McShay Mock 3.0 - Rams Select....

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ltrautman

MIZ
Amari Cooper

COLLEGE: Alabama
Class: Jr
HT: 6-0
WT: 211
POS: WR

"Analysis: The Rams' biggest need is at quarterback, but in this scenario they aren't getting one. We don't project trades in these mocks, and it's hard to see St. Louis being able to draft Winston or Mariota on April 30 without trading up to do so. The next-biggest need is offensive line, but with Scherff off the board, there isn't a great value match at this point. (My highest-rated tackle is Andrus Peat, but he's more of a pure left tackle who doesn't fit this team's physical approach perfectly.) So I have them filling their need at wide receiver with a great value pick in Cooper, our No. 3 overall player. He is NFL-ready with great savvy as a route runner, separation skills, ball skills and run-after-catch ability. His 4.42 40-yard dash at the combine confirmed he has good speed."

I would be thrilled to see us take Cooper at 10... O-line is a bigger need but this guy is a stud at 10

RamBill

Legend
Todd McShay discusses his latest mock draft and which players moved up in his most recent mock. He has Winston going #1 and Mariota going to the Jets. Cooper falls to the Rams at #10.

Watch McShay Talk Mock Draft

JonRam99

Hall of Fame
Name
Jonathan
Wow... this would be a windfall. Actually, there's enough scenarios out there that it's possible the Rams, if they stay at 10, could reap a bonanza pick like they did w/ A. Donald... Mariota, Cooper, White, L. Williams or even Winston could fall into our laps... if not, there's a great chance that at least Scherff will be there at #10 for us to set up a dominant O Line (a la Dallas).
All that to say, there's NO WAY the Rams should move up with this much potential value waiting for them. In fact, unless absolutely ALL the top players are already selected, AND Scherff is gone, I don't see a reason to trade down either.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
I'd be thrilled. Any one of Cooper, White, Scherff, Collins, Peat, Flowers... or Beasley. Would do a little dance for any one of these guys.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'd be pumped too, but I don't see it happening....especially now that he's being mocked to us so early lol.

The dream scenario is for all the pass rusher to be drafted ahead of us, seeing as we have so many already. But I'd be willing to bet that Cooper goes before us (along with White), and we'll be calling an OL name on draft day at pick 10.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Wow... this would be a windfall. Actually, there's enough scenarios out there that it's possible the Rams, if they stay at 10, could reap a bonanza pick like they did w/ A. Donald... Mariota, Cooper, White, L. Williams or even Winston could fall into our laps... if not, there's a great chance that at least Scherff will be there at #10 for us to set up a dominant O Line (a la Dallas).
All that to say, there's NO WAY the Rams should move up with this much potential value waiting for them. In fact, unless absolutely ALL the top players are already selected, AND Scherff is gone, I don't see a reason to trade down either.

Exactly why I hope they stand pat and make a pick. There will be a top pick available at ten. Think of what Scherf or Collins could do for the Oline. Or Williams for the Dline. Or Winston/Mariota for the QB problem. Cooper/White/Parker for the WR corps.

Right there are 8 players. That is not including any of the pass rushers available. There HAS TO BE a top player available when the Rams select.

JoeBo21

Hall of Fame
Elf.gif

Ltrautman

MIZ
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'd be pumped too, but I don't see it happening....especially now that he's being mocked to us so early lol.

The dream scenario is for all the pass rusher to be drafted ahead of us, seeing as we have so many already. But I'd be willing to bet that Cooper goes before us (along with White), and we'll be calling an OL name on draft day at pick 10.
I agree, I think someone will trade up into the Top 3 to grab the QB that the Bucs dont take #1. Then I think the Raiders take White at 4 and the Jets take Cooper at 6.

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
Exactly why I hope they stand pat and make a pick. There will be a top pick available at ten. Think of what Scherf or Collins could do for the Oline. Or Williams for the Dline. Or Winston/Mariota for the QB problem. Cooper/White/Parker for the WR corps.

Right there are 8 players. That is not including any of the pass rushers available. There HAS TO BE a top player available when the Rams select.
Yes #10 is starting to look like the spot to nab whoever falls. NFL.com latest mock has Mariota.

FRO

Legend
I'm guessing if that happens we'd be in a Conga line.
With you and Hammer here there is no need to go to Ramstalk considering the only people who actually talk football are over here.

I bet you those guys are going batty knowing Sam will be back next year. I'm tempted to go there and troll for a bit.

Athos

Legend
I just have this sick feeling some bastardized bitch of a team is going to trade right ahead of the Rams and both Cooper and White will be gone long before we pick.

Sammy Watkins got quite the haul from the Bills.

White and Cooper are superior to Watkins.

With you and Hammer here there is no need to go to Ramstalk considering the only people who actually talk football are over here.

I bet you those guys are going batty knowing Sam will be back next year. I'm tempted to go there and troll for a bit.

Yea. Not that I'm not worried about being banned, not that I ever really was, I may go troll oldlarry hard a couple times. Even CardsTalk is filled with dispshits these days and Mizzou Talk gets trolled on the daily. At least in season.

RamBill

Legend
Todd McShay mocks a (different) receiver to Rams
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-rams/post/_/id/16582/todd-mcshay-mocks-a-different-receiver-to-rams

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- Now that the NFL scouting combine is over, it's a popular time of the year for analysts and pundits to release a fresh batch of mock drafts.

ESPN NFL draft analyst Todd McShay did just that Thursday afternoon when he unveiled mock draft version 3.0. For the St. Louis Rams, McShay stuck to the same position as his second version but changed the player.

Eschewing the commonly mocked offensive lineman to the Rams that has dotted most mock drafts, McShay sent a wide receiver to St. Louis for the second consecutive time. This time, though, he has the Rams using the No. 10 overall pick on Alabama's Amari Cooper rather than West Virginia's Kevin White.

White was one of the stars of the combine, running the 40-yard dash in 4.35 seconds and confirming his size to complement his speed. McShay had White going 10th to the Rams in his second mock draft but has White going No. 4 to the Oakland Raiders this time around.

Clearly, the Rams have more pressing needs than wide receiver, namely at quarterback and on the offensive line. In McShay's mock draft, the only offensive lineman to go before the Rams pick is offensive tackle Brandon Scherff and top quarterbacks Marcus Mariota and Jameis Winston are also gone.

Rams general manager Les Snead has repeatedly said the worst thing the team could do is reach for a need in the draft. So while offensive line or quarterbacks might be more pressing needs, it would be silly for the Rams to take one at the expense of a much higher-rated player at a different position.

That could change if veteran Kenny Britt departs in free agency, however. If Britt were to leave, a wide receiver would become less of a want and more of a need. In this scenario, Cooper would be a steal for the Rams.

It's my belief that Cooper was the best player in college football last year, and he's done nothing but hammer home his status as a prospect by running a solid 40 (4.42) and measuring in just below his listed height of 6-foot-1.

The addition of Britt and the development of Brian Quick were good signs for the Rams receiving corps, but an argument can still be made that they need a true No. 1 receiver. If one of those, in this case Cooper, slides to No. 10, and he's clearly the best player on the board, it'd be hard to argue with the Rams making such a move.

And repeating myself from the last McShay mock, the Rams aren't in position to force a pick based on need if there are other potential difference-makers available. Drafting defensive tackle Aaron Donald last year is a prime example of taking the best player and allowing him to make a difference right away.

In this scenario from McShay and factoring in that trades could happen but aren't mocked, Cooper would make sense for the same reasons taking Donald did a year ago.