McVay on the Centre Position

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
Perhap, the Rams should consider free agent Tampa Bay center Joe Hawley. I confess I haven't seen much tape on Hawly, but UFA Joe Hawley has the longest sack-less streak (709 snaps) of any NFL Center.

Profootball Focus gave 28 year old Joe Hawley a 76.0 grade. Joe stands 6'3 302 lbs.

The bad- Joe has a knee injury history which is why Joe wouldn't cost much. My guess 2 million a year.
My targets are Groy, Sullivan (was with the Skins) , Hawley, Schwenke. I know that Mangold is still out there but, I would rather go young and his injury history the past couple yrs scares me. We need to be able to count on the guy we sign to play. And preferably young enough to grow with Goff for awhile.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
At Wisconsin:
Groy is a Wisconsin native. He redshirted in 2009, and set a school record by playing all 54 games of his career. He played 13 games in 2010, starting two at fullback. In 2011, he played 14 games, starting four (three at left guard, one at center). He started all 14 games in 2012 (12 at left guard, two at left tackle), and all 13 games at left guard in 2013.

In the NFL:
Groy was signed as an undrafted free agent to the Chicago Bears on May 11, 2014. He was then moved to the practice squad on September 1. On November 10, he was promoted to the active roster.
On August 10, 2015, Groy was traded to the New England Patriots for Matthew Wells. On September 4, 2015, Groy was waived by the Patriots with an injury designation.
On October 28, 2015, Groy was signed to the Buccaneers' practice squad.
On November 25, 2015 Groy was signed from the Buccaneers practice squad by Buffalo Bills.
On November 7, 2016 Groy took over for injured Eric Wood and after a bye week, started the final 7 games of the season.
24 GP; 10 starts (7 at OC)

That's better than Demetrius Rhaney
32 GP; 1 start (at OG)

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Crosstrain? Oh, I don't like the sound of that. At least get this groy guy and see if a nice option is available in the draft. The rams need to nail it with the center position or the other oline moves will suffer.

Cross training is ok as long as they're still planning on picking up a capable replacement. I like the idea of the best players being able to play more than one position. Then you can move someone in case of an injury and use your best option off the bench.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
SURELY, they have a more solid plan than a cross-train. This has to be a contingency plan in case they need a 3rd Center during the season and are just using it as a smoke screen today. I think they draft one for the future but they've got to go get a serviceable FA for this season. Anything short of that is like playing roulette.

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
Wish we kept Kush. He filled in nicely for Chicago last year. Another bonehead move by the Fish.
source.gif

I was stunned when they cut Kush.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
It's that time of year. We would like to know WTF they have in mind. McVay & Snead & Co. make statements such as "we're going to cross train our OG's to play center" and we think, "what?". But they're not going to lay out their plans for everybody to see. And I wouldn't want them to enlighten us at that expense. I think we all believe "cross-training" is plan B (or C) with respect to our starting center position. Maybe it isn't.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
I bet they're waiting on physicals. They probably are having their own doctors check out potential FA. That or getting the contract fine print right.

No way they release Barnes if they thought they were going with a draft pick as their starting center, and it takes more than an offseason to cross train a guard and then start the season with him. Not likely this coaching staff would stick their necks out that far. Way too risky.

Zero

Pro Bowler
I had posted something earlier that Caplan threw out there on twitter. Definitely a viable option... Not thrilled they are tinkering with oline so much, but I trust Kromer and co so if they believe Robinson is a tackle and Havenstein is a guard then so be it.
In KROME we trust.

Zero

Pro Bowler
McSnead have center covered, just not ready to reveal "who" yet.
Bubba,I am freakin lovin these guys.
It's been such a long time coming.
Moves are being made that actually make sense for once.
I am beside myself and may require therapy for my giddyitis.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
My targets are Groy, Sullivan (was with the Skins) , Hawley, Schwenke. I know that Mangold is still out there but, I would rather go young and his injury history the past couple yrs scares me. We need to be able to count on the guy we sign to play. And preferably young enough to grow with Goff for awhile.

None of those guys are really answers. Groy is probably the best option of the bunch, but he's marginal as a starter and at that point why not keep Barnes' marginal @$$ around. Even if Kromer loved him you're talking about a team with more cap space than us too, so they'll just match unless we get stupid.

And again none of them are answers for us. Just draft the position instead of overpaying for a dude who is not going to fill that role adequately for us.

LARAMSinFeb.

Hall of Fame
One thing McVay was part of in Wash. was turning around the OL (albeit it coincided with the arrival of GM McCloughan and OL coach Callahan, as well as the ascendancies of Cousins and Jordan Reed).

For the first time in decades the Redskins were able to provide time to their QB and keep him upright. I think this will be a strength he's bringing to LA most might not be aware of.