Merits of Cook and Possibilities Questions/Discussion

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
OK, so there's a lot of talk about trading Cook, Cook sucks, Cook's the best receiver we have, etc. etc.

Question 1 - Would another player with the same opportunities given Cook have performed at a similar level, since he is currently our 2nd-leading receiver (TOTAL OPINION QUESTION)?

Question 2 - Who would you like to see get his targets, as he has the most on the team this year?

Question 3 - Do you think of Cook as a TE or a big slot receiver?

Question 4 - Do you think Cook could perform better in a different system/with a different coach/with a different QB/etc?

A few statistics for discussion:

Cook's reception % is 53.6%
Cook has, per SportingCharts, 3 drops (10.7% drop rate), which is tied for 6th-most

Interestingly, Benny Cunningham also has 3 drops on 19 targets, a 15.8% drop rate, but a 73.7% targets-to-catches ratio

Be happy we don't have Leonard Hankerson on the team, as his 7 drops leads the league

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
This is Cook's 4th QB, and 2nd OC...in 3 years with team...He needs time to develop chemistry....At least he gets open...I'd give him a few more games...He looks like an asset to the team...Even with 3 drops & several missed opportunities on what many believe are catchable balls...I'm a little shocked they haven't used Brian Quick.....

I still say, the QB has more to do with the offenses production, or lack there of, during this season. Foles delivers the ball on time, in better spots, the catches will come...

Edit....on to the questions
1. Maybe...who do you want to use? Kendricks? Harkey? Cunningham?
2. Brian Quick
3. TE
4. You put Cook in NE, Denver, San Diego, NY Giants, GB, Dallas, Pitt, or with a upcoming scrambling QB with a good arm, he'd become dangerous.....

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
OK, so there's a lot of talk about trading Cook, Cook sucks, Cook's the best receiver we have, etc. etc.

Question 1 - Would another player with the same opportunities given Cook have performed at a similar level, since he is currently our 2nd-leading receiver (TOTAL OPINION QUESTION)?

Question 2 - Who would you like to see get his targets, as he has the most on the team this year?

Bailey and Austin. I believe this dynamic duo is on the verge of being VERY strong. If Bailey gets more targets he'll show what he's got.

I think of Cook as a big slow receiver. He's made a couple good blocks, but he hasn't done anything of note this year that couldn't be replaced by our other 3 tight ends. Hell we've seen Kendricks lined up wide a couple times this year.

Question 4 - Do you think Cook could perform better in a different system/with a different coach/with a different QB/etc?

Don't really care, but for the sake of discussion, Yes. I think a Chip Kelly's offense would be perfect for him.

A few statistics for discussion:

Cook's reception % is 53.6%
Cook has, per SportingCharts, 3 drops (10.7% drop rate), which is tied for 6th-most

Interestingly, Benny Cunningham also has 3 drops on 19 targets, a 15.8% drop rate, but a 73.7% targets-to-catches ratio

Be happy we don't have Leonard Hankerson on the team, as his 7 drops leads the league

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Cook's drops were bad drops. They were not heavily contested and one was a TD others moved the markers. Many times his demeanor on the sidelines is not what you want from a team player.

I like to get away from the eye rollers and head shakers and disgusted looks and get guys that are all on board. I don't always get that feeling from Cook.

However, it is possible that this story about Fisher looking for a trade, could be an attempt to light a fire under Cooks butt.........but I don't think the possibility is that great.

fearsomefour

Legend
He is either an incomplete TE or a clumsy slow off the line (not talking 40 speed) WR.
I think of him as a TE.
Finding players that work is all about fitting scheme. As the Rams go forward maybe he doesn't fit the scheme as much as a couple of years ago. I think he can still be effective going forward if used to his strengths. As a traditional TE in the running scheme he is the 3rd best TE on the roster.
The Cook bashing (and I have been critical since day one) should really be toned back a bit. Cook is not the reason the O is struggling. Singling out one player for a units struggles is just silly. Saying he doesn't try is just as silly without being inside his head and the film room/practice with the coaches.
If the Rams replace Cook after this season it will either be drafting a guy for the same roll with better perceives skills (route running, hands) or find a great traditional blocking TE.

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
Better than Conwell? Loved me some Conwell. And Manumaleuna.

I liked them both, Manumaleuna was reliable as well - but statistically speaking Cook is the most successful tight end we've had. People want him cut? I actually get that. He's killed too many important drives with drops on 3rd down.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
Cook looks like he's going to drop virtually every ball that hits his hands. If you watch, he juggles it almost every damn time.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Another player would have performed at a higher level because I do not believe another player would drop passes as much or takes plays off.
As far as "2nd leading receiver" and "top Rams receiver last year"... like one poster said, a person of normal height in a room of little people. Nothing to really brag about.

I think Kendricks or Harkey, no? Both seem to be more complete players.

I think he thinks he's a slot receiver who doesn't have to block... I see him as a TE that needs to block more effectively.

No. Because his heart appears to show up, then disappear... there doesn't seem to be a continuous burning fire inside him.
If things aren't going his way, his interest wanes. No team (or teammates) like that. How'd he do in TN?

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Cook is not the reason the O is struggling.
He's one of the reasons but certainly not the sole one.
In order for this offense to make some strides, every player has to step up... he's just one of them.
Fair or not, it's the money he's made... and is making... that annoys me.
When looking at that and how he actually performs, it just comes across as lazy or taking advantage of the contract... I can't get behind either of those.

Saying he doesn't try is just as silly without being inside his head and the film room/practice with the coaches.
Boy, I dunno... it's pretty clear the guy takes plays off and is not very interested in blocking. It's been his "rep" since back in college. And now the Rams may be thinking of unloading him?
I'd venture to guess that's one reason why.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I liked them both, Manumaleuna was reliable as well - but statistically speaking Cook is the most successful tight end we've had. People want him cut? I actually get that. He's killed too many important drives with drops on 3rd down.
I'd argue that while he's racked up the most yards of any TE we've had, the TE position has so many different responsibilities that you have to consider... Ernie Conwell was probably the best TE we've had overall.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Cook is now in his 8th season, isn't he?

Players seldom have "breakout years" after their first seven.

Soooo... What we see is what we're gonna get, don't you think?

And is what we're getting worth $7 million per year? I think the answer is pretty obvious.

BTW, Cook is a TE in name only.

What receivers would I prefer to get those targets if Cook were to be traded? Hell, ANY of them. Lol.

The following are all receiving too few targets, IMO.

Britt
Quick
Bailey
Kendricks
Harkey
Gurley
Mason

And it wouldn't disappoint me to see Marquez get a few targets, as well.

Most of the above listed players at least SEEM to have more heart and desire in their little finger than Cook has in his whole body.

Sigh...

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
1. Like others have said, being our second leading receiver is like being the tallest midget, he doesn't even have a huge game to hang his hat off of like Britt or Austin. His best game was for 85 yards and 0 TDs, is that what we're looking to keep just because we'll never be able to replicate it?

2. All our receivers, I posted it in a thread prior, but everyone but Austin is criminally under targeted in comparison to Cook. Hell even Britt has 6 less targets than him, everyone else outside of Tavon is double digits. Cook has the vast majority of our drops with Kendricks and Cunningham on his rear, outside of Cook and them our receivers have only had 3 drops among them. As many as Cook has by himself.

3. A big WR, in fact I think a team would be smart to just drop the pretense of him being a TE all together. Ala Graham in NO, just line him up and start shoving him down people's throats. Of course Cook would actually have to play every down and have Graham's heart, but outside of that that's the mold I think he'd best fit in.

4. Maybe? That's a distinct possibility, but I ply this question back, who cares? He's not getting it done on OUR team, that's all that matters.

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
Cook is a TE that is above average at ten percent of the position (speed) and well below average at the rest.
His biggest problems are his lack of football smarts and heart.

Alan

Legend
DCH with the big four:

Question 1 - Would another player with the same opportunities given Cook have performed at a similar level, since he is currently our 2nd-leading receiver

Question 1 - Yes. That reception % of 53.6% is way to low.
https://www.numberfire.com/nfl/news/2846/is-this-jared-cook-s-year-spoiler-probably-not
Is This Jared Cook's Year? (Spoiler: Probably Not)
We’ve been doing a lot of single-player profiles at numberFire lately, but a lot of those articles have keyed in on the way a player might exceed or fall short of expectations. I’d like to take a look at a player who just might be the surest bet in the league to meet our expectations...or, at least, what our expectations should be.

Jared Cook is now entering his sixth season in the NFL. (You read that correctly - his sixth season. Other blue-hairs drafted in 2009, in case you were wondering, include Matthew Stafford, Michael Crabtree, andKnowshon Moreno.) Fantasy footballers have pegged Cook as a “sleeper” at tight end approximately seven out of his five years in the league, but so far he hasn’t managed to truly break out.

Last year was almost certainly his best campaign yet; he led the Rams in receiving with a career-high 51 catches for 671 yards and 5 touchdowns despite losing his starting quarterback, Sam Bradford, for the better part of the season. He finished 15th among tight ends in Net Expected Points(NEP), which isn’t a terrible outcome by any means for a guy who entered a new system in the offseason and then lost his starting quarterback.

At a cursory glance, Cook’s performance last year might seem like his floor. But in reality, it’s probably closer to his ceiling. He opened the 2013 season with a bang, catching seven passes for a whopping 141 yards and two scores. But after that, Cook all but disappeared. In case you don’t want to do the math, those 141 yards represent over 21% of Cook’s receiving total on the year. The Rams’ Week 2 contest against the Falcons was a particularly low point, as Cook caught just one ball on five targets for 10 yards on the day.

After Cook’s scorching performance in the opener, the poor guy only had one other double-digit fantasy performance all year, a 4-for-80-with-a-touchdown outing in a 42-21 blowout win over the Bears. Ultimately, Cook only eclipsed the 50-yard mark twice in sixteen games, and that Week 1 display remained his only game with more than 5 receptions.

There are a number of reasons why a guy like Cook might have had a season like that, and all of them remain red flags in 2014. Let’s break them down one by one:

1. The Rams just don’t have elite offensive weapons. Even if you ignore the mediocre play of Sam Bradford during his time in the league, it’s difficult to look past the guys who surround Cook. Second-year burnerTavon Austin has potential, but he was mostly a non-factor in his rookie season. His compatriots at wide receiver are Chris Givens, Brian Quick,Austin Pettis, Kenny Britt and Stedman Bailey, none of whom are exactlyTorry Holt. And while running back Zac Stacy was impressive as a rookie, he’s not yet the kind of stud rusher who can draw enough attention to open up the passing game.

2. He hasn’t made the most of his limited opportunities. Last year, Jared Cook was targeted 85 times. He caught 51 of those passes, good for a catch rate of exactly 60%. Among the 20 tight ends targeted most often last year, the only ones with worse catch rates than Cook were Coby Fleener, Garrett Graham, and a very gimpy Rob Gronkowski. He also ranked just 24th among tight ends in Reception NEP per target, at 0.65. It’s difficult to predict better results for Jared Cook in 2014 when the volume of squandered opportunities has been so high in the past.
EDIT: Obviously he's doing even worse this year.
Sam Bradford isn’t going to help. You might think that Bradford’s injury and subsequent replacement by journeyman Kellen Clemens put a damper on Cook’s season, but advanced metrics show that the two quarterbacks had remarkably similar production last year: Bradford threw 277 passes for a passing NEP of -1.02 and a Success Rate of 46.21%, while Clemens threw 263 passes for a passing NEP of -3.80 and a Success Rate of 45.25%. Even if the Rams get a full year out of Sam Bradford, don’t expect a dramatic rise in Cook’s fortunes.

4. Lance Kendricks is still around. Don’t forget about Lance Kendricks, the Rams’ other one-time sleeper tight end, who’ll line up opposite Cook more often than not. Kendricks has been a minor but nonzero part of the Rams offense over the last few years, and this season he’s projected by numberFire at 50th among tight ends, with about 22 receptions, 201 yards, and a pair of scores. That’s barely a blip on the fantasy radar, but it’s enough to steal potential production away from Jared Cook.

The bottom line is that Jared Cook is what he is: an athletically-gifted but fantasy-limited tight end. numberFire’s analytics have him ranked 16th among tight ends, and that gray area between TE1 and fantasy non-factor is right where he belongs. You may get into the late rounds of your draft, see the name “Jared Cook”, and hear a quiet voice whispering “sleeper” in the back of your mind, since it’s been conditioned into you like Pavlov’s dogs for the last five years. But this is a guy who probably doesn’t have any more upside than we’ve already seen, and if you’re trying to win your fantasy football league, it’s probably not enough.

Question 2 - Whoever is the best option on a given play.

Question 3 - I think he's a liability.

Question 4 - With a better QB or the same QB with more time to throw? Maybe, but so would his replacement.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Cook doesn't suck because he isn't talented. He sucks because he doesn't focus and the effort isn't there. He needs to go