Mike Martz

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamzFanz

Damnit
Who would love to see him as an OC for the Rams this season?

I would.

That man would know how to put this together.

As a head coach, he ran it into the ground, but as an OC?

Barrison

Hall of Fame
Name
Barry

I would.

Bet ya he would have a few plays to get Tavon in space.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame

I would.

I don't think Bradford could do it. He's a West Coast QB. Not an Air Coryell guy.

jap

Legend
I don't think Bradford could do it. He's a West Coast QB. Not an Air Coryell guy.

That would be changed. Mad Mike would employ the Vulcan Mind Touch to convert Sam the Ram (although he would need a stool to reach Sam's forehead). :D

Can you imagine Sam playing behind our O line in a Martz offence

rip.jpg

jap

Legend
Can you imagine Sam playing behind our O line in a Martz offense

That would only be a problem if Mad Mike was the HC. The Fisher King believes more in strong OL's. Special K did fine in 1999 behind the Horns OL while Dickie V was HC. It was only after Mad Mike took over as HC that other important units like OL started get less attention.

That would only be a problem if Mad Mike was the HC. The Fisher King believes more in strong OL's. Special K did fine in 1999 behind the Horns OL while Dickie V was HC. It was only after Mad Mike took over as HC that other important units like OL started get less attention.

How do you explain the 2006 Lions (29th in sack %)
2007 Detroit Lions (28th)
2008 San Francisco 49ers (32nd)
2010 Chicago Bears (32nd)
2011 Chicago Bears (31st)?

jap

Legend

The issue is recognizing Mad Mike's tendencies and overruling them. As OC, Mike is over the OL too. However, Dickie V was a strong HC who insisted on having his hands all over the team where he felt it was needed. In fact Dickie V was at first so obsessive about having his hands everywhere he burned himself out in his first stint as HC in Philly. I suspect the HC's of the teams you listed above allowed Mike to run the entire offense to their detriment.

The issue is recognizing Mad Mike's tendencies and overruling them. As OC, Mike is over the OL too. However, Dickie V was a strong HC who insisted on having his hands all over the team where he felt it was needed. In fact Dickie V was at first so obsessive about having his hands everywhere he burned himself out in his first stint as HC in Philly. I suspect the HC's of the teams you listed above allowed Mike to run the entire offense to their detriment.

So what's the point of hiring Martz if you aren't going to let Martz run his O?

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Pretty simple ,he was called in to save the job of a coach who hadn't "gotten it done" he took what he was given there and here. As far as not caring about o-line, Martz wasn't the incompetent GM who let Fred Miller walk,nor the incompetent Dr. who said Kyle Turley's back was OK, and every scout under heaven thought Alex Barron was the real deal.
AND OBTW the he didn't care about defense is just SOOOO MUCH BS ,he gave Lovey every first rounder he wanted ,Arch,Pickett,Thomas,Kenedy,Lewis ,THINK what he could have done with the GSOT with those picks for O.
Simply put when they got rid of Martz it was a case of finding THE MOST competent man in the org. and fire his ass.
If Shaw and Ziggy had been as good at their jobs as Martz was at his,no Linny ,no Spags,Kroenke wouldn't have been anxious to buy at the price the franchise would have commanded.

jap

Legend
So what's the point of hiring Martz if you aren't going to let Martz run his O?

Just because a guy is an OC doesn't mean he is strong in all aspects of being an OC. Mike is great with QB's and receivers. He works well with RB's, especially those who can catch the ball. However, he tends to overlook other aspects of his domain.

Mike was given the head coaching position of the Rams too soon. After the 1999 Super Bowl win, the FO, fearing other teams would offer Mad Mike huge dollars to lure him away from St. Louis, pressured Dickie V into early retirement so they could promote Mike to HC and thereby retain his services. That's not the way it was suppose to be! Mike was supposed to learn how to manage all aspects of a team from the obsessive Dickie V over a three year period before Dick bowed out. The Super Bowl win changed everything as the FO got too paranoid and panicked about losing Mike.

This weakness of Mike is not unique. Coaches simply have their strengths and weaknesses. Savvy superiors will cover the weaknesses of their coaches while working with them. A smart, strong GM would have curbed Mike's tendency to acquire "gadget" players in favor of building a more balanced team, with all units served well. Nothing wrong with allowing a coach to play to his strengths as long as one is aware of and will cover his weaknesses too.

Alan

Legend
I'm not that fond of Schotty but I'll pass on Martz. I wonder if we could hire him as a consultant to draw up a few plays for Austin?

Alan

Legend
Thordaddy with this eye opener:
Simply put when they got rid of Martz it was a case of finding THE MOST competent man in the org. and fire his ass.
Pretty low bar there Thordaddy. :LOL:

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
Pretty simple ,he was called in to save the job of a coach who hadn't "gotten it done" he took what he was given there and here. As far as not caring about o-line, Martz wasn't the incompetent GM who let Fred Miller walk,nor the incompetent Dr. who said Kyle Turley's back was OK, and every scout under heaven thought Alex Barron was the real deal.
AND OBTW the he didn't care about defense is just SOOOO MUCH BS ,he gave Lovey every first rounder he wanted ,Arch,Pickett,Thomas,Kenedy,Lewis ,THINK what he could have done with the GSOT with those picks for O.
If Shaw and Ziggy had been as good at their jobs as Martz was at his,no Linny ,no Spags,Kroenke wouldn't have been anxious to buy at the price the franchise would have commanded.
That's your best post ever, Thor.

Just because a guy is an OC doesn't mean he is strong in all aspects of being an OC. Mike is great with QB's and receivers. He works well with RB's, especially those who can catch the ball. However, he tends to overlook other aspects of his domain.

Mike was given the head coaching position of the Rams too soon. After the 1999 Super Bowl win, the FO, fearing other teams would offer Mad Mike huge dollars to lure him away from St. Louis, pressured Dickie V into early retirement so they could promote Mike to HC and thereby retain his services. That's not the way it was suppose to be! Mike was supposed to learn how to manage all aspects of a team from the obsessive Dickie V over a three year period before Dick bowed out. The Super Bowl win changed everything as the FO got too paranoid and panicked about losing Mike.

This weakness of Mike is not unique. Coaches simply have their strengths and weaknesses. Savvy superiors will cover the weaknesses of their coaches while working with them. A smart, strong GM would have curbed Mike's tendency to acquire "gadget" players in favor of building a more balanced team, with all units served well. Nothing wrong with allowing a coach to play to his strengths as long as one is aware of and will cover his weaknesses too.

Sounds like a QB coach to me, being as no one wants him as OC I wonder if he'd take that role?

jap

Legend
Sounds like a QB coach to me, being as no one wants him as OC I wonder if he'd take that role?

Mike was originally a receivers coach with the Rams before he became a QB coach with the 'Skins. He returned to the Rams as an OC and was promoted to HC soon after the 1999 Super Bowl win.