Media on Stafford

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
i mean clearly some argues it cuz thats why this thread was made....Im not trying to hate on stafford or anything, im just being realistic and answering the question. the reason the media keeps mention him having to not make "boneheaded mistakes" is because hes done it often this year and lost the team games because of it. its a legitimate argument to make

again i dont think its about him being turnover prone or makes a high amount of turnovers, its more about how he had really bad really crucial turnovers that lost the team games. pretty sure the media also talked endlessly about mahomes turnover issue throughout the year. there was like a 2 or 3 game stretch the chiefs never punted and still lost some games because of turnovers. costing your team wins because of bad turnovers is going to get talked about for any qb, its not something new and exclusive to stafford. I feel we can agree here that if he has a performance like he did vs the niners the first time they played where he had 2 early pick 6s, we probably arent gonna win the sb

Well, you could say that, however, look at Burrow, Brady, Allen, etc. They are all within 5 INT's of Stafford on the year. So all of the top QB's have turned the ball over. Yet, outside of Brady, Stafford has more TD passes than all of them.
Again, look at it in total. His really bad run was during our losing skid. Outside of that his #'s are pretty damn good.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Well, you could say that, however, look at Burrow, Brady, Allen, etc. They are all within 5 INT's of Stafford on the year. So all of the top QB's have turned the ball over. Yet, outside of Brady, Stafford has more TD passes than all of them.
Again, look at it in total. His really bad run was during our losing skid. Outside of that his #'s are pretty damn good.
It’s the pick 6s, fumbles and ints inside the 10 that separate him this year. And he has, by a good margin, the most pick 6s among active players.

And he’s pretty awesome.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Seriously, when you compare the stats and careers of Brett Favre vs Matthew Stafford, the biggest difference is the number of awards Favre has won, by NOT being on the Lions and Favre has won ONE Super Bowl. Favre has thrown significantly more interceptions for less yards and TD's that Stafford. Stafford will throw for more passing yards by 18 years in the NFL than Favre did in 20 years. If Stafford wins a Super Bowl this year, he is Canton bound...... There is no doubt.

Flint

Pro Bowler
It was a tipped int that fell into a safety's hands. Rams tipped more than one Jimmy G ball.

Yeah.. that's luck.
Yeah but if you’re on the 1 there are 22 guys within 10 yds of the los, a lot more likely to get picked.

Ramlock

Here we f’n go, baby!
Name
Ramlock
He's had a good playoff run so far. 842 yards, 4 TDs, 2 ints, 104 QBR, against two middling defenses and one good defense.

Stafford has 905 yards, 6 tds, 1 int, and a QBR of 125. I can see why the media is picking Burrow to win mvp:rolleyes:
I am a fan of Stafford now that he’s the Ram QB…those are some damn good stats over the last three games.

I’m riding with Stafford right now and he keeps it going all the way to MVP on Sunday.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I am a fan of Stafford now that he’s the Ram QB…those are some damn good stats over the last three games.

I’m riding with Stafford right now and he keeps it going all the way to MVP on Sunday.
I guess he needs a little over 300 yards to set a record for the most total yards passing in the playoffs.

I'm not sure he'll get it though. I think the Bengals are going to drop 8 and let the Rams try to beat them running the ball. It could make it tough to get yards in the air.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

1SJcNMK.gif

Ramlock

Here we f’n go, baby!
Name
Ramlock
I guess he needs a little over 300 yards to set a record for the most total yards passing in the playoffs.

I'm not sure he'll get it though. I think the Bengals are going to drop 8 and let the Rams try to beat them running the ball. It could make it tough to get yards in the air.
I don't know, you may be right.

I just don't see them dropping 8 for most of the game.

Rams will have success running the ball on offense and I would be surprised if they don't get out to a lead, so could be difficult to get 300.

This game sets up kinda like the Cardinals Wild Card game...if they drop 8, Rams will run for 150 with three fresh backs including Henderson.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Right now the Bengals are seeing the Rams offense move up and down the field for all 3 playoff games on the back of that pass game. So I agree with the sentiment that the Bengals are gonna flood the secondary.

They also aren't good vs the run, which suggests shutting down our pass game is what they'll prioritize while hoping that Stafford puts up some interceptions. That's what I'd do and it will work if the Bengals offense can put points up early and often.

Nice thing for us is if McVay calls the game like he did vs SF with those early down runs that so many here hate, that will force their hand because I think our run game is gonna fire off in this one. I mean he's been very disciplined so far in the playoffs with mid-20s carries in each game. So it's unlikely we see him do like Reid did and forget to run the ball. In fact I think it's a focus for this one.

IE Rams

Pro Bowler

Then we get yards on the ground, THEN in the air.

MachS

Hall of Fame
Nice thing for us is if McVay calls the game like he did vs SF with those early down runs that so many here hate, that will force their hand because I think our run game is gonna fire off in this one
Early down runs vs TB and SF are not ideal. Getting stuffed and immediately are in 2nd and 9+ means you're locked into a pass pretty much on 2nd down. Their fronts are just too good on 1st down. Passing on 1st versus them and gaining 5 yards gives you flexibility and element of surprise on 2nd down.

That wont be the case vs CIN. We can run on first down and run again on second down and get to 3rd and manageable if we want that way. We will have much more flexibility in our playcalling this week, but regardless Cincy doesn't have a dominant secondary. They have a few nice players but we can pass the ball on anyone. We just cant force the pass into tough looks when checking to a run play is the better option.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Early down runs vs TB and SF are not ideal. Getting stuffed and immediately are in 2nd and 9+ means you're locked into a pass pretty much on 2nd down. Their fronts are just too good on 1st down. Passing on 1st versus them and gaining 5 yards gives you flexibility and element of surprise on 2nd down.

That wont be the case vs CIN. We can run on first down and run again on second down and get to 3rd and manageable if we want that way. We will have much more flexibility in our playcalling this week, but regardless Cincy doesn't have a dominant secondary. They have a few nice players but we can pass the ball on anyone. We just cant force the pass into tough looks when checking to a run play is the better option.
Vs SF and Tampa specifically it wasn't so much about the production as it was ensuring the OL wasn't getting bum rushed. We saw it especially vs SF, where the run calls that so many were angry about actually kept the 9ers DL honest. To the point where the Rams moved up and down the field in spite of inducing some longer yardage on third downs.

Had we come out throwing in that game vs SF we would have lost IMO. We won that game because he kept the offense grounded and sustained drives with the pass game converting third downs even when they were behind the chains. The Rams offense has been damn near unstoppable in the playoffs and the only reason that game was close was because of mistakes.

I think what's going on with this team right now is their offense is far better than anyone realizes. Because of the turnovers and points they have left on the field that allowed what should have been blowouts or easy wins over Tampa and SF to be final possession games.

Only way Cincy is gonna slow this pass game is with a great rush. I don't know if they have the horses to do that. They can't do it with the blitz because the Rams are so good at anticipating that. It will need to be with their base front. Key for the Rams offense in this game is simply not turning it over and finishing the drives in the redzone. Oh and btw if the Bengals do load the secondary which is possible the Rams should be able to easily answer. This isn't a great run stopping front we're facing.

MachS

Hall of Fame
Vs SF and Tampa specifically it wasn't so much about the production as it was ensuring the OL wasn't getting bum rushed. We saw it especially vs SF, where the run calls that so many were angry about actually kept the 9ers DL honest. To the point where the Rams moved up and down the field in spite of inducing some longer yardage on third downs.
I understand your point and it's an important philosophy to stick with the run to keep their DL honest. Even if it isn't yielding great results. I just think there is a better way to sequence those runs. Because if you get stuffed on 1st down, 2nd down is almost always a pass. If that pass goes incomplete, then you're stuck in another known pass situation on 3rd and long. Whereas if you pass on first down and get to 2nd and 5. You can run on 2nd down and if you get stuffed its no big deal because its already 3rd and manageable. I agree we had to stay with the run, but it's important to be efficient on 1st downs versus those physical fronts. This week against CIN we will have our complete playbook available and will have an ability to do whatever we want on early downs. We should be able to run the ball against them at will which should bode well for us.

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
It’s the pick 6s, fumbles and ints inside the 10 that separate him this year. And he has, by a good margin, the most pick 6s among active players.

And he’s pretty awesome.
A. What would those numbers be, exactly? ...and
B. So fucking what? ...and
C. How many times are you going to tell us?
:sunglasses:

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
A. What would those numbers be, exactly? ...and
B. So fucking what? ...and
C. How many times are you going to tell us?
:sunglasses:
Look em up yourself and get educated.

Or don’t and live on hot takes… I don’t give a fuck.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Right now the Bengals are seeing the Rams offense move up and down the field for all 3 playoff games on the back of that pass game. So I agree with the sentiment that the Bengals are gonna flood the secondary.

They also aren't good vs the run, which suggests shutting down our pass game is what they'll prioritize while hoping that Stafford puts up some interceptions. That's what I'd do and it will work if the Bengals offense can put points up early and often.

Nice thing for us is if McVay calls the game like he did vs SF with those early down runs that so many here hate, that will force their hand because I think our run game is gonna fire off in this one. I mean he's been very disciplined so far in the playoffs with mid-20s carries in each game. So it's unlikely we see him do like Reid did and forget to run the ball. In fact I think it's a focus for this one.
I want us to out-physical these finesse bastids!
* curtseys

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
Look em up yourself and get educated.

Or don’t and live on hot takes… I don’t give a fuck.
I know what they are, which is why I don’t gaf.
Forget hot takes - try a new one.

Cheers.

RamWoodie

Legend
I was worried about Stafford's play down the stretch where he had the 8 picks. I even started a thread on it. Since the Rams hit the playoffs he has been stellar! The good thing is he has a short memory...he won't be gun shy!!!

Stafford knows his time is running out...meaning opportunities are now fewer. I think it's for that reason he's gonna play well Sunday and bring it home!