McVay has only been outcoached in 3 of the 13 games, IMO.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Redskins
Vikings
Eagles

All were losses, of course.

Rams also lost to Seahawks, but were not outcoached. They turned the ball over 5 times and were not quite able to overcome it. Again, IMO.

My point? Unless McVay allows Carroll to outcoached him (very doubtful), we win vs the crippled Seahawks. Home field or no home field advantage. We are a more experienced and cohesive team now than we were then.

And I strongly suspect that McVay and his players are gonna show up determined to make a danged statement next Sunday. Payback for that 1st game, frustration for losing the Eagle game, and, oh yeah, they wanna get a stranglehold on that division title.

Hope we have a decent referee crew that lets the players play. Is that too much to ask for?

Tano

Legend
Redskins
Vikings
Eagles

All were losses, of course.

Rams also lost to Seahawks, but were not outcoached. They turned the ball over 5 times and were not quite able to overcome it. Again, IMO.

My point? Unless McVay allows Carroll to outcoached him (very doubtful), we win vs the crippled Seahawks. Home field or no home field advantage. We are a more experienced and cohesive team now than we were then.

And I strongly suspect that McVay and his players are gonna show up determined to make a danged statement next Sunday. Payback for that 1st game, frustration for losing the Eagle game, and, oh yeah, they wanna get a stranglehold on that division title.

Hope we have a decent referee crew that lets the players play. Is that too much to ask for?
Now that you say that, watch us get Trippleshit for this game.

NateDawg122

Pro Bowler
McVay has never in his life been outcoached! He knows more about football than you ever will so how dare you question his ability?! Every play he calls is perfection!

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
McVay has never in his life been outcoached! He knows more about football than you ever will so how dare you question his ability?! Every play he calls is perfection!
There is only on perfect person around here!! Do you want to guess who I think it is!?

note.jpg
:D:mrburnsevil:

Ellard80

Legend
It's really hard for me to say he was outcoached in any game... maybe the vikings game: but if we don't fumble at the 1 yard line that game is different also.

We don't give up a bunch of 3rd downs or make key penalites we beat the Eagles.

It's been about the players making plays or mistakes.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
The Skins game definitely, his mentor went all-out to school him and definitely had the edge. Vikings same thing, I think they were the better team as well, but their whiny crybaby b!#ch head coach schooled him as well.

Eagles though... Hard to say. I think it is moreso that the Eagles were a better team than us with Wentz behind center. And even if someone disagrees with that, the final score was so close it's hard to say McVay was outcoached since the opponent was on-par with us in terms of two teams with top records.

So I'd say he's been outcoached twice. And it will be interesting to see how our offense performs if we run into the Viqueens in the playoffs.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
The Skins game definitely, his mentor went all-out to school him and definitely had the edge. Vikings same thing, I think they were the better team as well, but their whiny crybaby b!#ch head coach schooled him as well.

Eagles though... Hard to say. I think it is moreso that the Eagles were a better team than us with Wentz behind center. And even if someone disagrees with that, the final score was so close it's hard to say McVay was outcoached since the opponent was on-par with us in terms of two teams with top records.

So I'd say he's been outcoached twice. And it will be interesting to see how our offense performs if we run into the Viqueens in the playoffs.

Here’s the reason I say that McVay (and his staff) were outcoached, Merlin.

In the 1st half the Eagles were running and passing and scoring at will.

Rams seemed helpless. Eagles had 21 consecutive unanswered points. TOP was off the charts in favor of Eagles.

Now...

Unless one believes that the Eagles were overwhelmingly more talented (I don’t), I think that points toward better scheming by Eagle coaches. Overwhelmingly better.

I shouldn’t put all this on McVay, btw. Much of it was on his asst coaches with a big helping for Wade.

Yeah, Rams made incredible adjustments at halftime, maybe even a little before. But hell, that was after a lot of damage was done.

And don’t get me started about McVay’s underuse of Gurley.

That’s why I say that we were outcoached for the 3rd time this season.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
And don’t get me started about McVay’s underuse of Gurley.

Gonna agree to disagree on the Eagles 43. That was every bit of a 10-2 vs 9-3 playoff matchup all the way to the wire. McVay made some mistakes, but outcoached to me is overkill.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It's been about the players making plays or mistakes.
Ball security!

And, I'd like to see him run the ball more when the Rams have a lead. He seems a little pass happy lately.

Classic Rams

Hall of Fame
Only thing is the Rams have won the turnover battle in a lot of their games so are we counting giving the ball up as not being outcoached or only when the Rams lose the ball? Just trying to look at this without any bias, and on the other hand McVay has proved so far that he's been a good coordinator and head coach, though that doesn't meant he's not if he gets outcoached.... unless it happens frequently and he gets more Ls than Ws.

TexasRam

Legend
To say that Wentz moved the ball at will on us is not true. They got all 4 of their TD’s off times where we stopped Wentz on third down. But Trumaine screwed the pooch twice and they also went for it on 4th down twice. Otherwise they end up with about 9 points in that game.

Mcvay didn’t get outcoached. His players failed. 35 points despite 3 drives killed by the Oline. Twice Sullivan got owned by Cox and a big holding call stalled another drive.

The long developing play that resulted in a sack was Mcvay’s fault. Your RT is out and Williams shouldn’t have been counted on to pass protect on a long route to end the game. But he went for the jugular to end the game and I’m not holding that against Mcvay.

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
I agree with the Redskins and Vikings

And yes in retrospect he could have ran Gurley more vs the Eagles

That being said, that penalty on Tru was brutal and I feel changed the course of the game

gabriel18

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Nothing he can do about the D giving up 3rd down conversions right and left in the Philly game. I just rewatched it and the D could not get off the field. I also noticed that Kupp didn't have a catch after the 13 minute mark in the 3rd quarter. Not sure why

Ram65

Legend
What about Wade Phillips?

Redskins ran the ball down the Rams throats early. Gurley fumbled too. I put this game on Wade and the defense more than McVay.

Vikings seemed to know some Rams plays and put defenders in the right place. While moving the ball @17-10 IIRC McVay went deep on a 1st down near midfield. Incomplete pass and added to stopping the drive. This one would be one he was outcoached. It was a hostile environment.

Eagles game. The long pass attempt resulting in a fumble was not only a drive killer but, a game killer. The last three meaningful drives were totally non-productive. Getting behind early was on the defense. They couldn't get off the field.
McVay might have outcoached himself late in the game. Wade didn't stop Foles late in the game and Wentz early in the game.

Oregonram

OregonRam
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Hey Ram brothers, this is what alarmed me about the Eagles game. The bad guys had 40 more offensive snaps than we did. 40!!!!!!! You don't think that made a difference when Foles got the reigns?
40.... I'm having a hard time wrapping my mind around that. We cannot put that much differential on our defense.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Hey Ram brothers, this is what alarmed me about the Eagles game. The bad guys had 40 more offensive snaps than we did. 40!!!!!!! You don't think that made a difference when Foles got the reigns?
40.... I'm having a hard time wrapping my mind around that. We cannot put that much differential on our defense.

Part of the problem is that what worked for us on offense almost worked too well.

We scored very quickly. So, either we got shut down or scored. No FGs. FIVE TDs.

We had this same problem during the GSOT. There were times they just couldn't sustain a drive. They could score in a second, but they'd lose a game here and there because the D was just...gassed.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
I'm not sure if this is McVay being out-coached or Wade tbh, our D has been very slow on occasions getting match ready IMO. Our opponents run off a huge run / TD in the first half, then we tighten up. The only game where I think McVay was schooled, again IMO, is the Redskins game. The other losses have been either missed opportunities or great plays by opposing Ds - I still believe that if Kupp had held onto that ball on the one against the Vikings, we would have won that game. Now, I'm not blaming Kupp for the loss, but praising that DB for an awesome play in getting the ball out from his grasp.

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I’m firmly putting the eagles loss on wade and the D

Second half (the eagles drive prior to where we blocked the punt ) wade blitzed the hell out of Wentz and got the off the field and we looked good doing

The the lay where Wentz gets hurt he is gimpy he looked shaken two runs which we stuffed then the pass play for the TD ..he sure as hell weren’t running anywhere and he had an eternity in the pocket ... I’d have sent the house and the next doors neighbours house at Wentz on that play