Mikell offers Panthers inside look at his former team

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

News Bot

01001000 01101001
Name
News Bot
[wrapimg=right]http://media.thestate.com/smedia/2013/10/17/20/14/260-13BDn7.AuSt.138.jpeg[/wrapimg]By Joseph Person —
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.thestate.com/2013/10/17/3044103/quintin-mikell-offers-panthers.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.thestate.com/2013/10/17/3044 ... thers.html</a>

There’s been some insider trading going on this week at Bank of America Stadium, where Carolina Panthers strong safety Quintin Mikell has been as popular as the person in payroll who cuts the checks.

Teammates have been speaking to Mikell at practice and quizzing him during film sessions about the St. Louis Rams, the Panthers’ opponent Sunday and Mikell’s former team.

“I know a lot of people have talked to Quintin, a veteran guy who can give you a lot more insight than the average guy,” Panthers coach Ron Rivera said. “I feel pretty confident that we’re getting some good intel.”

Mikell insists the intelligence doesn’t rise to the level of that provided by former Giants Chase Blackburn and Domenik Hixon in the days preceding the Panthers’ 38-0 shutout of New York in Week 3. Defensive players were calling out some of the Giants’ plays before the snap, thanks to what they gleaned from Hixon and Blackburn.

“I know a little bit,” said Mikell, an 11-year veteran who played the past two seasons in St. Louis.

“I’m a little more comfortable just from going against those guys in practice all the time. But in terms of knowing their schemes and their calls, I wasn’t in their (offensive) meetings. So I don’t know a whole lot,” Mikell added. “And on defense they have a new scheme. I’m a little bit of a help, but it’s more of comfortability with knowing those guys.”

Mikell knows – and respects – Rams quarterback Sam Bradford, the No. 1 overall pick in 2010 who led St. Louis to a 20-10 victory against Carolina as a rookie.

“He’s actually one of the reasons I signed there over other teams, because I always believed he’s a very good quarterback,” Mikell said. “He’s got a strong arm, accurate, good size. He’s more athletic than people give him credit for. He’s a guy when he gets hot, he can hurt you. And he’s got some weapons now.

“That being said, we have a really good defense and we’ve got guys who can match up with anybody.”

Panthers free safety Mike Mitchell said Mikell gave him a few tips about Bradford’s tendencies when they watched tape of the Rams’ offense.

“He’s just really helped me a lot with the quarterback progressions, what to look at. Does he pass the ball when he reaches his drop? Just mannerisms that a quarterback will do that will give you a tip on where he’s throwing,” Mitchell said. “Because if you can go before he throws it, you’ve got a heck of a break on the ball. That’s a chance to make a play.”

Mikell returned to the starting lineup last week at Minnesota after missing two games with an ankle injury. Mikell’s ankle was not completely healed, but he stepped in for rookie safety Robert Lester, who was out with a hamstring issue.

Mikell finished with five stops against the Vikings. But he also had a couple of miscues, including a missed tackle on the Vikings’ lone touchdown – Kyle Rudolph’s 23-yard reception in the final minute.

“You look at the tape, that’s not really indicative of the way I play ball,” Mikell said. “Hopefully, this week I don’t have any more setbacks and I can get out there and play.”

With Mikell and Lester both back at practice, Rivera said the two would share reps against the Rams. Lester, who was undrafted out of Alabama, has been a pleasant surprise, with an interception in each of his first two starts.

Lester and Mikell said they’re fine with the platoon.

“It’s not about how many reps you get. It’s about what you do when you get those reps,” Lester said. “If I was to play one play in the game, I’m going to want it to be a pick-six for a touchdown.”

“I’m here to help in any way possible. I told Robert that. I’m not here to take his spot or take anyone’s spot,” Mikell said. “If I’m in the game, I’m going to give it my best and play as hard as I can. I told him, ‘If you’re in there, you ball out. If I’m in there, I’m going to ball out.’ And let the coaches make the decision.

“I played, started and did all that stuff. I’m just here to help.”

Before he even takes the field Sunday, Mikell will have helped out a lot already.

Read more here: <a class="postlink" href="http://www.thestate.com/2013/10/17/3044103/quintin-mikell-offers-panthers.html#storylink=cpy" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.thestate.com/2013/10/17/3044 ... rylink=cpy</a>

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
News Bot said:
[wrapimg=right]http://media.thestate.com/smedia/2013/10/17/20/14/260-13BDn7.AuSt.138.jpeg[/wrapimg]By Joseph Person —
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.thestate.com/2013/10/17/3044103/quintin-mikell-offers-panthers.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.thestate.com/2013/10/17/3044 ... thers.html</a>

There’s been some insider trading going on this week at Bank of America Stadium, where Carolina Panthers strong safety Quintin Mikell has been as popular as the person in payroll who cuts the checks.

Teammates have been speaking to Mikell at practice and quizzing him during film sessions about the St. Louis Rams, the Panthers’ opponent Sunday and Mikell’s former team.

“I know a lot of people have talked to Quintin, a veteran guy who can give you a lot more insight than the average guy,” Panthers coach Ron Rivera said. “I feel pretty confident that we’re getting some good intel.”

Mikell insists the intelligence doesn’t rise to the level of that provided by former Giants Chase Blackburn and Domenik Hixon in the days preceding the Panthers’ 38-0 shutout of New York in Week 3. Defensive players were calling out some of the Giants’ plays before the snap, thanks to what they gleaned from Hixon and Blackburn.

“I know a little bit,” said Mikell, an 11-year veteran who played the past two seasons in St. Louis.

“I’m a little more comfortable just from going against those guys in practice all the time. But in terms of knowing their schemes and their calls, I wasn’t in their (offensive) meetings. So I don’t know a whole lot,” Mikell added. “And on defense they have a new scheme. I’m a little bit of a help, but it’s more of comfortability with knowing those guys.”

Mikell knows – and respects – Rams quarterback Sam Bradford, the No. 1 overall pick in 2010 who led St. Louis to a 20-10 victory against Carolina as a rookie.

“He’s actually one of the reasons I signed there over other teams, because I always believed he’s a very good quarterback,” Mikell said. “He’s got a strong arm, accurate, good size. He’s more athletic than people give him credit for. He’s a guy when he gets hot, he can hurt you. And he’s got some weapons now.

“That being said, we have a really good defense and we’ve got guys who can match up with anybody.”

Panthers free safety Mike Mitchell said Mikell gave him a few tips about Bradford’s tendencies when they watched tape of the Rams’ offense.

“He’s just really helped me a lot with the quarterback progressions, what to look at. Does he pass the ball when he reaches his drop? Just mannerisms that a quarterback will do that will give you a tip on where he’s throwing,” Mitchell said. “Because if you can go before he throws it, you’ve got a heck of a break on the ball. That’s a chance to make a play.”

Mikell returned to the starting lineup last week at Minnesota after missing two games with an ankle injury. Mikell’s ankle was not completely healed, but he stepped in for rookie safety Robert Lester, who was out with a hamstring issue.

Mikell finished with five stops against the Vikings. But he also had a couple of miscues, including a missed tackle on the Vikings’ lone touchdown – Kyle Rudolph’s 23-yard reception in the final minute.

“You look at the tape, that’s not really indicative of the way I play ball,” Mikell said. “Hopefully, this week I don’t have any more setbacks and I can get out there and play.”

With Mikell and Lester both back at practice, Rivera said the two would share reps against the Rams. Lester, who was undrafted out of Alabama, has been a pleasant surprise, with an interception in each of his first two starts.

Lester and Mikell said they’re fine with the platoon.

“It’s not about how many reps you get. It’s about what you do when you get those reps,” Lester said. “If I was to play one play in the game, I’m going to want it to be a pick-six for a touchdown.”

“I’m here to help in any way possible. I told Robert that. I’m not here to take his spot or take anyone’s spot,” Mikell said. “If I’m in the game, I’m going to give it my best and play as hard as I can. I told him, ‘If you’re in there, you ball out. If I’m in there, I’m going to ball out.’ And let the coaches make the decision.

“I played, started and did all that stuff. I’m just here to help.”

Before he even takes the field Sunday, Mikell will have helped out a lot already.

Read more here: <a class="postlink" href="http://www.thestate.com/2013/10/17/3044103/quintin-mikell-offers-panthers.html#storylink=cpy" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.thestate.com/2013/10/17/3044 ... rylink=cpy</a>

Our D is struggling with several issues, one of them being a new or semi new scheme, just as I suspected after listening to one of Walton's first interviews.

F. Mulder

Starter
I thought he was effective last season when he played close to the LOS. He also did a good job on blitzes. He really struggled in deeper pass coverage though. Even before the draft I didn't think he'd be back.

I DO think the Safety position needs a lot of attention after this year. I thought McDonald was starting to trend the right direction but Stewart is just not the answer.

EastRam

Pro Bowler
Our D is struggling with several issues, one of them being a new or semi new scheme, just as I suspected after listening to one of Walton's first interviews.

Yup our "new scheme" has sucked from the start.

The funny thing is there is not alot of talk on this subject.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
EastRam said:

Oh yes there has been. So much so, that there's not a lot left to say...

Mister Sin

Your friendly neighborhood fat guy!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
What in the hell kind if insight does he give? New defensive coach, new scheme, offense is completely different from last year. I was hopin we would resign him tho.

iced

EastRam said:

fortunately, same thing for Carolina.

Mike Sherman has always been garbage as a coordinator though...

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
El Juggernauto said:
What in the hell kind if insight does he give? New defensive coach, new scheme, offense is completely different from last year. I was hopin we would resign him tho.
He can give insight into Bradford's tendencies. He faced him all the time in practice.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
X said:
El Juggernauto said:
He can give insight into Bradford's tendencies. He faced him all the time in practice.

That was my thinking too.

And... what "Schotty likes to do"... and "what he does when"... etc.

This is a good week for Schotty to throw a curveball.

had

Rookie
I hate predictions. But I like to make them in cases like this, where this guy, who played with the Rams, thinks he knows something. I predict that this week Austin breaks out, and is the big story.

I will now retire to my couch and watch Paranormal Activity 12.

EastRam

Pro Bowler
X said:
EastRam said:

Oh yes there has been. So much so, that there's not a lot left to say...

I must have been asleep at the keyboard. All I've read is Walton sucks and needs to get more aggressive. Nothing about what was actually changed other then some minor terminology.

iced

The "Walton sucks" has died down because he stopped playing so much zone and more man to man

iced

EastRam said:
iced said:
The "Walton sucks" has died down because he stopped playing so much zone and more man to man

Walton still sucks.

i'm just happy this coaching staff can adapt to it's players

haven't seen that here in a long, long time

EastRam

Pro Bowler
iced said:
EastRam said:
iced said:

Walton still sucks.

Yup they can. Just looks like Walton walked in and tried to put his mark on D and Fish had to change it back some. Still wish we could hear what Walton actually did. Maybe he just sucks at play calling

iced

EastRam said:
iced said:
EastRam said:
iced said:

Walton still sucks.

Yup they can. Just looks like Walton walked in and tried to put his mark on D and Fish had to change it back some. Still wish we could hear what Walton actually did. Maybe he just sucks at play calling

i think it was all the zone concepts.. didn't detroit run a lot of zone? and his db's were notoriously terrible in coverage..but then again they don't have any talent at DB there either

EastRam

Pro Bowler
iced said:
EastRam said:
iced said:
EastRam said:
iced said:

Walton still sucks.

i think it was all the zone concepts.. didn't detroit run a lot of zone? and his db's were notoriously terrible in coverage..but then again they don't have any talent at DB there either

See that falls on Fish. Kinda shook me that Fish would bring in a hire and let him fix something that wasn't broke.