Mike Martz on the GSOT (Fastlane)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
[101]https://soundcloud.com/101sports/mike-martz-07-18-2013[/101]

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
rhinobean wrote:
Good to hear Martz giving Kurt his due!
I don't think I've welcomed you to the board yet so here goes.
Welcome to the ROD rhinobean! :zomg: :ja: :dancin: :wewt: :clap: :cheers:

rhinobean

Hall of Fame
Name
Bob
Thanks, Albe! Anyone putting our players on their fantasy teams? Would appreciate their insights!

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
When he said "I think I would have liked to finish up there with Kurt" referring to staying in STL and keeping Warner as the QB I wanted to punch the monitor.

I'll never forgive him for the single dumbest move in the franchises history. I don't care how many ways he says he was wrong, I cannot get past the monumentally stupid, massive ego driven thing he did that broke this franchise and started the downward spiral and the circle of suck.

He blew it, and by "it" I mean perhaps the most special set of circumstances a guy could imagine. There are reasons why this guy got fired so many times in such a short period of time. I won't revise history like some who are willing to do that for the sake of nostalgia. Martz and his ego ruined the team when it was primed to be the type of dynasty that we see in one of two other cities and eras. Like the run the 49ers had with Young and Montana, or the run the Patriots are having this last decade.

That could have been the Rams. But it wasn't. And the biggest reason is Martz.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
LesBaker talking dichotomies:
When he said "I think I would have liked to finish up there with Kurt" referring to staying in STL and keeping Warner as the QB I wanted to punch the monitor.

I'll never forgive him for the single dumbest move in the franchises history. I don't care how many ways he says he was wrong, I cannot get past the monumentally stupid, massive ego driven thing he did that broke this franchise and started the downward spiral and the circle of suck.

He blew it, and by "it" I mean perhaps the most special set of circumstances a guy could imagine. There are reasons why this guy got fired so many times in such a short period of time. I won't revise history like some who are willing to do that for the sake of nostalgia. Martz and his ego ruined the team when it was primed to be the type of dynasty that we see in one of two other cities and eras. Like the run the 49ers had with Young and Montana, or the run the Patriots are having this last decade.

Martz giveth and Martz taketh away. We wouldn't have been so special without him. He should have just stayed the OC. You have to apportion part of the blame to DV IMO.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
albefree69 said:

Martz giveth and Martz taketh away. We wouldn't have been so special without him. He should have just stayed the OC. You have to apportion part of the blame to DV IMO.

I've always said the blame was Martz and then the FO at the time. While he had final say over personnel someone should have stepped in and stopped him, even if it was GF herself saying "no, you can't do that".

He should have had the effing sense in the first place but didn't. While it's nice of him to admit it years later it does me as a fan no good at all.

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
Martz was proud of his offense. Too proud. And yet I can't forgive Shaw for the crazy FO structure, which put personnel evaluators below the HC. The FO design was terribly flawed; exactly one HC was able to make it work, and Vermeil wasn't a rookie HC.

Imagine Martz as HC under an actual GM (yes, even Devaney). Martz had an ego, but part of that had to be the lack of football knowledge of Shaw/Zygmunt. His relationship with Armey suffered because he had control. The scouting department was bare bones.

Martz under a GM with football knowledge would have given him someone he might have respected. Might have paid more attention to his defense decisions. Might have done better with his STs.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
I also blame shaw for the dysfunctional chain of command. Football was ALWAYS the last thing on his list of priorities.

Martz should never have had final say on drafting players. He certainly wouldn't back down from that challenge, but he wasn't even close to being qualified for the task. Of course having a qualified person for the responsibility was never something shaw concerned himself with.

FUCK shaw. That pos mother fucker.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
The Rammer said:
rhinobean said:
I feel the same way, I think we knows he made a mistake.

He first admitted it a couple of years ago, and that he should have used Faulk and the running game in the ill fated "We'll win this game my way" SB he blew.

It does me no good as a fan. If you lose your sense of the obvious no "I'm sorry" can negate my disgust and anger and frustration.

The Rams OWED fans an era of winning football and delivered on it, or started to, until 3 idiots effed it up. Martz led the Rams back into the cave. JS and JZ let him do it so they get some blame too. Everything was right there in their hands. All the talent you could ask for. FA's would have been lining up to play here like they have done for a couple of other teams over the last 30 years. Coaches too, and scouts. Everyone would have wanted to be a part of it. They could have vaporized the NFL for the next 7 years or so.

Instead we got a half baked effort from a string of inadequate, under qualified morons in the FO and on the sidelines, leading to the worst 5 year run in the entire history of the NFL.

smram

Rookie
Name
Steve
LesBaker said:
The Rammer said:
rhinobean said:
I feel the same way, I think we knows he made a mistake.

He first admitted it a couple of years ago, and that he should have used Faulk and the running game in the ill fated "We'll win this game my way" SB he blew.

It does me no good as a fan. If you lose your sense of the obvious no "I'm sorry" can negate my disgust and anger and frustration.

The Rams OWED fans an era of winning football and delivered on it, or started to, until 3 idiots effed it up. Martz led the Rams back into the cave. JS and JZ let him do it so they get some blame too. Everything was right there in their hands. All the talent you could ask for. FA's would have been lining up to play here like they have done for a couple of other teams over the last 30 years. Coaches too, and scouts. Everyone would have wanted to be a part of it. They could have vaporized the NFL for the next 7 years or so.

Instead we got a half baked effort from a string of inadequate, under qualified morons in the FO and on the sidelines, leading to the worst 5 year run in the entire history of the NFL.

It's not martz' fault that he didn't have a true GM. He may have had an ego but the head office above him was very disfunctional. Everyone is entitled to their opinion but I think its kind of sad that fans don't appreciate what he did here. The Rams don't win that Super Bowl without several key pieces, Martz maybe being as vital as anyone in that. I will always respect him for the innovation he brought to our Rams.
Instead people focus on his draft picks, which he should have never been put in that position and the fact that they lost a Super Bowl of which the other team cheated in, documented, not speculation. He should have run the ball more though. :lmao: Oh and some wasted time outs because his offense was more complex than any other team. Again... :rofl: He helped put the Rams back on the map in a special moment in time is what I focus on.

smram

Rookie
Name
Steve
LesBaker said:
albefree69 said:

I've always said the blame was Martz and then the FO at the time. While he had final say over personnel someone should have stepped in and stopped him, even if it was GF herself saying "no, you can't do that".

He should have had the effing sense in the first place but didn't. While it's nice of him to admit it years later it does me as a fan no good at all.

Exactly who did you want to veto him and draft someone better? The accountant, the lawyer or the ex Vegas show girl?

The Rammer said:
I miss me some Mad Mike :(

Indeed.

All coaches hate Turn-Overs...cuz they increase the chances of losing.
To Martz, INTs was the cost of doin business...the price for"MaxQ"....of pushing the envelope EVERY play & game.
I've never heard a OC/HC be more dismissive of a QB throwin an INT than Martz.
He only got mad at a QB if the INT was a bad throw or bad read...but NOT for taking a chance on a big play!
I believe the Rams led the NFL in TO's in one of the years they went to the SB...
heck, GSOT prolly led the NFL in INTs every year!!!!!!!!!!!!

Since then, our subsequent OCs/HCs have projected their INT horror onto our QBs and watered down that killer instinct every QB has....
(the desire to throw the ball downfield every play! lol).
I think Bradford had 3 YRS of that conservative brain-washing....always, the freakin check-down.
Take what the defense gives....instead of dictating the game! Ugh!!

Anyway, I know many disagree, but after 35 years of watching the Rams....
Martz's offense made the difference to me and changed how the game was played.

Speeps

Starter
Mad Mike Martz will always be one of my favorite offensive minds in the game of football, yet, be one of my worst talent evaluators in the game.

I agree that Mike ruined this franchise with his ego, and his horrible drafts, but it's not all on him. He was working within the framework of the powers given to him. The front office should have realized Martz's inadequacies and supplemented them with individuals who flourished in those areas. Instead, they turned the franchise over to him, and watched the franchise go down the drain.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
SunTzu.v.Camus singing to the choir:
Anyway, I know many disagree, but after 35 years of watching the Rams....
Martz's offense made the difference to me and changed how the game was played.

I'm right with you there brother! :dancin: