Matthews vs Robinson

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

FRO

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Matthews in pass protection is impressive. He mirrors well. Looks effortless out there. Elite feet. He doesn't have the power Robinson has. Robinson constantly is pushing his man back in the run game. That being said I think the issue with pass protection is real. In the Alabama game he gave up a quick sack when the defender went low and got under him. He isn't pass blocking the edge rusher much. I'm just nervous picking a guy that high that doesn't have much tape of him blocking the edge. There is no doubt he can be an all pro OG. He may be able to develop as an all pro OT. Matthews on the other hand has great tape playing on the right and left side. He doesn't have that wow factor though. He is an athletic smart technician who locks down his man with no help. Boudreau will have his pick of the two.

MerlinJones

Pro Bowler
I really don't think that the Rams could go wrong with either one, but I'd take Matthews if it were up to me.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Matthews in pass protection is impressive. He mirrors well. Looks effortless out there. Elite feet. He doesn't have the power Robinson has. Robinson constantly is pushing his man back in the run game. That being said I think the issue with pass protection is real. In the Alabama game he gave up a quick sack when the defender went low and got under him. He isn't pass blocking the edge rusher much. I'm just nervous picking a guy that high that doesn't have much tape of him blocking the edge. There is no doubt he can be an all pro OG. He may be able to develop as an all pro OT. Matthews on the other hand has great tape playing on the right and left side. He doesn't have that wow factor though. He is an athletic smart technician who locks down his man with no help. Boudreau will have his pick of the two.
I agree and this is the thing that bothers me. Robinson looks like a plug and play immediate run game upgrade. A difference maker, and with good coaching(which we have) he might develop into an all-pro LT.
If you knew you could draft an all pro OG in the top 10...when you have OLine needs...why wouldn't you?

As of today we have an OG who has shown flashes of greatness but can't stay on the field...and at the other OG post we have a giant hole.

RamsOfCastamere

I drink things, and know nothing
Robinson supporters acknowledge his weakness at pass protection, but also consider that he'll improve in that area with 1-2 years of NFL coaching and experience before being asked to slide to LT. There is no reason to believe that he will not improve in that area, especially with his athleticism.

bluecoconuts

Legend
I agree and this is the thing that bothers me. Robinson looks like a plug and play immediate run game upgrade. A difference maker, and with good coaching(which we have) he might develop into an all-pro LT.
If you knew you could draft an all pro OG in the top 10...when you have OLine needs...why wouldn't you?

As of today we have an OG who has shown flashes of greatness but can't stay on the field...and at the other OG post we have a giant hole.

Honestly what I'd like is to get Matthews or Robinson and a receiver or safety in the first, then pick up another OG in the 2nd or 3rd. I like that OG from UCLA, but if we draft him I'll probably just call him alphabet.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
When they come in for a visit give them 5 snaps each against Quinn. Winner gets drafted at 2.

jap

Legend
As I indicated earlier, Coach Bou should be the main one to decide who he feels will help the Horns in the long haul. If he feels Greg Robinson can be a good enough student to quickly translate lessons to his on-field technique, then he may have the greater overall value.

However, as good as Jake Matthews is now, there is too much talk about how he is pro-ready or a finished product. I doubt Jake has maximized his full potential, and Coach Bou is one of the elite few teachers who can pull it all out of him. Jake will be able to help at tackle immediately and has the ability to slide into any starting OL position
plus long snapper. His savvy father, All Pro Bruce, taught his son that one sure way to increase his NFL longevity was to master long snapping in addition to all the five OL positions. That said, Jake may just become one of the finest overall OL players of all-time with Coach Bou as his mentor.

I'm really, really glad that everyone is going crazy over the young kid, Johnny Football or whatever his moniker is. That may very well incite the Browns to get crazy about surrender both! of their 1st rounders to us for them to move up to the #2 overall selection. Being able to grab Jake or Greg and still hold two first round picks would be almost as worthy of the coup we scored over the 'Skins on the RGIII fleecing. (It's always such a pleasure doing business with Danny Boy Snyder!) Even if we garner "only" the #4 overall pick and a 2nd round selection from the Browns, it would still be helpful in helping to build a playoff (and possibly a championship) caliber outfit in the Gateway to the West.

Last edited:

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Honestly what I'd like is to get Matthews or Robinson and a receiver or safety in the first, then pick up another OG in the 2nd or 3rd. I like that OG from UCLA, but if we draft him I'll probably just call him alphabet.
Yeah i dont know, i just don't get excited about Matthews as a run blocker at the next level. I want an OLine that can push DLines around in this division.

I'm sure Matthews is going to be solid, maybe i'm just being greedy. My point was also that taking a sure thing at OG shouldn't be viewed as taboo at the top of the draft IMO.
Being restricted to drafting LT only...seems like antiquated thinking.

Alan

Legend
Mojo Ram liking all pro OGs:
Yeah i dont know, i just don't get excited about Matthews as a run blocker at the next level. I want an OLine that can push DLines around in this division.

I'm sure Matthews is going to be solid, maybe i'm just being greedy. My point was also that taking a sure thing at OG shouldn't be viewed as taboo at the top of the draft IMO.
Being restricted to drafting LT only...seems like antiquated thinking.
It's not that I'm against drafting an all pro OG, I wouldn't mind that even at #2. I totally agree with your "antiquated thinking" concerning the G position. My problem is what happens when Long/Barksdale/Saffold get injured? I think you can get a very good (though not all pro) OG in the second round but I have very strong doubts about accomplishing the same thing at LT. I can see me making the same posts about us not being able to protect Sam this year as I did last year. If you were just looking at Matthews vs Robinson I think I'd want Robinson.

nighttrain

Legend
I really don't think that the Rams could go wrong with either one, but I'd take Matthews if it were up to me.
Same here, Mathews light years ahead of Robinson in pass blocking. SB needs Mathews on left side, He can play guard for a couple of years or less, if Long reinjured

train

iced

if we went tackle, I'd want Matthews.

I think of the tackle group he's the only one thats close to a "safe" or "sure" thing.. he's the most polished. He'll start day one.

Ram_of_Old

Robinson seems to be a little ahead of Matthews, but either of these guys would fill the bill.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Jake Matthews. The guy that has performed at a high levell through his college career and not a late season/combine wonder.

iced

Jake Matthews. The guy that has performed at a high levell through his college career and not a late season/combine wonder.
excellent point.

Give me the top player based off of college tape, pre-combine

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
I watched that Texas A&M/Alabama game. Matthews looked like Orlando Pace out there on pass pro. He was kind of meh on run blocking.

FRO

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I watched that Texas A&M/Alabama game. Matthews looked like Orlando Pace out there on pass pro. He was kind of meh on run blocking.
I wonder how his run blocking would look of he were in an offense with a traditional run offense. I will have to go back and look at his stuff when Sherman was the HC.