McVay Press Conference 2/25 Noon

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This was a real good listen and worth the 50 minutes out of my morning.
A couple of thoughts
1) Damn I'm happy this guy is our HC
2) There was a certain twinkle in his eye when Jourdain asked questions, very humanizing moment, she may be able to pry more info out of him than others
3) With his coaching tree expanding by the minute, it is abundantly clear that he is a good evaluator and what he sees as important aspects is what ultimately makes his coaches successful.
4) Really pumped to see Thomas Brown ascend, (dude looks like he can still play) and if he doesnt get poached first, he will be the next OC of this team
5) I've totally come to grips with the "why" of the Goff decision. Folks can manipulate whats said to fit narratives on both sides, but I think ultimately it's pretty clear what happened. McVay came to the Rams knowing that the only way to eat an elephant, is one bite at a time. He couldnt come in and change the whole roster, he didnt know who fit, and who didnt. He was wet behind the ears and was happy to work with what he had, change what was needed most and take bites at a time. At this point, he's almost eaten the whole thing and the last thing he needed to change, maybe the thing he put off as long as possible, is the QB. And only because he was able to get Stafford, did this thing come together.
McVay is all about 100%, and he'll continue to strive for it. So Goff may have been 90%, which was good enough for so long, and when he saw a guy with that 100% ceiling, it was go time

This is a fantastic perspective, and I hadn't thought about it like this. Great post.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That's the 4 hour talk they had, I imagine? The one where they exited with "philosophical differences"???

I've thought all along that the main reason he was traded was something we didn't know - i.e. the "philosophical differences".

More often than not in life it's not about the adversity, it's how you respond to it.

I don't think it was the turnovers or his play, I think it was these philosophical differences, of which well never know, combined with the turnovers.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
I've thought all along that the main reason he was traded was something we didn't know - i.e. the "philosophical differences".
Like many on here, I’m curious to know what these “philosophical differences” are. IMHO the phrase “philosophical differences” is a euphemism for “we shouted some blunt and honest and nasty shit at each other.”

All speculation on my part, but....

I wouldn’t be surprised if they had a few drinks (over the course of four hours!) and this encouraged some BLUNT conversation. Michael Silver offered some of the most “insider” reporting on this, and said, “stylistically and professionally, they got crossed up.”

IMHO I wouldn’t be surprised if a couple things like this were said:

McVay: What the fuck is wrong with you on this play? We went over this a thousand fucking times, if at the snap you see the free safety creep up for the blitz, the hot route is to the RB in the flat. What the hell is wrong with you?

Goff: If you are going to expect absolute perfection on every snap and every read, you’re gonna make it so that I’m second guessing myself. This constant harping on every mistake is making it worse, not better.

I re-watched that Silver video... Silver said something like, “Goff knows that McVay is an exacting coach... and when the coach feels the QB isn’t seeing what he should be seeing... the coach will express that frustration, and that can result in the QB losing some confidence.” (I’m paraphrasing Silver’s comments, you can re-watch for yourself in the link below).

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
When I was in Nuclear Field ET A school, the idea was that our education was harsh because the conditions would be exact. We'd eventually graduate to go from ET to RO... Reactor Operator as our MOS and as the man on the board have immense responsibility.

I'm familiar with being under people we are unrelentingly exacting.

Some people take to it, some don't.

Doesn't make Goff a bad person, but some folks just cannot wrap their head around that level of nearly autistic focus. It makes them doubt themselves and they feel undermined.

I've only just come to realize at 52 that I'm on the Autism Spectrum and have ADD-I or ADHD-inactivity and I understand McVay very well.

I get that focus because I possess it myself. When I'm interested, I HAVE to know everything and when something throws me for a curve, I will obsess about it until I've figured something out.

It was interesting when I started BJJ and as a white belt I was stumbling into some really advanced techniques just by trying to figure out escapes, sweeps and transitions. It's how my brain works.

Don't take that as a brag of any kind. Repetitive shit just wrecks me as does any kind of schedule (more now, less then) so I always struggled with the "just show up and do" type stuff that is so easy for most people.

I think this will be a win-win as Goff will get coaching better suited to him and Stafford will get the in depth offensive minded coach he's been seeking. I mean when he had it, he went 11-5 under Caldwell, iirc, and I'd take McVay over Caldwell every day of the week and 100 times on Game Day.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
When I was in Nuclear Field ET A school, the idea was that our education was harsh because the conditions would be exact. We'd eventually graduate to go from ET to RO... Reactor Operator as our MOS and as the man on the board have immense responsibility.

Doesn't make Goff a bad person, but some folks just cannot wrap their head around that level of nearly autistic focus. It makes them doubt themselves and they feel undermined.

I've only just come to realize at 52 that I'm on the Autism Spectrum and have ADD-I or ADHD-inactivity and I understand McVay very well.

I get that focus because I possess it myself. When I'm interested, I HAVE to know everything and when something throws me for a curve, I will obsess about it until I've figured something out.

It was interesting when I started BJJ and as a white belt I was stumbling into some really advanced techniques just by trying to figure out escapes, sweeps and transitions. It's how my brain works.

Don't take that as a brag of any kind. Repetitive shit just wrecks me as does any kind of schedule (more now, less then) so I always struggled with the "just show up and do" type stuff that is so easy for most people.

I think this will be a win-win as Goff will get coaching better suited to him and Stafford will get the in depth offensive minded coach he's been seeking. I mean when he had it, he went 11-5 under Caldwell, iirc, and I'd take McVay over Caldwell every day of the week and 100 times on Game Day.

Will see how Jared Goff does.It cost The Rams 2 first round draft picks no matter how it looks for him though.I don’t think it was all about words they had though.There relationship as a coach player was changing.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

We all know it was because you was a glowing twidget sub-boy, that messed you up... ~ conventional ET