McVay talks centers on roster in pre-draft conference call

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Until you do. Somebody is going to have to take over the Starting Center spot.I just wonder who is cross training at Center from guard.Looks like Corbett. Noteboom for some reason makes me think he could be a starter. I just know The 2021 Bug 5 are training together at Whitworth’s house.That’s Unity & The Group speaking out.There is a lot of depth,but competition is just that.
Anchrum & Brewer were a 7th rd & a UDRFA. Both have done Jack Crap & could just be practice squad guys. J.Demby just continues to get better going into his 4th year.Brian Allen was still a 3rd rd draft pick & starter in 2019.
Quality. I'd rather get a guy with talent in the draft than the constant low round/udfa dumpster diving that seems to be the norm for this position. Let a veteran start and let the high value rookie learn behind him and quit effing with it. I don't care if it means the kid sits for year, just fix the damn thing, Snead!

Noteboom at Center? I remember him getting killed at Guard, so why do you think he can be a good Center?

Last edited:

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Imo this is meaningful. McVay wouldn't have said "guards" if they weren't in play, and more than one of them.

Clearly Corbett is in the mix. Could still be Anchrum too. Not sure what other guards he could be referencing.

Suggests to me that camp competition could be very interesting at center, even if we draft one.
I think what we're looking at is McVay doesn't want to tip his hand for the draft.
Probably hoping that Menierez will still be there for one of those third or fourth round picks.
And like you mentioned, when there's competition for a spot open, you want to see competition for that spot.

And I think the game-day active backup spot is definitely wide open and I also hope that Anchrum wins that.

A prototype size guy with good enough footwork and speed to play Right Tackle for an NCAA Championship team sounds pretty good to me.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Face it, we're not going to know the rams starting center til after the 3rd pre-season game.

WestCoastRam

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Face it, we're not going to know the rams starting center til after the 3rd pre-season game.

Exactly, it's not that fun to take Snead and McVay at face value but they have shown time and time again that they don't engage in "coach speak" or obfuscation. BTW, transparency is a valid negotiating strategy and can in some cases land greater returns than secrecy!

Allen and Coleman will get a chance to compete, possibly some of the guards. If we get a pick in the draft, they'll probably get a chance to compete too. No one's guaranteed the spot. It'll be a competition.

The only thing that seems likely is that they want to trade down from 57 but if a guy they love is there, they'll take him if they aren't blown away by compensation to trade down.

But g-- forbid we listen to these guys and what they say when time and time again they do exactly that. Wouldn't be that fun on the board if we did.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Quality. I'd rather get a guy with talent in the draft than the constant low round/udfa dumpster diving that seems to be the norm for this position. Let a veteran start and let the high value rookie learn behind him and quit effing with it. I don't care if it means the kid sits for year, just fix the damn thing, Snead!

Noteboom at Center? I remember him getting killed at Guard, so why do you think he can be a good Center?

Corbett starts at Center & Noteboom at LT ? Will see what 2021 brings.No matter what Noteboom can play LT or LG.He is a better LT than a guard.Whitworth talked about playing Guard with Trent Williams,but he made mention of Noteboom being a better LT than guard.
I don’t see what there really is to fix? Brian Allen screwed the whole thing up Imo.There is a chance a top Center falls & Dalhman could be had? Carberry is the New OLine coach so who the heck knows ?
We’ll all know more come Sunday.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
More smoke and mirrors... make me think they'll take a center if "their guy" is there at 57.

I don't think so at all. Other positions are on the table if there are good players available. Center doesn't sound like a high priority position. We'll see who's right in a couple days.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon

Rams don’t feel they have to draft a center​

Posted by Josh Alper on April 29, 2021, 6:46 AM EDT

The Rams lost a starting offensive lineman this offseason when center Austin Blythe signed with the Chiefs as a free agent and that led many to put the position on a list of needs for the team in the draft.

With no first round pick at their disposal, the Rams won’t get a chance to pick until No. 57 unless they make a trade. When they do get on the board, head coach Sean McVay and General Manager Les Snead say they don’t think it is a must to address the spot.

McVay named Brian Allen and Coleman Shelton as options along with starting guard Austin Corbett having “position flex” that allows the Rams to avoid being forced into a pick.

“I think it’s not something that you feel like you have to fill because we’ve got a lot of guys in house that we feel like are more than capable of being starting-caliber NFL centers,” McVay said at a Tuesday press conference. “And so, if it’s something dependent upon how everything falls, it might be something that you address. But I think the one thing that’s been really good and Les and I’ve talked about this, and it’s a real credit to Les and his group, and really everybody in its entirety, is that we don’t have any major glaring holes where it’s like, ‘OK, you’ve got to address this position or else.’ We’re not really asking anybody to feel like they have to come in and immediately start.”

Whatever route the Rams take in the draft, finding the right piece for the middle of the line will be a significant part of making sure Matthew Stafford is well protected this fall.

dang

Legend
They don’t have to draft a center but if the use an OG on the roster to fill OC, they need to pick up a stud OG or OT and beef up their top 5 OL They do not have 5 stud OL starters on the roster IMO.

Ram Ts

Hall of Fame
They don’t have to draft a center but if the use an OG on the roster to fill OC, they need to pick up a stud OG or OT and beef up their top 5 OL They do not have 5 stud OL starters on the roster IMO.
Which is exactly what I think may happen. If the right OC is available, they will take him and not move Corbett. But if the right OC is gone, they will go with a OG - and let Corbett fight with others for the OC spot. Either way, one of our top 2 picks will be an iOL.

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
We'll see who's right in a couple days.
I'm not sure there is a right or wrong answer, Angry. We will never know anyway. If "their guy" is not there, they might not draft a center, even if they were hoping for it. But the smoke and mirrors is to let all the other teams know that the Rams are not DESPERATE to draft a center. Nothing else. Did not mean to make you angrier -lol.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
I'm not sure there is a right or wrong answer, Angry. We will never know anyway. If "their guy" is not there, they might not draft a center, even if they were hoping for it. But the smoke and mirrors is to let all the other teams know that the Rams are not DESPERATE to draft a center. Nothing else. Did not mean to make you angrier -lol.

There isn't. Most ppl think they have to and will get a center high. I don't. If I'm wrong so be it, but if they don't take a center there the reactions will be crazy.