McVay on the Centre Position

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
McVay's comments are just a stall. They are working to get a FA center. Buying time while they get physicals, checking all the boxes and ironing out contract terms. They made the cuts to get the cap space, released their starting center (if they were going with a draft pick they would have waited until after the draft to cut Barnes)

It takes more than just a few weeks in one off season to become an NFL center. They may very well cross train their current guards, but I highly doubt they go that route to start the season.

McSead have center covered, just not ready to reveal "who" yet.

Hey Man

Starter
Name
Hey Man
The Eagles released Kelse I believe. He another option, better than what we have. Don't think he's a long term answer though. He took a lot of heat here in Philly towards the end of season.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Center has great value through rounds 3-5. If I'm GM that's a big need that I am going to address there vice blowing money on a guy who won't be any kind of real answer. Just draft the position for once ffs and let's finish up that OL rebuild.

InnovatedMind

NO MA'AM President
Name
Joe
Center has great value through rounds 3-5. If I'm GM that's a big need that I am going to address there vice blowing money on a guy who won't be any kind of real answer. Just draft the position for once ffs and let's finish up that OL rebuild.

Agreed

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
So you want a rookie with no NFL experience making the protection calls? Is that a good idea considering our QB still has a big learning curve in a new offense? I don't like that idea at all, hoping we can sign a vet that can play until the rookie is ready.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So you want a rookie with no NFL experience making the protection calls? Is that a good idea considering our QB still has a big learning curve in a new offense? I don't like that idea at all, hoping we can sign a vet that can play until the rookie is ready.

QB makes the protection calls in this offense. And yes, I want a rookie Center to start.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Travis Frederick did it and solidified that Dallas OL. He was rated a 3rd rounder, but Dallas knew he was the last piece for that OL...and he was.

If the Rams find the next TF, then they should pull the trigger. Don't be afraid to use a 2nd on the right guy.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Our QB is not ready

He wasn't last year.

This year I think he will be. Talented kid who wants to be great and works hard plus a strong offensive staff. Why would I think otherwise?

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
He wasn't last year.

This year I think he will be. Talented kid who wants to be great and works hard plus a strong offensive staff. Why would I think otherwise?
Because he's raw and it's a new offense. In my opinion a vet at center would really help him out and would give the rookie center to get up to speed.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
True that. Joe Thomas, Kevin Zeitler, Travis Frederick, and Ricky Wagner. I believe those guys are the highest paid LT, G, C, and RT in the league respectively. Not to mention Ramczyk is should be a first rounder in this year's draft at LT. The system works.
Joe Thomas was until that wonderful contract given to that joke Okung :D

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Would love Gory, was on to him early in the off season. Still would draft a backup late though.

RAMpage28

Hall of Fame
Joe Thomas was until that wonderful contract given to that joke Okung :D

Forgot that he got paid big.

He's decently talented enough, but I don't trust Okung to stay on the field consistently.

Chargers probably had to overpay him a bit given their situation.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Forgot that he got paid big.

He's decently talented enough, but I don't trust Okung to stay on the field consistently.

Chargers probably had to overpay him a bit given their situation.

Chargers feel better about their depth chart now because they see a veteran on it. But it won't matter when they take the field and they realize they still need a tackle.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
The Eagles released Kelse I believe. He another option, better than what we have. Don't think he's a long term answer though. He took a lot of heat here in Philly towards the end of season.

I believe Kelce is a better fit for a zone blocking scheme. I wonder if he is a fit.

Travis Frederick did it and solidified that Dallas OL. He was rated a 3rd rounder, but Dallas knew he was the last piece for that OL...and he was.

If the Rams find the next TF, then they should pull the trigger. Don't be afraid to use a 2nd on the right guy.

Actually Frederick was not the last piece. They drafted both La'el (should have been a Ram) Collins and Zach Martin a year or two after the got Frederick. I was hoping the Rams would pick Frederick but Fisher's old school mentality that you only draft OLine after round 3was still in affect at the time.

Ramsey

Starter
Name
Ramsey
Perhap, the Rams should consider free agent Tampa Bay center Joe Hawley. I confess I haven't seen much tape on Hawly, but UFA Joe Hawley has the longest sack-less streak (709 snaps) of any NFL Center.

Profootball Focus gave 28 year old Joe Hawley a 76.0 grade. Joe stands 6'3 302 lbs.

The bad- Joe has a knee injury history which is why Joe wouldn't cost much. My guess 2-3 million a year.

Last edited: