McDaniels: Danny Amendola was like a rookie in 2013

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
By Kevin Patra

The New England Patriots paid wide receiver Danny Amendola to fill Wes Welker's shoes in 2013.

What they got was an oft-injured player who started just six games (played in 12) and caught 54 passes.

The Patriots handed Amendola a five-year, $28.5 million contract, with a $6 million signing bonus, expecting to get a gritty veteran receiver. Instead, offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels described the receiver as somewhat of a greenhorn.

"Danny's not dissimilar to the rookies," McDaniels told the Boston Globe. "He wasn't here before, and he had an opportunity to get a foundation and a system last year. And now it's his second year, and it will be exciting to see Danny's growth. Any time you're in your second year in a system, you're more comfortable. We're excited to see what he does."

Perhaps Amendola can overcome his first-year failures, but in reality, his production was on par with his previous four years in St. Louis: miss multiple games with injuries, catch 50 to 75 passes, gain 600-or-so yards and grab a couple of touchdowns.

The Patriots' offseason moves don't impart a belief that Amendola will suddenly become the player they paid him to be just because it's his second year in the system. The Pats re-signed Julian Edelman -- who became the player Amendola was paid to be -- brought in veteran Brandon LaFell and drafted Jeremy Gallon.

With Rob Gronkowski expected to return from a torn ACL and an improved Kenbrell Thompkins and Aaron Dobson hoping to buttress Edelman, Amendola might be in a fight for playing time.

Given his contract, it's going to take a major leap in production and health for Amendola to stick on the Patriots' roster beyond 2014.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
It amazes me the Patriots won games with those receivers. Real testament to Tom Brady, IMO, he is one heckuva great QB.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
If he could of stayed healthy they would have kept him. But alas, he cant, so its a good thing we didnt pay him.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
I'm a little perplexed by this... Danny played in McDaniels' system before, so.... yeah.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'm a little perplexed by this... Danny played in McDaniels' system before, so.... yeah.
Yeah, that's what I initially thought too, but this one could be markedly different than the one he ran here.
Plus, Amendola didn't play a lot in 2011. About a half of one game.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Also got to remember that the year McD was Oc it was also the lockout year. So not much offseason for him to learn it, then gets injured right away.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
I'm never surprised to see a decline in production after a player receives a big pay increase.

Danny's production really didn't decline, but it certainly didn't increase. Hahahahaha

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'm confused. I thought Brady would be able to elevate him.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
The Patsies have Julian Edelman who stepped up to the plate. They may decide that they found a healthier version of Amendola and cut him loose.