McVay Press Conference 2/25 Noon

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Listening to McVay talk about new coaches, taking questions from talking heads.

More after he's done.

rdw

Pro Bowler
Will he be prohibited from talking about Goff/Stafford until the new league year starts?

Last edited:

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
McVay was asked that, Yes, he can't talk about Stafford until trade is finalized.

Still listening, more soon.

Psycho_X

Legend
Will he be prohibited from talking about Goff/Stafford until the new league year starts?

As far as Goff, said he appreciates all the moment he had with Goff since 2017, wished he could have been a better leader and coach for him, didn't want to focus on anything other than the accomplishments and positives they had together and wished him the best. Said there was a conversation that he had with Goff but wanted to keep that between the two of them. Mostly just coach speak. Wouldn't expect too much.

Varg6

Starter
Name
Jake
He said all the right things, as usual, when it came to Goff.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
For those of you not able to hear the interview, some things McVay touched on I thought interesting,

Talked about taking too many plays to move the ball.

Rahim Morris checking all the boxes, creating continuity with assist coaches.

Thomas Brown's influence on Cam Akers progress, and Browns elevation to assist HC.

Refused to talk about Stafford as per league rules till trade is finalized.

On Kromer- Mutual decision to part ways.

Talked about assist coaches still here taking on more responsibility.

Asked "what changed with Goff" "things changed quickly" Had conversations with Goff "best kept between Jared and myself".

Rams waiting for cap to finalized.

Was asked about C position "A lot of things to be navigated through".

Talked about Todd Gurley in '17 and how he affected the passing game, and his hopes that Akers could approach that level.

Not surprised Staley got hired away.

All in all McVay typiclly blames himself for most of went wrong in '20 and how he has to do better, A lot of "coach-speak", mostly talked about the new coaches and the assistants who are still here.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Most interesting to me was the Goff comments "Things changed quickly". "Conversations best kept between myself and Jared". Would've liked to be a fly on the wall for that one.

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
Most interesting to me was the Goff comments "Things changed quickly". "Conversations best kept between myself and Jared". Would've liked to be a fly on the wall for that one.

A few things stood out to me.

I thought McVay's tone was much more even keeled than late in the season. His sense of humor and patience are back as well as his characteristic enthusiasm. These are good signs imo.

McVay said it would be "bananas" when the league year and free agency starts. He made clear that the Rams are still trying to figure out the salary cap and mentioned possible restructuring of contracts to free up bucks. No surprise here, Rams are still trying to figure out the path forward to put together the most competitive roster. This is a moving target and McVay doesn't know yet how it will play out.

McVay really likes and values Raheem Morris, but also pointed to the carryover defensive coaches who were mostly promoted as a key to continuity. On offense, he loves Thomas Brown. Spoke highly of Carberry. Made no apology for not letting O'Connell talk to the Chargers, made clear how high a regard he has for him. Wasn't surprised that Staley got an HC gig.

Couldn't talk about Stafford because the deal is not formally done.

On Goff, in addition to positive comments about his overall time with the Rams, McVay rejected the "unfair narrative" that Goff was exclusively to blame for the decline in productivity in the offense the last two years. He acknowledged he was at fault too. (McVay typically does this, but it's not just coach speak-- here he was referencing specific situations he might have handled better.) Said the QB and the coach always get too much credit and too much blame. Talked about execution throughout the offense as a factor and emphasized it's a team sport.

In response to another question, acknowledged that Gurley especially in 2017 was a big factor not just in the running game but the passing game and the overall success of the offense. Couldn't resist immediately talking about his similar hopes for Akers as a special player going forward and in both phases. Pointed to Akers rib injury as something that slowed him down last year. Expects Akers to pick up where he left off.

This is just my brief summary, you can listen for yourself. Recommended for ROD poster and Rams' fans.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
For those of you not able to hear the interview, some things McVay touched on I thought interesting,

Talked about taking too many plays to move the ball.

Rahim Morris checking all the boxes, creating continuity with assist coaches.

Thomas Brown's influence on Cam Akers progress, and Browns elevation to assist HC.

Refused to talk about Stafford as per league rules till trade is finalized.

On Kromer- Mutual decision to part ways.

Talked about assist coaches still here taking on more responsibility.

Asked "what changed with Goff" "things changed quickly" Had conversations with Goff "best kept between Jared and myself".

Rams waiting for cap to finalized.

Was asked about C position "A lot of things to be navigated through".

Talked about Todd Gurley in '17 and how he affected the passing game, and his hopes that Akers could approach that level.

Not surprised Staley got hired away.

All in all McVay typiclly blames himself for most of went wrong in '20 and how he has to do better, A lot of "coach-speak", mostly talked about the new coaches and the assistants who are still here.

Jourdan said McVay felt that his time spent on defense in 2020 kept him from giving as much attention to the offense as he should have. (Paraphrasing)

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Jourdan said McVay felt that his time spent on defense in 2020 kept him from giving as much attention to the offense as he should have. (Paraphrasing)

Sounds like a negative, except we lost Staley and now it’s a good thing McVay did that. (y)

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack

That's the 4 hour talk they had, I imagine? The one where they exited with "philosophical differences"???

payote75

Hall of Fame
Name
Payote75
That's the 4 hour talk they had, I imagine? The one where they exited with "philosophical differences"???

Yea there is so much left there for interpretation but I really would rather it be philosophical differences that a loss of faith in Goff and a feeling of regression.

I say that for Goffs sake. I've always maintained that I will root for him accept if it affects us. That said if it means that perhaps they butted heads or had a difference of opinion it gives me hope that Goff had a pulse, a view and a better brain than even I gave him credit for. For the sake of his career I hope that's the case. I'm thankful and grateful for what he did for us fans and the rams organisation but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't excited about moving on with Stafford.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
I can't imagine a 4 hour conversation like that.

I mean, I'm a fan and I have a solid idea about what McVay expects from the position.

How could Goff not at least know it such that they'd need to have such a conversation unless it was to state that he disagreed with McVay's expectations.

I dunno. We probably won't know for another 20 years, but I admit to being morbidly curious...

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The kid's got guts... I 'll give him that. He's not satisfied with a dink-and-dunk offense... says you have to have big plays, makes it easier to be a winner (paraphrasing here). Think of the pressure Goff was under, and the lecture McVay was giving him as they watched film after every game. One thing that stands out for me was the Tampa game, when Goff was like 40 of 50 for 375 yards. I thought it was a great game by Goff, when McVay was probably thinking that they were lucky to get out of there alive. McVay was demanding excellence, and we all saw the results of his thinking. Right or wrong... he's got guts. We'll see how this plays out over the next couple of years. Go McVay, Go Stafford, Go Rams!

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Sounds like a negative, except we lost Staley and now it’s a good thing McVay did that. (y)

My thoughts also, in a way its good. It seems he felt he needed to learn about the defense that gave him problems (part of why he brought Staley according to reports). So maybe it gives him a better overall understanding?

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This was a real good listen and worth the 50 minutes out of my morning.
A couple of thoughts
1) Damn I'm happy this guy is our HC
2) There was a certain twinkle in his eye when Jourdain asked questions, very humanizing moment, she may be able to pry more info out of him than others
3) With his coaching tree expanding by the minute, it is abundantly clear that he is a good evaluator and what he sees as important aspects is what ultimately makes his coaches successful.
4) Really pumped to see Thomas Brown ascend, (dude looks like he can still play) and if he doesnt get poached first, he will be the next OC of this team
5) I've totally come to grips with the "why" of the Goff decision. Folks can manipulate whats said to fit narratives on both sides, but I think ultimately it's pretty clear what happened. McVay came to the Rams knowing that the only way to eat an elephant, is one bite at a time. He couldnt come in and change the whole roster, he didnt know who fit, and who didnt. He was wet behind the ears and was happy to work with what he had, change what was needed most and take bites at a time. At this point, he's almost eaten the whole thing and the last thing he needed to change, maybe the thing he put off as long as possible, is the QB. And only because he was able to get Stafford, did this thing come together.
McVay is all about 100%, and he'll continue to strive for it. So Goff may have been 90%, which was good enough for so long, and when he saw a guy with that 100% ceiling, it was go time

ottoman89

Busch Light slammin, hog farmin, Iowa boy.
Name
Josh Otto
This was a real good listen and worth the 50 minutes out of my morning.
A couple of thoughts
1) Damn I'm happy this guy is our HC
2) There was a certain twinkle in his eye when Jourdain asked questions, very humanizing moment, she may be able to pry more info out of him than others
3) With his coaching tree expanding by the minute, it is abundantly clear that he is a good evaluator and what he sees as important aspects is what ultimately makes his coaches successful.
4) Really pumped to see Thomas Brown ascend, (dude looks like he can still play) and if he doesnt get poached first, he will be the next OC of this team
5) I've totally come to grips with the "why" of the Goff decision. Folks can manipulate whats said to fit narratives on both sides, but I think ultimately it's pretty clear what happened. McVay came to the Rams knowing that the only way to eat an elephant, is one bite at a time. He couldnt come in and change the whole roster, he didnt know who fit, and who didnt. He was wet behind the ears and was happy to work with what he had, change what was needed most and take bites at a time. At this point, he's almost eaten the whole thing and the last thing he needed to change, maybe the thing he put off as long as possible, is the QB. And only because he was able to get Stafford, did this thing come together.
McVay is all about 100%, and he'll continue to strive for it. So Goff may have been 90%, which was good enough for so long, and when he saw a guy with that 100% ceiling, it was go time
Agreed with everything. Goff got us to where we are, but perhaps he had limits that ultimately hindered the Offense when he couldn't just hand or toss to Gurley. But it's clear McVay wants better. And I'll always love that McVay doesn't care who your name is or what you make, if you're not playing where he thinks you should, you're gone. He's not complacent. He knows and demands greatness.