Men with beards carry more germs than dogs

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

coconut

Pro Bowler
Name
coconut
https://www.thesun.co.uk/sun-men/8860464/men-beards-germs-dogs-bacteria/

FEELING RUFF
Men with beards carry more germs than dogs including deadly bacteria in facial fuzz, study claims
Professor Andreas Gutzeit said the study showed hounds were 'clean compared with bearded men'

By Phoebe Cooke
14th April 2019, 10:24 am

Updated: 14th April 2019, 4:23 pm

MEN with beards carry more germs than dogs including deadly bacteria in their facial fuzz, a hair-raising study has found.

Researchers discovered that nearly half of all sampled beards hosted bugs dangerous to human health.

Dogs were described as ‘cleaner’ than bearded men, a surprising study has shown
The study was trying to determine whether there was a risk of humans picking up a dog-borne disease from an MRI scanner also used for examinations by vets, the Mail On Sunday reports.

In examining the beards of 18 men and the necks of 30 dogs from a number of breeds, scientists found that even hounds had lower levels of microbes than the beards surveyed.

Professor Andreas Gutzeit, of Switzerland’s Hirslanden Clinic, said: “The researchers found a significantly higher bacterial load in specimens taken from the men’s beards compared with the dogs’ fur.”

On the basis of these findings, dogs can be considered as clean compared with bearded men

Professor Andreas Gutzeit
The study found all of the bearded men, aged from 18 to 76, showed high microbial counts, while only 23 out of 30 dogs had high counts, and the remainder had moderate levels.

Seven of the men were shown to have bugs hazardous to human health.

The scanners were disinfected after the dogs were examined on the MRI scanner, showing a “significantly” lower bacteria count compared with levels seen when used by humans.

“On the basis of these findings, dogs can be considered as clean compared with bearded men,” said Dr Gutzeit.

Keith Flett, founder of the Beard Liberation Front that promotes facial hair, was not impressed by the report.

“I think it’s possible to find all sorts of unpleasant things if you took swabs from people’s hair and hands and then tested them,” he told the Mail.

“I don’t believe that beards in themselves are unhygienic.

“There seems to be a constant stream of negative stories about beards that suggest it’s more about pogonophobia [the fear of beards] than anything else.”

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
The trend of growing out a large beard is FUBAR. I've seen some a foot or even more.

And I don't know any chicks that dig that look.

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
Were the tested men unwashed hippies or were these well groomed men who have a short beard? I feel like all those guys trying to impress ZZ Top with their foot long disgusting beards and their unwashed man-buns are making the rest of men with short, well groomed, neatly trimmed, and frequently washed beards look bad.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
depends on the guy.

Lots of guys will have a thorough shower and never wash their face. /shrug

then again, MOST guys don't wash their hands after using a public toilet... which is FAR more gross to me than guys who don't treat their beard with more care.

coconut

Pro Bowler
Name
coconut
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Were the tested men unwashed hippies or were these well groomed men who have a short beard? I feel like all those guys trying to impress ZZ Top with their foot long disgusting beards and their unwashed man-buns are making the rest of men with short, well groomed, neatly trimmed, and frequently washed beards look bad.
I think it is the lack of being well washed since facial hair affords ample anchorage for germs compared to a washed shaven face.

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
I think it is the lack of being well washed since facial hair affords ample anchorage for germs compared to a washed shaven face.
Which would be a matter problem with a longer beard, compared to something like what McVay has. Also, wouldn't that same argument apply to regular hair? So everyone with hair is more germ ridden than dogs.

But wait! Dogs are way hairier than humans and clean themselves less often. So, that doesn't really stand up.

coconut

Pro Bowler
Name
coconut
Which would be a matter problem with a longer beard, compared to something like what McVay has. Also, wouldn't that same argument apply to regular hair? So everyone with hair is more germ ridden than dogs.

But wait! Dogs are way hairier than humans and clean themselves less often. So, that doesn't really stand up.
No I suspect not. Dogs sweat through their mouth. When we sweat the oil builds up on our skin and feeds the nasty crawlies. Ditto for our slobbering, drooling and just plain missing the suck hole when eating. Thats why I suspect cleaning a shaved face is an easier thus quicker proposition than a beard. Now if a beard is washed sufficiently then I suppose the face could be cleaner than a dog but isn't growing a beard really about shaving less?

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
No I suspect not. Dogs sweat through their mouth. When we sweat the oil builds up on our skin and feeds the nasty crawlies. Ditto for our slobbering, drooling and just plain missing the suck hole when eating. Thats why I suspect cleaning a shaved face is an easier thus quicker proposition than a beard. Now if a beard is washed sufficiently then I suppose the face could be cleaner than a dog but isn't growing a beard really about shaving less?
It is about shaving less, at least for me that's exclusively the reason. I wash my face just as, if not more, intently than I did before.

Shaving and face washing aren't the same thing.

Growing a beard and not face washing aren't there same thing.

Quality of human being should be huge factor in a study like this. And 18 humans isn't a large enough number. 30 did isn't a large enough number socially when considering a variety of dog breeds was used. The whole thing is the equivalent of science click bait.

I'm usually not all about dismissing scientists, but they are humans that need money too.

coconut

Pro Bowler
Name
coconut
It is about shaving less, at least for me that's exclusively the reason. I wash my face just as, if not more, intently than I did before.

Shaving and face washing aren't the same thing.

Growing a beard and not face washing aren't there same thing.

Quality of human being should be huge factor in a study like this. And 18 humans isn't a large enough number. 30 did isn't a large enough number socially when considering a variety of dog breeds was used. The whole thing is the equivalent of science click bait.

I'm usually not all about dismissing scientists, but they are humans that need money too.
I agree that a shave isn't a substitute for washing the face. You would have to wash a bearded face longer to remove the nasties from the follicular forest. Then there is the issue of napkin efficiency on a bearded face. Once anything migrates within that forest it won't be as easy to remove so there is more time and opportunity for the nasties to grow.

No question the study is click bait. Given the large market and profitability of grooming products this won't be the last study either.

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
I agree that a shave isn't a substitute for washing the face. You would have to wash a bearded face longer to remove the nasties from the follicular forest. Then there is the issue of napkin efficiency on a bearded face. Once anything migrates within that forest it won't be as easy to remove so there is more time and opportunity for the nasties to grow.

No question the study is click bait. Given the large market and profitability of grooming products this won't be the last study either.
What are "napkins"? Do you mean pants? Who would wipe their face on their pants? If clean shaven men are doing this, maybe they are nastier than bearded men.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
lol...Me thinks this is an envy of the bearded, hate thread! Besides, my 'goat' has only half the germs compared to the full bearded ZZ Top dudes!:rockon:

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
I'll have to let my dog know about this.

He just did this moments ago and he does this every morning. He knows what time I'm supposed to get out of bed, so every morning he jumps up on our bed and lays his head on my neck (my beard obviously touches him) until I wake up.

Looks like I'm either setting the alarm clock or sleeping in from now on. Once he hears how disgusting my beard is he will obviously steer clear of it.

coconut

Pro Bowler
Name
coconut
I'll have to let my dog know about this.

He just did this moments ago and he does this every morning. He knows what time I'm supposed to get out of bed, so every morning he jumps up on our bed and lays his head on my neck (my beard obviously touches him) until I wake up.

Looks like I'm either setting the alarm clock or sleeping in from now on. Once he hears how disgusting my beard is he will obviously steer clear of it.
You have a good thing going there so don't tell him but let him use the shower after you've finished.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
depends on the guy.

Lots of guys will have a thorough shower and never wash their face. /shrug

then again, MOST guys don't wash their hands after using a public toilet... which is FAR more gross to me than guys who don't treat their beard with more care.

wash-your-hands.jpg

Rynie

Cowboys rudeboy.
Name
Rynie
I just automatically think of neckbeards, the grown adult virgins that watch anime', own at least one samurai sword, and still live with Mom.

They're definitively nasty, smelling like cheetos and mountain dew.

Mister Sin

Your friendly neighborhood fat guy!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I’ve had a beard for years, I wash it daily with my hair and put moisturizing cream in it. I do sometimes think about the upper lip catching the beverages, but I almost religiously only drink water, so I think I’m okay. But folks drinking bear and soda/sugary drinks...ew. I will say this....This bitch looks good. Plus, your Momma and sister, both like it!

Now, I don’t keep a 12” beard going, I usually try to keep it under 2-3”. I think the guys with those massive Viking beards...well, some pull it off...most don’t lol.

I’ve read polls that go both ways saying women like/dislike them. I’ve seen that general public doesn’t trust men with beards as much as without. My biggest deal, if you can’t grow it, don’t make an attempt. If you don’t know how to groom it, don’t make an attempt. And if your fucking beard is connecting to your chest hair, you’ve lost control, my friend!

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I’ve read polls that go both ways saying women like/dislike them.

My late wife insisted that I grow my carefully cut beard longer. She loved beards, but carefully trimmed ones irritated her face when making out. Since I enjoyed kissing her, it got longer. The longest it had been since grad school - I cut it then because I was doing a teaching assistantship and looked like a hippy - too stereotypical for a grad student.