McVay has only been outcoached in 3 of the 13 games, IMO.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
I don’t think he was outcoached in the Eagles game. His offense scored enough points to win.

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan
Under Fisher, the Rams were regularly outcoached.

Coaching is more than scheming, although as McVay puts it, it’s his responsibility to put players in position to succeed. To his credit...in public he always criticizes himself and compliments everyone else, including the players for both teams, other coaches, the training staff, the fans, the league, and even the refs. BTW, this too is part of coaching.

Perhaps in the Vikings and Eagles games, losing two top corners will affect your defense? Maybe the other teams players (Russell Wilson, Carson Wentz, Case Keenum, Alvin Kamara, Fletcher Cox, Adam Theilan, J Clowney) make plays that defeat even good playcalls through remarkable talent and effort. Perhaps fumbles are part coaching and part luck of right place, right time.

In his coaches show, McVay explains that sometimes he makes bad calls and the players make it look good. He WONT SAY that sometimes he makes good calls but the players don’t properly execute them (though we all know this happens). On the Chris Long strip, Williams ran Long waaayyy past the QB. IMO, he did his job. Jared simply held the ball too long but McVay won’t throw him under the bus.

In every game, there are plays where you win and lose in terms of scheming. Only the Redskin and Viking games do I think there were more plays better schemed by the opponent’s coaches than plays by ours. But it would take a lot of counting and qualifyied analysis to determine if that’s true.

Riddle me this, what coach has elevated his team the most from last year to this? What aspects of “coaching” do fans have the hubris to suspect they could do better? Should I point to a handful of playcalls I disagree with while discounting dozens that worked and I don’t even know why? If Philly stacks the box w 8 as their base defense so McVay attacks the weakness and Gurley still averages over 7 yards a carry, should I be simple minded enough to assume McVay should have run the ball more? I hope not.

Anyway, threads like this drive me nuts.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Hey Ram brothers, this is what alarmed me about the Eagles game. The bad guys had 40 more offensive snaps than we did. 40!!!!!!! You don't think that made a difference when Foles got the reigns?
40.... I'm having a hard time wrapping my mind around that. We cannot put that much differential on our defense.

That's what pisses me off about those drive extending plays. I knew that when it came to crunch time that would be the difference, and it was. Their defense was fresh, our was gassed. Because the refs decided they wanted to have their fingerprints all over the game instead of doing what you're supposed to do when you have such a hyped matchup between two contenders this late in the season. They should have just let them play.

gogoat1

Starter
Name
Troy
Get off McVay, he is the best thing to happen to the Rams since Warner and Faulk stepped on the field at the same time.
WE, have a young Bill Walsh. Even better, because he like to throw down field. All those years while we had the crap coaches, crap owner, now we have the deep pocket owner and the young next great , game changing coach.
I will take it.

raised_fisT

Hall of Fame
Its a young team and coach going thru the gauntlet. Gonna take some lumps and gonna have to learn HOW to win before we take that next step. We're all of a sudden spoiled with this team. I get PISSED when they lose... But I was honestly happy with 7 wins at the start of camp. Success can be a bitch.

Tano

Legend
Goff and McVay are still learning at their new jobs but with everything in retrospective Mcvay has been fantastic and I am damn glad we have him.

Varg6

Starter
Name
Jake
I don’t think the Eagles outcoached us whatsoever. Same with Seattle. Both were games with self-inflicted wounds, Seattle being the worst one (5 turnovers).

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
In the Chris Long strip, Williams ran Long waaayyy past the QB. IMO, he did his job. Jared simply held the ball too long but McVay won’t throw him under the bus.
Not saying that Williams didn't give him time ... he did, but he also ran Long outside to Goff's back, which is not only a hard place to see and react to, but also a great place to get stripped as he's going back to throw.

In addition, that route he was looking to go to, at least to my untrained eyes, looked to be recently open, so if the timing was right for that play, he just didn't have the time unmolested in the pocket to complete it, that or the receiver was slow getting to it.

Also, it looked like Gurley was wide open on a route that took a lot less time to develop, in what to me looked like an area that could have been turned up field for nice yardage as well.

My point is that you have blame to go around on that down. A different call may have put Williams in a better position against Long so early in the substitution, so while it is a little bit of a twist it's not untrue that he could find a way to take the blame for it, and taking advantage of that quick strike to Gurley could have avoided the whole mess.

I'm not bent about the offense at all in that game. Both tackles went down to injury, and they handled it well for a team that supposedly doesn't have a lot of depth in that position. Man it really is great to be talking about nuances like this after that shit show we saw last season.