Michael Bennett says Seahawks are “best defense to ever play football”

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Scroll down to watch "A Football Life -Fearsome Foursome."
------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...hawks-are-best-defense-to-ever-play-football/

Posted by Curtis Crabtree on December 23, 2014

michael-bennett.jpg
AP

Richard Sherman isn’t the only member of the Seattle Seahawks Defense that likes to speak his mind.

Defensive end Michael Bennett is also one of the team’s most outspoken players and he isn’t lacking for confidence in the aftermath of Seattle’s 35-6 victory over the Arizona Cardinals to grab first place in the NFC West and prime position for home-field advantage throughout the playoffs.

The Seahawks defense has held opponents to 193.6 yards per game and 6.6 points per game on average over the last five weeks. Given the rule changes in the past many years to continually make things easier for offenses to score points, for a team to allow less than a touchdown a game over five weeks is a pretty staggering stretch.

It’s left Bennett feeling very strongly about how Seattle’s defense compares with the all-time greats.

We’re the best defense to ever play football,” Bennett told Omar Ruiz of the NFL Network. “So when we play the way we play, the way we’re capable of playing, whatever [Ryan Lindley] did didn’t really matter. When we line up and play the way we are capable of playing, I don’t think anybody can play with us.”

The Seahawks lead the league in yards allowed per game (268.6) and points per game (16.5). Seattle holds a slim margin over the Detroit Lions in the points per game category. The Seahawks have allowed four fewer points this season entering the final week with Seattle playing St. Louis while Detroit has to play Green Bay.

If the Seahawks can maintain their edge in points per game allowed, they will become just the fourth team in league history to lead the league in yards and points allowed in consecutive seasons. The 1954-55 Cleveland Browns, 1969-70 Minnesota Vikings and 1985-86 Chicago Bears have also accomplished the feat. It would also be their third straight season leading the league in fewest points allowed.

If Seattle can win a second Super Bowl to pair with their statistical dominance, Bennett may be absolutely correct.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDaiar-pS_s

LetsGoRams

Pro Bowler
Name
Thrasher
He needs to talk to the Steel Curtain, the Fearsome Foursome, the Bucs and Ravens early 2000's....

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I really don't care what people say about best this or best that.

Trying to compare some of the defenses from back in the 60's or 70's to today's defense seems like a fool's errand.

Sleepy1711

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
We’re the best defense to ever play football,” Bennett told Omar Ruiz of the NFL Network. “So when we play the way we play, the way we’re capable of playing, whatever [Ryan Lindley] did didn’t really matter. When we line up and play the way we are capable of playing, I don’t think anybody can play with us.”

When you throw the name Lindley in and tell people you are the greatest defense ever, makes me laugh inside.

Granted their D is good..but greatest? C'mon Mike, you taken too many hits to the head.

RamsFanCK

HAIL ME
I might be ok with best defense in this era. But I'm so tired of hearing best ever. None of these defenses, QB's, or whoever else can be compared to each other across the decades because the game is significantly different in ruling and play style.

Win1-4Ned

Rookie
Sounds like a challenge to me. Hopefully the defense comes back from the bye week refreshed and ready to play.

WvuIN02

Starter
1976 Steel Curtain

The team flicked a switch over the final nine weeks of the (then 14-game) season. The Steelers pitched five shutouts and allowed an amazing total of just 28 points (3.1 PPG) in those final nine games. It was the greatest stretch of defensive dominance in the history of the NFL.

All of that was without Bradshaw who was hurt from October to December of that season.

Irish

Starter
The 2000 Ravens would like a word, Mr. Bennett.

They carried a team with Trent effing Dilfer to a superbowl championship.

Trent. Effing. Dilfer.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
The Rams need to dick punch that entire team again. I want blood this Sunday.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude

Trent. Effing. Dilfer.
Yeah, but they had Tony Banks for a whi..

Never mind. :oops:

iced

i hope any player would believe that for confidence reasons - however for accuracy its not even remotely close

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
HA!HA!HA!HA!HA!HA!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Someone needs to serve this guy Pancakes Sunday! Maybe GRob! (y)

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Scroll down to watch "A Football Life -Fearsome Foursome."
------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...hawks-are-best-defense-to-ever-play-football/

Posted by Curtis Crabtree on December 23, 2014

michael-bennett.jpg
AP

Richard Sherman isn’t the only member of the Seattle Seahawks Defense that likes to speak his mind.

Defensive end Michael Bennett is also one of the team’s most outspoken players and he isn’t lacking for confidence in the aftermath of Seattle’s 35-6 victory over the Arizona Cardinals to grab first place in the NFC West and prime position for home-field advantage throughout the playoffs.

The Seahawks defense has held opponents to 193.6 yards per game and 6.6 points per game on average over the last five weeks. Given the rule changes in the past many years to continually make things easier for offenses to score points, for a team to allow less than a touchdown a game over five weeks is a pretty staggering stretch.

It’s left Bennett feeling very strongly about how Seattle’s defense compares with the all-time greats.

The Seahawks lead the league in yards allowed per game (268.6) and points per game (16.5). Seattle holds a slim margin over the Detroit Lions in the points per game category. The Seahawks have allowed four fewer points this season entering the final week with Seattle playing St. Louis while Detroit has to play Green Bay.

If the Seahawks can maintain their edge in points per game allowed, they will become just the fourth team in league history to lead the league in yards and points allowed in consecutive seasons. The 1954-55 Cleveland Browns, 1969-70 Minnesota Vikings and 1985-86 Chicago Bears have also accomplished the feat. It would also be their third straight season leading the league in fewest points allowed.

If Seattle can win a second Super Bowl to pair with their statistical dominance, Bennett may be absolutely correct.

I can never get tired of watching this ^ Video on the " Fearsome Foursome! Great memories of Great Times!!(y)(y)(y)(y):D:D:D:D

Pancake

Hall of Fame
Name
Ernie
Bennett is a moron. In 10 years Sherman is the only guy who will be remembered from that D and it won't be for his great D but for his big mouth.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Trent. Effing. Dilfer.

to be fair to dilfer the hc made the change to dilfer midseason after the ravens were sputtering on offense. i'm not sure if they lost a game that season after he became the starter but i could be wrong.