McVay: Take some notes

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Come on man. The falcons were well inside fg range with an 8 point lead. All they needed to do was run the ball three times, make the cheats use up their timeouts and kick the fg to seal the win. But no, ratboy had to call a long developing pass play on 2nd down leading to Ryan getting sacked, losing the ball and recovering well outside fg range.

It's an indictment on the hc more than ratboy actually. He should have taken charge at that time and ordered ratboy to run the ball.

Don't forget the token conveniently timed offensive holding call on the Falcons too on that drive in favor of the Patriots. Where have we seen that before??

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Some notes on all this hoopla surrounding Shanny NOT running the ball last night...

1. Defenses get paid too. Nobody is talking about the fact that the Chiefs actually made some plays defensively that affected Shanny's approach and adjustments not to mention the outcome. It wasn't all Shanny and his mistakes. It's not a given that had they run the ball every play they would have sustained drives and scored TDs.

2. Play calls need to be executed. One guy here one guy there not doing his job can blow it up. This is why football is the ultimate team game. One guy not executing can be the difference between Shanny the genius and Shanny the idiot. Players actually matter, I know it's a hard concept for angry fans but it's the truth.

3. His greatest mistakes in that game had nothing to do with the decision to run the ball or not run the ball. He really called a terrible game from the head coach perspective moreso than play calling.

4. Where was the 9ers defense? Everyone thinks it's so amazing, you'd think reading some Rams boards they had the '85 Bears defense. But they got beat, worked over, and how in the F does that get overlooked again after the same BS happened with Atlanta?

I fuckin hate Shanny Jr. I want to drive my fist into his fuckin entitled face. But I think it's ridiculous how the postgame storylines ignore so much of what constitutes a loss.

That's all well and good, but the Niners would have gotten first downs had they just run/run/run the ball. Chiefs didn't stop a single 2nd down run all night - so him going away from it was very confusing. For most teams, running on 2nd and long isn't wise - but this is not so for the Niners.

Their defense played amazing. For Mahomes that was probably the best performance I've ever seen from a QB - most people keep talking about how poorly he played through three quarters - that was because of the Niners unbelievable pass rush. If you replace Mahomes with any other QB in that game, the Niners blow them out. Badly.

Obviously the Chiefs scored the two TDs late (and the third was garbage), but Mahomes/Kelce/Hill/Watkins/Williams is possibly the most talented offense we've ever seen - no defense is going to hold them down forever.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Don't forget the token conveniently timed offensive holding call on the Falcons too on that drive in favor of the Patriots. Where have we seen that before??
I do think "Holding" is the best call for a crooked ref to use to sway the end result. If you were so inclined to influence a game as a ref you can just break out a holding call to nullify a big or game changing play given the dynamics of OL play and blocking in general (where you could pretty much call a hold if you were so inclined somewhere on any given play).

This is why every time I see that type of call used to nullify something in a big game--like Gurley's run in our Super Bowl--I look to see if it's an obvious hold. And if not it's pretty clear whoever called it wanted a certain result.

Kevin

Pro Bowler
I do think "Holding" is the best call for a crooked ref to use to sway the end result. If you were so inclined to influence a game as a ref you can just break out a holding call to nullify a big or game changing play given the dynamics of OL play and blocking in general (where you could pretty much call a hold if you were so inclined somewhere on any given play).

This is why every time I see that type of call used to nullify something in a big game--like Gurley's run in our Super Bowl--I look to see if it's an obvious hold. And if not it's pretty clear whoever called it wanted a certain result.
What percentage of NFL referees are crooked, do you think? And how much do they get paid under the table for making calls like you described, do you think?

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
What percentage of NFL referees are crooked, do you think? And how much do they get paid under the table for making calls like you described, do you think?
I have no idea Kevin. Not a conspiracy theorist but any time I see a big momentum swing stopped by a penalty I immediately look to ensure it's an obvious type deal. And too often you see iffy calls in those situations which is BS.

I think that's one of the biggest deals for the refs in the playoffs. Ensuring their calls are appropriate on those game changing plays.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
1. Garapolo missed a wide open Sanders. Good play call. Bad

2. The Rams were 7th in total offense this year with a busted Oline.

I just hope that McVays desire for more strategic game planning comes to fruition. He tried the: “Here’s our best, beat it!” thing and it didn’t work for good defenses.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

It’s not necessarily the refs. They could be instructed by the league. So the refs may not be dirty. They are just doing what they are told to.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I love how it is all unravelling after one season for their fan base.
My son said all the KC fans he met before the game yesterday were great but the Niners fans were arseholes. He’s now starting to understand my hatred of that organisation.

that seems to happen toany fan base that is old enough to remember its teams last run of dominance.

It’s a crazy concept that fans think past success should have a bearing on the current season and gives them a sense of obnoxious entitlement, but fanatics often aren’t rational. T

Tano

Legend
I have always felt that refs subconsciously do calls at critical moments that affect certain teams.

They don't even realize they are doing it.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Goff was getting their pass rush all game and still scored 31 points on them.

Lol no, he was not. Goff was barely touched in that game. He was hit twice in 50 drop backs - it was one of the best games our OL played all year.

Mahomes was hit 8 times and sacked 4 times on 51 drop backs - and it sure felt like he was hit more than just 8 times.

Tano

Legend
Lol no, he was not. Goff was barely touched in that game. He was hit twice in 50 drop backs - it was one of the best games our OL played all year.

Mahomes was hit 8 times and sacked 4 times on 51 drop backs - and it sure felt like he was hit more than just 8 times.
I am going to have to re-watch that game because I recall Goff being pressured quite a bit in that game and still making excellent throws other than that really stupid ass pick. Of course, a lot of throws were designed roll outs that gave Goff a bit more time to find an open receiver. It was one of McVay's better called games this year.

I am also getting old and my memory isn't quite the same anymore

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I am going to have to re-watch that game because I recall Goff being pressured quite a bit in that game and still making excellent throws other than that really stupid ass pick. Of course, a lot of throws were designed roll outs that gave Goff a bit more time to find an open receiver. It was one of McVay's better called games this year.

I am also getting old and my memory isn't quite the same anymore
Goff was not himself but I feel like over the course of 16 games he had us in games in the face of a bad run game and sometimes poor defense more than he was the cause of losing them.

Mark my words... He's going to grow a LOT from his experience in 2019.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
In the super bowl.
If there was ever evidence that he doesn’t trust Crapolo that was it.
A great FG kicker with good range.
He took the ball out of his QBs most of the playoffs. He does not trust him to stand in the pocket and deliver.

Except he didn't take the ball out of his hands.

The sequence went run/run/pass/pass and both passes were complete for big gains though the PI there was a dumb move by Kittle.

But the real mistake was not calling a TO as soon as his defense stopped the Chefs on 3rd down. There was 1:50 plus seconds on the clock and the ball was snapped with 1:08 on the clock.

Then he ran on first down and didn't call a TO and the clock ran down from :59 to :27.

So in 1:17 he ran off two plays. In the SB with as you note a kicker with good range.

So the OPI and KS's lousy clock management killed that drive. If he would have saved some clock he could have had a shot at getting in range. They were at their own 45 when the deep route to Kittle was called, but the clock was at :20 when the ball was snapped prior to that play and was at :16 when it was over. Had he used his timeouts better thy could have been on the 45 yard line with over a minute to go.

That leaves a lot more of the playbook open.

Either way it was tied and the half and the 49ers were running the ball really, really well and he came off of that which was a mistake. The Chefs started coming hard once they saw that he was going passpasspass.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Obviously the Chiefs scored the two TDs late (and the third was garbage), but Mahomes/Kelce/Hill/Watkins/Williams is possibly the most talented offense we've ever seen - no defense is going to hold them down forever.

*coughGSoTcough*

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
*coughGSoTcough*

That's why I said "possibly". But all things considered, for as much as I dislike Hill on a personal level, in terms of talent he's right there with Ike and Torry, if not better. For me personally, Mahomes is better than Warner. Adding TE to the weapons evens it out, although obviously Faulk is the ultimate x factor and probably puts the Rams over the top there - but with Mahomes and Kelce, I think it's close.

iamme33

Pro Bowler
Name
dan
yeah when we are losing I start to think this shit is rigged but then I have to tell myself if it was a wide spread conspiracy someone would have spilled the beans by now.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
That's why I said "possibly". But all things considered, for as much as I dislike Hill on a personal level, in terms of talent he's right there with Ike and Torry, if not better. For me personally, Mahomes is better than Warner. Adding TE to the weapons evens it out, although obviously Faulk is the ultimate x factor and probably puts the Rams over the top there - but with Mahomes and Kelce, I think it's close.

We're talking about Hall of Fame players. Hill doesn't approach that. Kelce is great, but the other wideouts of the Chiefs couldn't hold a candle to Bruce and Holt. Saying that Mahomes - while he's on a good pace - is better than Warner is not accurate. And the Chiefs don't have anyone who compares to Marshall.

And that's not even talking about the offensive lines of the teams.