Matthews vs Robinson

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Matthews easily.

*should have made a poll o_O

PowayRamFan

Hall of Fame
I like Robinson more because I think the "fit" for next year and beyond is perfect. Let him absolutely maul at G for a year or two while our excellent coach gets him ready for his ultimate assignment. Boudreau will have this kid ready to roll when the time comes. Signing Saffold means he won't be thrown into the fire at LT UNTIL he's ready. Practicing with Long, and more importantly against QUINN will only help.
I like Matthews, but I say swing for the fences with Robinson....

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Mathews is safer when you look at family values and off the field risk. I'm not saying Robinson won't stay clean, but Jake has the better chance when considering this element.

RamsFan14

Starter
Assuming we go OL, it could depend on what Paul Boudreau thinks of the two. If Boudreau believes he can coach Robinson to his potential, I say why not? He's helped our OL over the last 2 years, if he thinks the very very talented Robinson can be coached to be a good pass protector, I so go for him. Obviously pass protection is his biggest question, everything in terms of physical talent and mental make up he seems fine to me (wouldn't mind him playing guard for a year either)

However I think the Rams are going to pick Mathews tho, he seems like the safer pick who can help us out now. Boudreau should have fun trying to coach him up too.

Alan

Legend
Hubris. I know I always had an inflated opinion of what I could accomplish. Not so much what i could accomplish but how quickly I could get it done. I'm not all that interested in how well he can pass block in year 4 of his contract.

StevenG-BR

Rookie
Greg Robinson belongs in the NFC West. He's the guy. He's better, stronger and has a higher ceiling. He's the better fit for Stacy and St. Louis' revamped run offense.

Jake Matthews is OK. But lets face it... he's ranked in the top 10 because of his last name, his father and Johnny Football. He doesn't have Robinson's ceiling. I think Matthews is the 3rd best OT in this draft (but the other guy is undraftable in the top 15 due to off-the-field concerns).

With Dahl gone... the offense needs someone with attitude up front. And that's not Matthews, sorry.

FRO

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Greg Robinson belongs in the NFC West. He's the guy. He's better, stronger and has a higher ceiling. He's the better fit for Stacy and St. Louis' revamped run offense.

Jake Matthews is OK. But lets face it... he's ranked in the top 10 because of his last name, his father and Johnny Football. He doesn't have Robinson's ceiling. I think Matthews is the 3rd best OT in this draft (but the other guy is undraftable in the top 15 due to off-the-field concerns).

With Dahl gone... the offense needs someone with attitude up front. And that's not Matthews, sorry.
His brothers weren't highly ranked, so the last name didn't help them. Johnny Football hurt Matthews much more than he helped him. He held onto the ball a long long time.

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
Fisher knows what he will get with Matthews. I would take him over Robinson at this point.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
If Boudreau sees the Rams needs as #1- need for a ready to play OLT in case & or #2- a ready to plug in OL'er when the season begins @ any OL position & in addition #3- a future starting ORT when Barksdale departs for the Millions in UFA then Jake Matthews is the pick.

If Boudreau sees #1 need is a starting OLG who can run block with high efficiency & #2 a OLT to be groomed for future starts @ just OLT then Gerald Robinson is the pick.

In truth the Rams need both of these OL'ers.

StevenG-BR

Rookie
Yeah. I'm not buying that.

Why not? The NFL is a game of nepotism. Always has been. Only Robinson didn't have to get his daddy to spread the word and befriend NFL coaches. He earned everything on his own.

Please. If Matthews' last name was Smith and he had no NFL ties and player for... lets say Tennessee... the last couple years, he'd be on mocked in the 20's.

And Fro... Really? Playing just over five feet away from the most watched player in all of college football... hurt him? You don't really believe that, do you? I guess Scottie Pippen's career was held back because of Michael Jordan too.

FRO

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Why not? The NFL is a game of nepotism. Always has been. Only Robinson didn't have to get his daddy to spread the word and befriend NFL coaches. He earned everything on his own.

Please. If Matthews' last name was Smith and he had no NFL ties and player for... lets say Tennessee... the last couple years, he'd be on mocked in the 20's.

And Fro... Really? Playing just over five feet away from the most watched player in all of college football... hurt him? You don't really believe that, do you? I guess Scottie Pippen's career was held back because of Michael Jordan too.
It's Texas A&M football. They fill that place up all the time. Nepotism doesn't block the opposing RDE, skill does that. If Matthews last name were Smith he would still be held in high regard.

What does Matthews do wrong or lack that makes him unworthy of a top 10 pick?

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Only Robinson didn't have to get his daddy to spread the word and befriend NFL coaches. He earned everything on his own.

So... Bruce is why Jake Mathews is widely regarded as a top 10 pick?

It is that easy and that simple?

StevenG-BR

Rookie
It's Texas A&M football. They fill that place up all the time. Nepotism doesn't block the opposing RDE, skill does that. If Matthews last name were Smith he would still be held in high regard.

What does Matthews do wrong or lack that makes him unworthy of a top 10 pick?

I agree that he'd still be held in high regard. That's why I said he'd be mocked in the 20's. But top 10? That's nothing but his name.

His run blocking is soft, and he doesn't have the strength nor the athleticism to upgrade that aspect of his game at the NFL level. At no point during his film does he overwhelm his opponents on a consistent basis the way Robinson does. He's the 3rd best tackle in this draft, and that doesn't warrant a top 10 pick IMO.

StevenG-BR

Rookie
So... Bruce is why Jake Mathews is widely regarded as a top 10 pick?

It is that easy and that simple?

No... It's why he was regarded as a top 10 pick. But he'll slip on draft day. Rams should have a shot at him at 13, and I can live with that.

EDIT

But if they DO take Jake in the top 10, I'll be coming back here and talking to you, CGI. I'll be a bit nauseous, so it's up to you to talk off the ledge if that happens! Don't let me down!

Last edited: