McVay's 4th and 1 call

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
McVay has gotten some grief for some of his decisions on fourth downs this year.

So what did y'all think of his decision making and playcall on that crucial 4th-and-1 at our own 30 yard line, down 20-16 with 5 minutes left?

:startstruck:

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
McVay has gotten some grief for some of his decisions on fourth downs this year.

So what did y'all think of his decision making and playcall on that crucial 4th-and-1 at our own 30 yard line, down 20-16 with 5 minutes left?

:startstruck:
BALLSY

And.. put the ball in your best player's hands.. good philosophy.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I wanted him to be bold and also run the ball regardless of effectiveness until the final 5 min or so and McVay did both.... so I'm not ever going to criticize his coaching in this game.

His "youngest coach in the league" thing is over.... he still is, but compared to the guy who lost to Belichick in '18, he's a savvy vet who's been there, done that..

Spider2YB

Pro Bowler
I honestly thought he was gonna go back to the same look in the red zone but instead fake the jet sweep to Kupp and pitch it to Akers. He used to run that play with Gurley all the time. Fake the jet sweep around the right end, pitch it to the back for a sweep around the left end.

MachS

Hall of Fame
you-have-no-marbles-tanaka.gif

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Play of the game.

As soon as he handed it off to Kupp I was so relieved. 1st down all the way.

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
Great call! The running game was really struggling all night long. I was wondering why the Rams were not trying any jet sweeps. Or end-arounds. Or putting the ball in the WRs' hands. Just *something*, from time to time, to try and get any sort of momentum on the ground. Even any runs to the outside were almost completely absent, with the Rams seemingly intent to only run up the gut for the longest time. But then, when we needed it most, facing 4th and 1 with ,the season on the line, McVay found a way to manufacture the yardage. :sunglasses: Hats off.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Huge cajones given how much we had lost on the edge to that point in the game.

ProGen

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It was simply beautiful! That last drive was phenomenal!

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
BALLSY

And.. put the ball in your best player's hands.. good philosophy.

Yeah - ok? Z. Taylor’s first 4th down play call was ballsy. Sean Mcvay has done this his WHOLE career with The Rams. I’d say it was a must.There is no way your giving the ball back with a long field.
The play call was excellent,but Mcvay’s playcalling was disappointing to me most of the game.I still LOVE the roll out at times like Jared Goff use to do as a Ram QB all the time.
Stafford can actually run it better than Goff picks he gets more creative on his roll outs because of his arm angles & the way he can see down field. You saw that on Havenstien HOLDING CALL for a TD. Just glad Cooper Kupp was ok.
Hopkins made like a catch & Ben Sko made a catch. HENDO was in the backfield & I’m like play action play action. The Bengals defense was on there heals & they were loading up on the run. Stafford was in a good flow. HENDO is GREAT on that play action to the left & Stafford could roll out & throw it back to him.Whatever?
Take a pick it was 1st & 10 & Stafford was on FIRE!!! WTF???? Play action please!!! Pick up the pace The Rams offense was in a perfect flow The RUN & CAM AKERS was getting shut down. HENDO is better out of the backfield anyway. The offensive line was protect Stafford on regular downs.

What does Sean Mcvay do ? Gives the ball to HENDO for a 3 yard loss.Thanks Mcvay. Bye bye Kevin O’Connell. I’m ready for a new OC. Absolutely HATE The Rams first 15 play calls in ALL of 2021.
I just think The Rams offense can & will be that much better next season. I don’t know what the offensive line will look like as far as personal.Just that The Rams have a nice & promising young core of O’Lineman. Sony Michael is GONE!! For ALL the TRADE & BAD pick HENDO fans will see how electric he & Cam Akers will be together.I like Sony,but think highly of his talent & FA value.
I don’t know much,but I do appreciate The Rams youth. I saw J. Harris being a good teammate.Hopkins has continued to work his butt off.Blanton played big against the 9ers,but Hopkins is going to get the NOD over him.Johnny Mundt will be back healthy. Ben Sko is going to continue to work hard. This Young Group of 2021 draft class will shine over the next 3 seasons.
RR31,Harris.Funk(?),Sko,AJax’s,Briwn Bro’s,E.Jones & the unforgettable Tutu Atwell.The forever 2021 rookie SuperBowl Rams draft class?

Yes nice play call.Cooper Kupp had a HOF game & season. If your going to loss you want it in his hands,but please right after not calling a play action. Do not let Cooper Kupp pass the ball. To cute doesn’t work well.
I like rolling Stafford out & getting him in a flow. Then once he is in the flow take your shot downfield. Establish the run vs the pass. It works both ways. The playoff each other.
You have to be able to do one or the other,even if you change the pocket.I don’t understand why The Rams are handing the ball of so deep as well.Logan Wilson doesn’t need momentum to the ball. He will get there EVERY TIME.I don’t know if he played one year with the Bills(Collins) QB,but he is tough against the run.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I was waiting for a few more jet sweeps as that is one thing Jefferson actually runs will too, but he did not call it all game until it was needed and with a nice kick out block from Hopkins, Kupp who I don't like running the sweeps because of what happen to him in Denver a few years ago came through.

I was pleased with McVay on the last drive, as he changed things up and closed the game out with a TD. I was pleading to see more of Michel running because I like Sony between the tackles & Akers seemed ineffective, however, he stuck with Cam.

A great call at the right time and missing the extra point might have been a blessing because the Rams could not tie the game, they had to be aggressive and go win it and they did.

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
Yeah - ok? Z. Taylor’s first 4th down play call was ballsy. Sean Mcvay has done this his WHOLE career with The Rams. I’d say it was a must.There is no way your giving the ball back with a long field.
The play call was excellent,but Mcvay’s playcalling was disappointing to me most of the game.I still LOVE the roll out at times like Jared Goff use to do as a Ram QB all the time.
Stafford can actually run it better than Goff picks he gets more creative on his roll outs because of his arm angles & the way he can see down field. You saw that on Havenstien HOLDING CALL for a TD. Just glad Cooper Kupp was ok.
Hopkins made like a catch & Ben Sko made a catch. HENDO was in the backfield & I’m like play action play action. The Bengals defense was on there heals & they were loading up on the run. Stafford was in a good flow. HENDO is GREAT on that play action to the left & Stafford could roll out & throw it back to him.Whatever?
Take a pick it was 1st & 10 & Stafford was on FIRE!!! WTF???? Play action please!!! Pick up the pace The Rams offense was in a perfect flow The RUN & CAM AKERS was getting shut down. HENDO is better out of the backfield anyway. The offensive line was protect Stafford on regular downs.

What does Sean Mcvay do ? Gives the ball to HENDO for a 3 yard loss.Thanks Mcvay. Bye bye Kevin O’Connell. I’m ready for a new OC. Absolutely HATE The Rams first 15 play calls in ALL of 2021.
I just think The Rams offense can & will be that much better next season. I don’t know what the offensive line will look like as far as personal.Just that The Rams have a nice & promising young core of O’Lineman. Sony Michael is GONE!! For ALL the TRADE & BAD pick HENDO fans will see how electric he & Cam Akers will be together.I like Sony,but think highly of his talent & FA value.
I don’t know much,but I do appreciate The Rams youth. I saw J. Harris being a good teammate.Hopkins has continued to work his butt off.Blanton played big against the 9ers,but Hopkins is going to get the NOD over him.Johnny Mundt will be back healthy. Ben Sko is going to continue to work hard. This Young Group of 2021 draft class will shine over the next 3 seasons.
RR31,Harris.Funk(?),Sko,AJax’s,Briwn Bro’s,E.Jones & the unforgettable Tutu Atwell.The forever 2021 rookie SuperBowl Rams draft class?

Yes nice play call.Cooper Kupp had a HOF game & season. If your going to loss you want it in his hands,but please right after not calling a play action. Do not let Cooper Kupp pass the ball. To cute doesn’t work well.
I like rolling Stafford out & getting him in a flow. Then once he is in the flow take your shot downfield. Establish the run vs the pass. It works both ways. The playoff each other.
You have to be able to do one or the other,even if you change the pocket.I don’t understand why The Rams are handing the ball of so deep as well.Logan Wilson doesn’t need momentum to the ball. He will get there EVERY TIME.I don’t know if he played one year with the Bills(Collins) QB,but he is tough against the run.

Come on, pal. We won the Super Bowl. How bad could the coaching staff have been last night? We won the friggin' Super Bowl! I agree that McVay had a pretty meh game, with as many bad moves as good ones (and there were plenty of both). But why not leave it at that, rather than launch into a full blown rant against the guy after the Rams just won the Lombardi? Enjoy the win!

TXRams86

The Infamous

I get where you're coming from buddy, but like @OntarioRam said, we won the friggin' Super Bowl and came up big when it mattered. We were all frustrated with the play calling at times but as much as we complain, McVay's gotten this team to the ship TWICE in a 5 year period - that's insane. And he finally got one, despite his questionable play calling at times. Let's enjoy this one and we can complain about the play calling next season!