Micheal Hoecht over looked

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
This guy in training camp Day 1 only worked hard & helped other players get better.

Morgan Fox was a guy tried to convert from DT/DE to OLB/DE.
Michael Hoecht has done that &
played well doing it.He has helped B.Young by being a mentor & grinding .

There was a Center & Guard he would work with just helping each other with drills after practice.

I’m glad he got his contract done.Now I wonder about Alaric ?
Will he get a 1 year or multi-year deal,if he even signs with The Rams (he will).

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
He gets a lot of flak round these parts and quite a bit of it is deserved. But he's the kind of player good teams need. Glad he's back in horns.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I'm fine with him as a backup edge/occasional 5-tech. He's a very useful player who gets a fair amount of sacks, and worked hard to get where he was. I'm perfectly fine with him staying on the team.

AZRams

What, we're all thinking it...
He gets a lot of flak round these parts and quite a bit of it is deserved. But he's the kind of player good teams need. Glad he's back in horns.
I get that his biggest issue is coverage and he's given up some big plays there but he's played pretty damn well being asked to play out of position at his size like that.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Mainly when he’s asked to drop into coverage, which is not his forte.

As a backup DL/Edge, he’s a good player.
I don't care about his coverage. In that defense if you're relying on him making the pass defense 30 yards downfield it means you didn't affect the QB.

His problem is his contain but hoping he works on that a bit more this year in camp.

payote75

Hall of Fame
Name
Payote75
I think he is or can be an above average player but miscast. Having him drop BK to cover DKs and jamaar chases is just setting him up for failure which shocks me because the rams don't do that with any players. He is super athletic so just let him play where he will be at an advantage not play where he is at a disadvantage.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Hoesct like has been said is depth every team needs. But he shouldn't be starting.

AZRams

What, we're all thinking it...
I don't care about his coverage. In that defense if you're relying on him making the pass defense 30 yards downfield it means you didn't affect the QB.

His problem is his contain but hoping he works on that a bit more this year in camp.
Don't know what the numbers say but I had the sense in just watching the game that he was better this last year versus '22 in that regard.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Nah, Big Rob is way more valuable to this team. The contract says it all. Hoecht is a good rotational piece, nothing more.
Giving him the opportunity could prove more of his value. Experience is under

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame
Giving him the opportunity could prove more of his value. Experience is under
He's been given plenty of opportunity and has started quite a few games for us. He's a rotational piece and he's proven that in spades. Nothing wrong with that, he's a pro and an average player at best. We could definitely upgrade him which is why it took so long for the Rams to resign him. If we had gotten an edge like Van Ginkle signed, doubt he'd be on the roster.

LA_Rams_#29

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
LA Rams 29
Hoecht is one of my favorite players on this team. He represents to me one of the best things about our organization, which is we develop players. Every move he's made has been because we needed him at a particular spot, and he's improved in every spot we've had him. A lot of the flack he gets isn't fair IMO...and I think it's based on more of him being a former DT, and now you see him lined up across of DK Metcalf. I mean yeah, I was in shock too. But it wasn't a mistake, or a blown coverage...he was there because he was continuing to improve in his coverage ability. PFF rating backs that up. He improved throughout the season in coverage. No..I don't want him lined up on WRs like that ....but the data shows the guy continued to improve in coverage all season.

According to Snead, Hoecht will remain an edge rusher, but may be in a rotation. I honestly think we'll see him lined up in Jonah Williams old spot. But he has inside and outside versatility for us, and that's going to be a plus.

Another poster mentioned Hoecht would be a solid DE in a 4-3....I totally agree with that, and I assumed he was going to leave for a team where he'd be in that spot. The fact he's staying tells me that our plan for him is more appealing to him, which means it may not be strictly on the edge. If Snead had said Hoecht is moving inside that may tip off the priority we place on edge in the draft, so Snead may be trying to hold his cards close.

KA210927

Rookie
Name
Kevin
He can be a valuable piece for the rams defense BUT they need to stop asking him to drop into coverage. He was taken advantage of too many times when asked to cover RBs and TEs and I remember he even got caught covering WRs a few times. I don’t trust him at all to cover anything. He’s a DL.