McVay Show's Progress and Other Thoughts

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamsFanCK

HAIL ME
That one hurt, like a swift kick in the nuts (or beaver, don't want to be sexist in my metaphors). But there are some take aways that certainly give me hope for the 2019 season.

1. McVay showed progress!!

Yes thats right my dudes and dudets! Holy cow....we saw a 3 TE personnel set! WOW. Did McVay find smelling salts or something. The beauty of using HigBeast and Mt. Everett so much in the passing game was that the LB's looked nervous, Gurley had space, and Goff suddenly had some time! Whoa.. Yin to the 6-1 yang anyone?

That being said. I personally would rather see Kupp and Woods in during 12 personnel sets. What say you?

2. Hurry Up O is TD O

Our hurry up has been so effective in the last two weeks. If I see it, McVay sees it. Gotta get into this more often. Let the O play by instinct.

3.Who in the FUQ is teaching the CB's to tackle.

Talib and Peters look like the biggest pansies on the field 99% of the time. Like...make a tackle when it's your damn job boys. This is driving me absolutely up the wall.

4. Our Horns are Resilient AF

Down 21-0 last week, and the fight they put up this week. This O may be frustrating but boy do they have GRIT!!!

5.FAWK Wilson is so damn good (You know I'll never admit that in Portland)

I swear there were at least 6 would be sacks he escaped from. Threw dimes all night. He made the kinda of plays that you can't defend. Sometimes the other team makes plays. This was a straight up dog fight. Both teams landed punches all night.

6. On the 2nd to Last Possession

Goff did everything he could. Drop by Kupp. Beautiful pocket movement to avoid the rush and a less than stellar read, missing Higbee and throwing to Woods. Lastly a drop by Everett for an INT. What more can we really ask of the dude in those 3 plays in this game....(to see Higbee...sheeesh, give the guy a break lol)

7. High Stakes vs. Low Stakes

I know, I know...there's no such thing as a low stakes game. But this is the first game I really got pumped up for in pre game this year. Maybe the team is feeling the same. After so many high stake games they are coming out flat and can't get "up" for those low stakes games (Read another way, can't get up to play the teams they "should" beat) Just a theory...

8.This season is far from over!

So what we've lost two games. So what there are concerns. We just came into a division rivals house, the previous king (Or Queen...whatever) in the west I might add, and played them right down to the wire in a game that could swing the division in that direction for a season. It was the Hags version of a super bowl. We did loose to them at home in 2017 and blow them out in seattle later in that season right? Could happen the opposite this year.

Last edited:

Ellard80

Legend
McVay's forte is scoring points.. and we have scored 70 pts the last two games.

It's like Wade Phillips cast magic juju magic on the posters here to make them ignore the fact that we have given up 85 pts in two games.. but somehow its the offense fault...

RamsFanCK

HAIL ME
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
McVay's forte is scoring points.. and we have scored 70 pts the last two games.

It's like Wade Phillips cast magic juju magic on the posters here to make them ignore the fact that we have given up 85 pts in two games.. but somehow its the offense fault...

In all fairness the stat's kinda read that way up until last week didn't they. The D didn't give up a 20+ yard pass the first 3 weeks. IDK what the hell happened on that side of the ball. I understand offense way better than I do defense.

If you, or anyone, can enlighten me I would appreciate it

Ellard80

Legend
In all fairness the stat's kinda read that way up until last week didn't they. The D didn't give up a 20+ yard pass the first 3 weeks. IDK what the hell happened on that side of the ball. I understand offense way better than I do defense.

If you, or anyone, can enlighten me I would appreciate it

Yeah don't know... Russell Wilson is tough... but Making Winston look like Peyton Manning is another thing.

RamsFanCK

HAIL ME
Yeah don't know... Russell Wilson is tough... but Making Winston look like Peyton Manning is another thing.

Yeah, sunday was not a funday. It was like finding out your girl looks fugly without make up for the first time...unsettling.

Last edited:

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Wade has to get it figured out. The defense isn't cutting it. I'll say this, I think we're a better team in 11 personnel than anything else. Kupp + Cooks + Woods + Everett + Gurley is a nightmare for other teams to guard. If Everett continues to play like he has the past two games, our passing attack is going to blow up. IMO, the counter-punch we needed to teams using the 6-1 or attacking the A-Gaps is Gerald Everett. If they can't cover him one on one, they can't stack the LOS.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I was happy to see Everett get involved. McVay finally is caving in on the idea that his scheme, as is, can beat any defense. Tight Ends were the staple of his offense in Washington. He drafted Everett before anyone else but uses him sparingly, then resigns Higbee, but still didn't use them to beat the 6-1 alignment. This is real progress.

The interior Olinemen played better than they've been. Maybe there is still hope for them to keep improving.

2 losses? 14 - 2 is a playoff making record. So is 12-4.

RamsFanCK

HAIL ME
Wade has to get it figured out. The defense isn't cutting it. I'll say this, I think we're a better team in 11 personnel than anything else. Kupp + Cooks + Woods + Everett + Gurley is a nightmare for other teams to guard. If Everett continues to play like he has the past two games, our passing attack is going to blow up. IMO, the counter-punch we needed to teams using the 6-1 or attacking the A-Gaps is Gerald Everett. If they can't cover him one on one, they can't stack the LOS.

I agree 100%. What ever happened to the week 1-3 defense. The last two weeks we've given up 85 points! I don't really understand what happened in the secondary. Peter's is suddenly getting burned again and there are huge holes in the zone. I really need to read or watch films on D because idk wtf is going on there.

You think Everett can be a reliable blocker to create space in 11 personnel for TG? Our running game took OFF in 12! ( I'm honestly curious of your thoughts here, teach me something)

MachS

Hall of Fame
IMO, the counter-punch we needed to teams using the 6-1 or attacking the A-Gaps is Gerald Everett. If they can't cover him one on one, they can't stack the LOS.

This right here. Not a coincidence the last two games Everett's touches have increased and we've scored more. Hes a matchup nightmare and against the 6-1 hes too fast and physical to press.

I think this is a big change we needed for the pass game, along with calling 12 personnel runs straight up the gut or off tackle tonight. Cant run horizontal outside zone plays against that front. Kupp and Everett should continue to carve up their 1-on-1 matchups in the middle of the field if we keep seeing 6 defenders at the LOS.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
On defense, Talib doesn't seem like his usual self. I can't believe veterans like Weddle and Talib think it's better to stop Wilson from making a first down, rather than to let a receiver run free down the field, when they have to be aware of Wilson's ability to throw on the run.

Tackling was bad. Carson is a real bruiser and where the hawks OLine lacks in pass blocking they make up for with tough runs. They will move the ball on th ground.

The trouble with the defense besides poor tackling is lack of speed. That is a negative result when signing guys like Matthews, Weddle and Talib.

Greg Gaines is a better run stuffer than Sebastian Joseph-Day. He should be the starter. The refs blew a few calls tonight. Mainly a few holds on Wilson's scrambles. That didn't help the defense at all.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I agree 100%. What ever happened to the week 1-3 defense. The last two weeks we've given up 85 points! I don't really understand what happened in the secondary. Peter's is suddenly getting burned again and there are huge holes in the zone. I really need to read or watch films on D because idk wtf is going on there.

You think Everett can be a reliable blocker to create space in 11 personnel for TG? Our running game took OFF in 12! ( I'm honestly curious of your thoughts here, teach me something)

Everett was getting the job done today as a blocker. I think Higbee is the far superior blocker in the passing game, but Everett has become a quality run blocker. He was washing defenders out.

RamsFanCK

HAIL ME
Everett was getting the job done today as a blocker. I think Higbee is the far superior blocker in the passing game, but Everett has become a quality run blocker. He was washing defenders out.

I am excited to hear that. Everett is on of my favorites. Higbee was making some plays in 12 too though. If we lined up Woods and Kupp outside I think we create a huge advantage. Cooks is good, don't get me wrong, but if I had to rank our receivers it would go Kupp, Woods, Cook. I value rac a lot. I would love to see 12 with that wrinkle a bit.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
In all fairness the stat's kinda read that way up until last week didn't they. The D didn't give up a 20+ yard pass the first 3 weeks. IDK what the hell happened on that side of the ball.
It's hard to say when you can't see the secondary too well without the coach tape, but I think they're doing some of what they did last Sunday (bad zone execution). You could tell by the way Wilson would see everyone covered then always have room to run (which was because the DBs were in man and yes risky vs him). When they zoned it up the Seahawks feasted I think.

RamsFanCK

HAIL ME
It's hard to say when you can't see the secondary too well without the coach tape, but I think they're doing some of what they did last Sunday (bad zone execution). You could tell by the way Wilson would see everyone covered then always have room to run (which was because the DBs were in man and yes risky vs him). When they zoned it up the Seahawks feasted I think.

I'd agree with that. It's unsettling if you consider that those times when Wilson wasn't "feasting" and decided to run/scramble, the secondary still got ate up. Wilson was on another level tonight though.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'd agree with that. It's unsettling if you consider that those times when Wilson wasn't "feasting" and decided to run/scramble, the secondary still got ate up. Wilson was on another level tonight though.
Yeah I think the way to play Wilson, the only real way to keep him down, is to collapse the pocket in a controlled type of fashion and try to make him throw from it. Rams used to be great at that under Fisher. This group gave him outlet after outlet to extend plays, and yes some of the play extensions were all him he's a great player.

Vs Tampa they screwed up their zones and also failed to get pressure. I actually liked tonight's pressure they just gotta slow the rush a bit vs the running QBs and keep lane control.

RamsFanCK

HAIL ME
Yeah I think the way to play Wilson, the only real way to keep him down, is to collapse the pocket in a controlled type of fashion and try to make him throw from it. Rams used to be great at that under Fisher. This group gave him outlet after outlet to extend plays, and yes some of the play extensions were all him he's a great player.

Vs Tampa they screwed up their zones and also failed to get pressure. I actually liked tonight's pressure they just gotta slow the rush a bit vs the running QBs and keep lane control.

Is that a Fowler/Matthews thing? In the GDT I was saying something along the lines that if those two kept Wilson on the spot AD would clean him up.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Is that a Fowler/Matthews thing? In the GDT I was saying something along the lines that if those two kept Wilson on the spot AD would clean him up.
I think it's a whole DL thing. Rams used to crush that pocket with 4 rushers and make him throw from it. This defensive front isn't as good at that. But they need to practice it IMO when you have another game with Seattle, 2 with Arizona just in division with off sched mobile QBs. I think that's what the 2-5 is supposed to counter btw on the passing downs but it needs work.

RamsFanCK

HAIL ME
I think it's a whole DL thing. Rams used to crush that pocket with 4 rushers and make him throw from it. This defensive front isn't as good at that. But they need to practice it IMO when you have another game with Seattle, 2 with Arizona just in division with off sched mobile QBs. I think that's what the 2-5 is supposed to counter btw on the passing downs but it needs work.

You think that running football helmet in AZ is gonna bother our DL...HA (is that too much homerism after a loss?)

When you say it's a whole DL thing, are you saying they haven't gel'd as a unit yet? That the new pieces haven't learned their appropriate responsibilities yet and are just playing off of instinct? The edge rushers got way to far up field in this one if you ask me. They gave Wilson places to go when they got near him.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You think that running football helmet in AZ is gonna bother our DL...HA (is that too much homerism after a loss?)

When you say it's a whole DL thing, are you saying they haven't gel'd as a unit yet? That the new pieces haven't learned their appropriate responsibilities yet and are just playing off of instinct? The edge rushers got way to far up field in this one if you ask me. They gave Wilson places to go when they got near him.
No I think it's a focus/coaching thing. Different front, different defense, different DC and so on.

I actually think we match up well with Seattle though because of our safeties. Next time we see these guys we should have Rapp back (he's a difference maker) and he'll be a lot better come week 14. Even if they have to put a shadow on Wilson with one of those guys Wade will be ready to go.