McVay was more upset after this game than...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
Higbee pass yeah could have been better. One deep pass to Watkins should have had more air under it. Deeps passes though Goff has to throw ball before Watkins makes his last break so they just need more reps together on those long passes. Also that one pass where it appears to have gone over the wrong shoulder well looking at it again Goff threw the ball between two defenders. Safe choice just too bad Watkins wasn't able to adjust.

I think this is what Sammy is having trouble with. Goff puts the ball away from defenders and where only the reciever can get it on his deep passes, not sure Sammy has ever played with a QB that could place the ball as accurately as Goff. The pass on the sideline during whiners game is a perfect example, Sammy looked over his inside shoulder first but Goff put it away from the safety coming over. This is what allows the recievers to get good YAC instead of getting blown up because the QB led them into a hit.

bomebadeeda

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bome
I've noticed on that little rollout to the right off the play fake. When Goff goes short to the tight end (or H-back) it's usually late, allowing the coverage to catch up. Rogers (Aaron) would throw it soon as he had an open lane upon turning, allowing the TE to get up field before the coverage arrives. But I do know Goff is looking for the 2nd or 3rd levels. It's just not instinctual yet

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
I’d like to know specifically which passes you thought were inaccurate this game? I saw a couple deep passes (Watkins and Higbee), but other than that?
He had a couple ducks that were medium-range passes but I don't know who he was throwing them to.
They were THAT off.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
" And if the Bear hadn't crap in the woods, it wouldn't have attracted Fly's!" We did get the Special Teams Scores! And the Rams are 4-2!!(y):yay::yess: And we will be 5-2 going into the Bye Week!!:mrburnsevil:
Yep.
My point is that we can't count on them.

Special team scores are like sex with your wife.
Nice when it happens but you can't count on it.

cvramsfan

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Man you guys are really nitpicking aren't you?

Got to give em some time. As a fan based we are not used to winning football and what that looks like. Like i want to nitpick the flag on Quinn, you dont want him to throw him to the ground, then blow the whistle.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
Got to give em some time. As a fan based we are not used to winning football and what that looks like. Like i want to nitpick the flag on Quinn, you dont want him to throw him to the ground, then blow the whistle.

Actually go watch the play again, the tackle was perfect form tackle, you wrap up and twist to secure the tackle. He didn't thrown him to the ground. Go watch the condensed game you'll see what i mean.

cvramsfan

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Actually go watch the play again, the tackle was perfect form tackle, you wrap up and twist to secure the tackle. He didn't thrown him to the ground. Go watch the condensed game you'll see what i mean.

I agree it was a BS flag. My point is blow the whistle and if I take him to the ground after that then fine throw the flag. No whistle no flag. Easy as that.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I'm sure McVay is concerned about the sudden drop off in offensive TD's the last 2 weeks. Then again, Seattle and Jax are top 10 D's right now as it stands in terms of points allowed. Both games were nice tune ups for Arizona next week who are clearly declining but still talented nonetheless.

I'd like to see Goff deliver a few more plays across the middle and down the seams. Our passing game was really stressing teams early on by doing that. Strong Seattle and Jax secondaries could have thwarted that i suppose.

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Speaking of which (saw the game but no sound), how was Schlereth?

Stink actually complimented the Rams as being very talented and mentioned the number of first round picks starting on the roster. He was even handed about complimenting and criticizing each team based on their execution, play design, and technique. I thought he added a dimension on analysis that is missing on other broadcasts

Rams43

Hall of Fame
I’m kinda glad to hear that McVay was so displeased with his O.

It scored 7 of the team’s 27 points. That’s beyond unacceptable.

With these players and this HC calling the plays that’s just embarrassing.

If he’s upset, then that’s a good thing. That tells me that he will get it fixed.

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
looks like a young team...young OC....defense looks like a veteran team....ST, with a huge personnel turnover, is improving as well..bet we draft a REAL punt returner next season.....in the 6th or 7th round I hope.

I read that as punter! Spit my drink all over the place

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
I think this is what Sammy is having trouble with. Goff puts the ball away from defenders and where only the reciever can get it on his deep passes, not sure Sammy has ever played with a QB that could place the ball as accurately as Goff. The pass on the sideline during whiners game is a perfect example, Sammy looked over his inside shoulder first but Goff put it away from the safety coming over. This is what allows the recievers to get good YAC instead of getting blown up because the QB led them into a hit.

Some of Sammy's best deep catches in Buffalo involve Taylor running around like a maniac before launching a deep ball.

I think Sammy and Goff are just still working on that chemistry.

I mean look at Goff and Woods. There were multiple reports about them spending extra time together in the offseason.

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
I’m kinda glad to hear that McVay was so displeased with his O.

It scored 7 of the team’s 27 points. That’s beyond unacceptable.

With these players and this HC calling the plays that’s just embarrassing.

If he’s upset, then that’s a good thing. That tells me that he will get it fixed.

I'm not disagreeing about the offense needing to improve. However didn't they account for 13?

wmc540

Pro Bowler
McVay needs to go back to sitting on a Gatorade cooler drawing up plays.

SteveBrown

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
I don't know, I think Goff's accuracy has been spotty at best this season, good at the beginning of the year but perhaps has regressed some since the beginning of the year. He's still performing better than my wildest imagination though, even with that!
I think he doesn't look so comfortable....not nervous, but not finding where to go....only opinion, I am not sure.

SteveBrown

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
Really? I kinda like that....

I actually...from the first half...thought McVay was putting a holster on Jared....kinda reigning him in a lil....I mean...I watched a lil of that Seahawk game for the 2nd time...Goff was all over the place with his passes. This game, he refused to let him put the team in position to lose...lots of safe stuff..which is kinda disheartening...I like when we sling it around...only way to get better faster.

I agree....I think that once we went up at half time, McVay was just going to ride this one out. We stopped Fournette, and Bortles isn't going to beat anybody...I HOPE that is why the offense looked so bad and 'tight' and in the 'let us not lose this one'....

Also, I wondered if McVay was 'saving' Gurley for this game (limited him on purpose vs Seattle)....he gave a lot of carries to Tavon against Seattle, and then didn't have Gurley do that much, either....I think that was a plan, maybe. Look how tired Gurley was against the Jags---now think how tired he woulkd have been if he had 10-12 more carries against Seattle....just saying.....