw, in hindsight, I grew tired of the blasé leadership style.

ramsince62

Hall of Fame

Unfortunately the history of Bradford since his sophomore year in college can be summed up in the often expressed terms; "if", "potential", "might"....not exactly descriptions of success.

Have him under center? I'm not even sure he remembers where that is.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Unfortunately the history of Bradford since his sophomore year in college can be summed up in the often expressed terms; "if", "potential", "might"....not exactly descriptions of success.

Have him under center? I'm not even sure he remembers where that is.

That's Ok. He'll probably be in shotgun for the foreseeable future.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...nfused-about-eagles-trading-for-sam-bradford/

Unnamed exec “still confused about” Eagles trading for Sam Bradford
Posted by Darin Gantt on July 6, 2015

cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznptm1ywvimmqwyzaxzta0y2y5ytblyzu1mtfmzwe4yjhj.jpeg
AP

When training camps open in a little under a month, one of the most-watched storylines will be the progress of Eagles quarterback Sam Bradford, coming off a pair of torn ACLs.

But some are wondering whether too much has been made of his arrival by trade already.

Via Mark Eckel of NJ.com, “one of the league’s top executives in personnel” was skeptical of the impact Bradford will actually have.

“I understand they gave up on Foles,” he said. “But I don’t know why they’re building up Bradford so much. I’m still confused about that whole deal. You can only talk about him being the first pick of the draft for so long. What has he done since then?

“If Bradford had gone anywhere else you wouldn’t even be talking about him. He’s been hurt the past two years and even when he was healthy, he was just average. But he’s with Chip Kelly, so there’s hope I guess. Chip Kelly is the one guy who can make Bradford a success.”

That might be because of Kelly’s magic milkshakes, which may have helped make his team the healthiest in the league over the last two years. But Bradford has played in just 49 of 80 possible games in his five seasons, so unless there’s something in the smoothies to keep him ACLs intact, it will be hard for Kelly to transform him.

Bradford has been a good quarterback at times, but he was stuck on some bad teams as well. If Kelly can polish him up, his reputation will only grow.
--------
Most of the league’s fans are confused by this move.

Honestly, to give up a 4th, a 2nd and Foles for Bradford? Why? Foles seemed to me to be the more viable option, and for way less money. Plus you get to keep the draft picks and have a QB who’s played in – and done pretty well in – that system already.

Most of their moves don’t make sense as far as health goes. A large majority of their newly acquired players have injury history… and with the speed that they play, that could wind up being a toxic combination come game day.
---------
I am confused as well. Everyone say’s what a great talent he is and about him being a 1st overall pick. That’s great if you are drafting him but 4 years and 2 ACL tears later you are still talking about his draft hype?

Combine that with the fact that no matter how long Bradford’s ACL recovery takes it will be “right on schedule”. It is possible that they traded their starting QB plus a 2nd for the right to pay Bradford $12 mill for one year to watch Sanchez play.

He will also want a top tier contract after this season regardless of what happens, after all he was a 1st overall pick.

Most of the problems last year stem from the revolving door of offensive linemen during the first 10 games and the pass defense but Kelly seemed to think that Foles was the problem.
--------
Replace “Unnamed exec” with “Everyone” and that’s a more accurate title.

I still don’t agree with giving up on Foles, but I can at least understand it. If they have given Foles for Bradford and a 2nd, that would have been a reasonable trade.
------
I may not be the smarterist man (just kidding) on the planet, but I do know one thing. This season for the Eagles is gonna end 1 of 2 ways: surprisingly good or complete and total dumpster fire burning diesel fuel. I’m leaning towards the latter.