Mini Ice Age may be around the corner.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamzFanz

Damnit
http://yalibnan.com/2015/07/11/scientists-warn-the-sun-will-go-to-sleep-in-2030/

Scientists warn the sun will ‘go to sleep’ in 2030

July 11, 2015 by yalibnan 11 Comments

The Earth could be headed for a ‘mini ice age’ researchers have warned.

A new study claims to have cracked predicting solar cycles – and says that between 2020 and 2030 solar cycles will cancel each other out.

This, they say, will lead to a phenomenon known as the ‘Maunder minimum’ – which has previously been known as a mini ice age when it hit between 1646 and 1715, even causing London’s River Thames to freeze over.

2A6B5DB000000578-3156594-image-a-2_1436549774134.jpg

A silent sun: In 2011 this image was captured showing an almost clear sun – which experts say could happen for almost a decade from 2030.
THE SOLAR CYCLE
Conventional wisdom holds that solar activity swings back and forth like a simple pendulum.

At one end of the cycle, there is a quiet time with few sunspots and flares.

At the other end, solar max brings high sunspot numbers and frequent solar storms.

It’s a regular rhythm that repeats every 11 years.

Reality is more complicated.

Astronomers have been counting sunspots for centuries, and they have seen that the solar cycle is not perfectly regular.

The new model of the Sun’s solar cycle is producing unprecedentedly accurate predictions of irregularities within the Sun’s 11-year heartbeat.

It draws on dynamo effects in two layers of the Sun, one close to the surface and one deep within its convection zone.

Predictions from the model suggest that solar activity will fall by 60 per cent during the 2030s to conditions last seen during the ‘mini ice age’ that began in 1645, according to the results presented by Prof Valentina Zharkova at the National Astronomy Meeting in Llandudno.

The model predicts that the pair of waves become increasingly offset during Cycle 25, which peaks in 2022.

During Cycle 26, which covers the decade from 2030-2040, the two waves will become exactly out of synch and this will cause a significant reduction in solar activity.

‘In cycle 26, the two waves exactly mirror each other – peaking at the same time but in opposite hemispheres of the Sun,’ said Zharkova.

‘Their interaction will be disruptive, or they will nearly cancel each other.

‘We predict that this will lead to the properties of a ‘Maunder minimum”

‘Effectively, when the waves are approximately in phase, they can show strong interaction, or resonance, and we have strong solar activity.

‘When they are out of phase, we have solar minimums.

‘When there is full phase separation, we have the conditions last seen during the Maunder minimum, 370 years ago.’

Solar cycle: The sun’s 11-year heartbeat explained

video-undefined-2A6BFB6900000578-640_636x358.jpg

THE MAUNDER MINIMUM
The Maunder Minimum (also known as the prolonged sunspot minimum) is the name used for the period starting in about 1645 and continuing to about 1715 when sunspots became exceedingly rare, as noted by solar observers of the time.
It caused London’s River Thames to freeze over, and ‘frost fairs’ became popular.

This period of solar inactivity also corresponds to a climatic period called the ‘Little Ice Age’ when rivers that are normally ice-free froze and snow fields remained year-round at lower altitudes.
There is evidence that the Sun has had similar periods of inactivity in the more distant past, Nasa says.

The connection between solar activity and terrestrial climate is an area of on-going research.

Some scientists hypothesize that the dense wood used in Stradivarius instruments was caused by slow tree growth during the cooler period.

Instrument maker Antonio Stradivari was born a year before the start of the Maunder Minimum.

2A6B511000000578-3156594-image-a-1_1436549504450.jpg

Maunder Minimum (also known as the prolonged sunspot minimum) is the name used for the period starting in about 1645 and continuing to about 1715 when sunspots became exceedingly rare, as noted by solar observers of the time

It is 172 years since a scientist first spotted that the Sun’s activity varies over a cycle lasting around 10 to 12 years.

But every cycle is a little different and none of the models of causes to date have fully explained fluctuations.

Many solar physicists have put the cause of the solar cycle down to a dynamo caused by convecting fluid deep within the Sun.
Now, Zharkova and her colleagues have found that adding a second dynamo, close to the surface, completes the picture with surprising accuracy.

‘We found magnetic wave components appearing in pairs, originating in two different layers in the Sun’s interior,’ she said.

‘They both have a frequency of approximately 11 years, although this frequency is slightly different, and they are offset in time.

‘Over the cycle, the waves fluctuate between the northern and southern hemispheres of the Sun. Combining both waves together and comparing to real data for the current solar cycle, we found that our predictions showed an accuracy of 97%,’ said Zharkova.

2A6B665200000578-3156594-image-a-9_1436550005564.jpg

Zharkova and her colleagues derived their model using a technique called ‘principal component analysis’ of the magnetic field observations from the Wilcox Solar Observatory in California.

They examined three solar cycles-worth of magnetic field activity, covering the period from 1976-2008.

In addition, they compared their predictions to average sunspot numbers, another strong marker of solar activity.

All the predictions and observations were closely matched.

Daily Mail

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Good. It's been too damn hot lately.
Love me some frigid temps.

RamzFanz

Damnit
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
BOLD PREDICTION:

No one will be talking about global warming in 20 years. If this model is accurate, the effects of global cooling will be far more devastating. The last mini ice age was 69 years long and it's been warming ever since.

That's not a commentary on global warming, just that society has a short attention span and a need for immediate gratification.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I predict that some good stuff will happen, followed by some bad stuff. Interspersed with the good then bad will be both bad and good and even some mediocre stuff. Oh - and there will be seismic activity somewhere near Hollister, CA this month.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
I predict that some good stuff will happen, followed by some bad stuff. Interspersed with the good then bad will be both bad and good and even some mediocre stuff. Oh - and there will be seismic activity somewhere near Hollister, CA this month.
:ROFLMAO:
I'm going to rub this in your face, when none of this happens.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Maunder Minimum is about sunspots, and it lasted about 30 years, while the little ice age lasted about 300 years. There's not a lot of understanding about how sunspots changes our temperature, but there isn't a lot of evidence that suggests that's the primary reason.

The little ice age was really just a period with colder winters, and during the Maunder Minimum they were a bit colder a few years and actually warmer others.

Low sunspots might lead to slightly colder winters, but it most likely won't mean that there's gonna be snow and sub zero temperatures in LA or anything like that. In fact if temperatures continue rise, it'll probably mean those winters are still hotter than now even if its colder than "normal" then.

Sorry to burst anyone's bubble.

Last edited:

fearsomefour

Legend
I am so sick of this nonsense.
Fear mongering disguised as science.
Coming ice age, I remember them talking about that when I was a kid....then global warming....then climate change....now back to the ice age.
One thing for sure now that the media machine has determine this is the agenda (going back aways now) they won't rest until we have extra taxes and fees draining our pay away.
Of course, when the "experts" are forced to admit they were wrong about this stuff the taxes won't go away.
Sometimes I look to the heavens and pray that whatever is out there would just sweep all away into nothingness....today is one of those days.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Coming ice age, I remember them talking about that when I was a kid....then global warming....then climate change....now back to the ice age.
One thing for sure now that the media machine has determine this is the agenda (going back aways now) they won't rest until we have extra taxes and fees draining our pay away.
Of course, when the "experts" are forced to admit they were wrong about this stuff the taxes won't go away.
Sometimes I look to the heavens and pray that whatever is out there would just sweep all away into nothingness....today is one of those days.

I dunno man, my lab is across from the climate scientists lab and from what I understand the evidence is pretty real, and pretty damming. I've seen quite a bit of their stuff, and while I don't understand to the depth they do, it's certainly there.

It's stupidily become a political topic, but like they always say, anyone can look up the studies themselves, they're online.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
1974. Scientists actually contemplated melting the polar ice caps with soot.

As they review the bizarre and unpredictable weather pattern of the past several years, a growing number of scientists are beginning to suspect that many seemingly contradictory meteorological fluctuations are actually part of a global climatic upheaval. However widely the weather varies from place to place and time to time, when meteorologists take an average of temperatures around the globe they find that the atmosphere has been growing gradually cooler for the past three decades. The trend shows no indication of reversing. Climatological Cassandras are becoming increasingly apprehensive, for the weather aberrations they are studying may be the harbinger of another ice age.

Telltale signs are everywhere …

Whatever the cause of the cooling trend, its effects could be extremely serious, if not catastrophic. Scientists figure that only a 1% decrease in the amount of sunlight hitting the earth’s surface could tip the climatic balance, and cool the planet enough to send it sliding down the road to another ice age within only a few hundred years.

time-magazine-april-1977.jpg

fearsomefour

Legend

As they review the bizarre and unpredictable weather pattern of the past several years, a growing number of scientists are beginning to suspect that many seemingly contradictory meteorological fluctuations are actually part of a global climatic upheaval. However widely the weather varies from place to place and time to time, when meteorologists take an average of temperatures around the globe they find that the atmosphere has been growing gradually cooler for the past three decades. The trend shows no indication of reversing. Climatological Cassandras are becoming increasingly apprehensive, for the weather aberrations they are studying may be the harbinger of another ice age.

Whatever the cause of the cooling trend, its effects could be extremely serious, if not catastrophic. Scientists figure that only a 1% decrease in the amount of sunlight hitting the earth’s surface could tip the climatic balance, and cool the planet enough to send it sliding down the road to another ice age within only a few hundred years.

LOL.
Perfect.
Fools.

fearsomefour

Legend
I dunno man, my lab is across from the climate scientists lab and from what I understand the evidence is pretty real, and pretty damming. I've seen quite a bit of their stuff, and while I don't understand to the depth they do, it's certainly there.

It's stupidily become a political topic, but like they always say, anyone can look up the studies themselves, they're online.
The climate and earth changes. That certainly is true. You can go to places in desert and dig up fossils of ocean fish.
What is in question mans role. This is the red herring. A person can find studies on both sides of the fence. For decades this has been a cottage industry for scientists getting grants. Nothing has really changed. 1970s----today nothing but doom and gloom and we've got 10 years or else the end is upon us. It is just nonsense.
Just like discussing PCism in the other thread at this point the discussion won't even be allowed to happen. It's the new religion.

bluecoconuts

Legend
I disagree that they're coming up with these studies to get grants, the guys I see are legitimately concerned and pretty convinced. At any rate I know that I'm not going to change your mind on this, and I really don't have the desire to try anyway. Besides, I focus on what's happening off our planet, so I'm not nearly versed enough to get into any technical arguments on the matter, other than trying to remember what they've shown me and told me about their work.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
I'm going to be dead before the worst if it hits so thankfully there's that.

But yeah, this could happen since it's happened before. So if I was to bet cash money on one of these doomsday eco disaster scenarios, this would be the one.
But this has been known for years that this could happen and yet it hasn't . No one really has a clue to what the Sun does so called experts or not. We just had a low maximum when a high one was predicted. This stuff has been talked about for 40 years and still waiting.

Lets say it does happen. It's not turning down the thermostat on the A/C, it's gradual over a few years. No glaciers in Florida or that crap. It's just shorter, cooler summers and longer winters. Changed rainfall patterns and jet stream.
Based on the records from the last minimum on temperatures and sun intensity It's kinda easy to predict where crops can be grown. And being that a large portion of latitudes that supplies 75% the worlds grain and sustenance crops fall in to the too cool and short of a growing season band it might be kinda of a big thing. Though with more hybridization of crops and terraforming the southern soil it can be offset to a degree. Still going to lose 30+% of the worlds population at a min. 20% of the USA's from starvation.

So it's not really a question of putting on a extra layer of clothing to go to a October Rams game, cursing them not popping for the retractable roof. There won't be any football. People and all the countries energy is going to try to eat.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les

Yup I've brought that up many a time in global warming discussions. For a couple of years back then I was being taught that an ice age was going to happen in my lifetime.

Since I'm still alive maybe those guys can still be right :)

beej

Rookie
and this is from the Huffington Post not fox news.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/van-w...ntis_b_7787664.html?ncid=txtlnkusaolp00000592

Professor Vlentina Zharkova of Northumbira University presented the frigid findings at the National Astronomy Meeting in Llandudno, Wales. Modern technology has made us able to predict solar cycles with much greater accuracy, and Zharkova’s model predicts that solar activity will drop by more than half between 2030 and 2040.

Solar activity was thought to be caused by a turbine-system of moving fluid within the sun. In search of a more accurate system of prediction, Professor Zharkova and her team discovered fluctuating magnetic waves in two layers of the sun. By studying the data of the dual waves, she says, predictions are far more precise.

“Combining both waves together and comparing to real data for the current solar cycle, we found that our predictions showed an accuracy of 97 percent,” said Zharkova, whose findings were published by the Royal Astronomic Society.

Using this method, she and her team discovered that there will be far less solar activity in sun cycles 25 and 26, leading to a prolonged period of solar dormancy

“In cycle 26, the two waves exactly mirror each other -- peaking at the same time but in opposite hemispheres of the Sun. Their interaction will be disruptive, or they will nearly cancel each other. We predict that this will lead to the properties of a ‘Maunder minimum’,” said Zharkova.

The Maunder Minimum is the title given to periods of time when sunspots are rare. It last occurred between 1645 and 1715, when roughly 50 sunspots were recorded, as opposed to the standard 40,000. That time was marked by brutal, river-freezing temperatures in Europe and North America.