Mcvay on mike Thomas" we will embrace him when he comes back

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

lockdnram21

Legend
When asked if he has spoken to Thomas since the suspension, McVay indicated Thomas still has a role with the team:

“I’ve spoken with Mike and it’s something that we’ll deal with and it’s something that we’ll keep those discussions internally. We’re going to support Mike, we’ll put our arm around him and we’ll embrace him when he comes back.”

Jared Goff said Thomas has a role as one of the “fastest receivers” on the roster. According to an ESPN report, Thomas received most of the reps Tavon Austin missed during the offseason while recovering from injury.

Pro Football Focus metrics indicate Thomas had the fourth-highest catch rate (46.7 percent) on targets of twenty yards or more during his final collegiate season.

simonblaze

Pro Bowler
Name
Simonblaze
PFF loves his playmaking potential and thought we had a younger version of Britt (sans the headaches) in terms of having a big, physical wideout who can stretch the field...in mcvay i trust....

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
*shruggs.....It makes sense not to cut him until he finishes his suspension, but it seems crazy to keep giving a guy chances that has never done anything for this team, besides unrealized potential. I guess we'll see.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
*shruggs.....It makes sense not to cut him until he finishes his suspension, but it seems crazy to keep giving a guy chances that has never done anything for this team, besides unrealized potential. I guess we'll see.
Most rookie wr's don't make a lot of noise. I think it's unfair to say a WR going into his second season hasn't done much.
I like his potential. Even if, at the moment, it's only potential.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Most rookie wr's don't make a lot of noise. I think it's unfair to say a WR going into his second season hasn't done much.
I like his potential. Even if, at the moment, it's only potential.
It's not that he hasn't done much (which he hasn't), he also got in trouble and is suspended for games this season. He is not an elite player that gets all of the chances in the world. Like I said, it's not smart to cut him now..but I certainly wouldn't cut another player a few games into the season that is producing something for us. JMHo.

MadGoat

Mathematically alive
Thomas gets open deep better than anyone else on the roster. It's everything after that that needs work.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
We have plenty of WR competition and part of winning the job is having the opportunity to play. The NFL is an unforgiving business so players cant shoot themselves in the foot and expect to receive the same consideration as guys who are going about it the right way.

If he can't produce in 12 games what the others can in 16 games, he shouldn't be retained at this point but that is McVay's call.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
Despite Mike Thomas's suspension, he has attributes that fit McVay's criteria: Smart between the ears on the field, good route running. Just needs to improve his hands and we have ourselves a damn good receiver.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

and so they should. if he shows he's one of the top 6 wrs in camp there's no way they should let him go.

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
I 100% think that Thomas makes the team. I actually think the suspension helped him stick around, at least until after week 4.

Does he have practice squad eligibility still?

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
More of what is wrong with the Rams. A chance to change the culture and they won't take it. He's a fringe player who should be made into an example

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
@blackbart I don't really understand how he could be made as an example. He was caught using PEDs something that is widely used in the league - from what I understand it's a large percentage of players that use these.

He was caught trying to make himself better. Sure it's 'cheating' according to the rules. However, he was caught trying to make himself better.

There are without a doubt other players on our team using these same PEDs - even right now.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
More of what is wrong with the Rams. A chance to change the culture and they won't take it. He's a fringe player who should be made into an example

You don't change the culture by making guys an "example." If Thomas can contribute to this team and is a positive character in the locker room, they should keep him. McVay doesn't need to try to rule by fear.

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
You don't change the culture by making guys an "example." If Thomas can contribute to this team and is a positive character in the locker room, they should keep him. McVay doesn't need to try to rule by fear.

Anybody noticing the difference of how players talk. Not just answering questions, but also the substance of their answers. This is a different team. I think every veteran interview I have watched they talk about the change in culture and expectations.

To my knowledge Mcvay has a masters in education. The guy knows how to teach. Connor Barwin, a nine year veteran said ". . . this is the most talented coaching staff I have ever been around"

Ram65

Legend
“I’ve spoken with Mike and it’s something that we’ll deal with and it’s something that we’ll keep those discussions internally. We’re going to support Mike, we’ll put our arm around him and we’ll embrace him when he comes back.”

That's a smart head coach. Supporting a hard working player. Keep it in house.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I think if he has a strong camp he'll make the team. But that said McVay's message could mean "we're gonna cut him and put him on the practice squad."

Long way to go still, we're gonna have to wait and see how these guys look in camp and preseason.