Matt Stafford Changes Everything for Rams

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Schein: Matt Stafford Changes Everything for Rams

In 2020, the NFL’s talking heads circuit had the LA Rams all but dead, many projecting them to finish last in the NFC West and end up below .500 for the first time during head coach Sean McVay’s watch. Suddenly, this year the LA Rams are the darlings of the NFL. Can one player truly make THAT much of a difference?

In a word, yes.

And that is exactly what CBS Sports News pundit Adam Schein claims has happened from the moment that the LA Rams traded with the Detroit Lions for veteran quarterback Matthew Stafford.

It started with a phone interview on Adam Schein’s Sirius radio podcast on Mad Dogs Sports Radio when Rams head coach spoke to Schein about the fit of Stafford to the Rams offense. But McVay stated that the Rams will import some of the offense from Stafford’s days with Detroit. That opens an entirely new conversation for the future. But for now, McVay is sold that Stafford can deliver his team a Lombardi.

We’d be silly not to implement (what Stafford did in Detroit)

Just check out this podcast held earlier in the week:

“You’re going to see some stuff that’s reflected in a lot of the success that he’s had in Detroit. We would be silly not to implement these things.”#Rams HC Sean McVay tells @AdamSchein why he’s excited to collaborate with new QB Matthew Stafford. pic.twitter.com/KvCrK2aHbj

— Mad Dog Sports Radio (@MadDogRadio) May 6, 2021

Of course, after hearing the vigor and enthusiasm of Sean McVay, Adam Schein was hooked as well. He’s now a believer in what the Rams are capable of doing in 2021. And he’s shouting it from the highest mountain top. Or at least to the nearest hot microphone.

View: https://twitter.com/cbssportsnet/status/1390458198356811780?s=21

Need more proof? Here is a video segment from Adam Schein recorded the very next day. Note how excited he is with the Rams offensive weapons, including speedy receiver Tutu Atwell.

View: https://youtu.be/NRUOZeMSJfw

This isn’t the first time that Schein has been touting the fit of new quarterback Matthew Stafford with the LA Rams offense.

Stafford is a hot NFL topic

As is often the case, major moves by an NFL team are often applauded by the NFL sports circuit. Talk shows often key on major NFL news with a strong pro or con perspective. Schein has even gone so far as to say that the trade for Stafford ‘Makes the LA Rams the clear favorite in the best division in football.’

Of course, Adam Schein’s endorsement can be construed as the kiss of death, like so many pundits. His 2020 NFL predictions for Super Bowl contenders included the Kansas City Chiefs (14-2), the Baltimore Ravens (11-5), the San Francisco 49ers (6-10), the Houston Texans (4-12), the Dallas Cowboys (6-10), the Green Bay Packers (13-3), the Philadelphia Eagles (4-11-1), the Buffalo Bills (13-3), and the Seattle Seahawks (12-4). He picked five teams that made it to the NFL Playoffs, and four teams that did not.

Let’s hope that the Rams get the positive and truly excel in 2021, and not the kiss of death like that of the 49ers, Cowboys, Eagles, and Texans. I’ve never been much of a fan of Adam Schein, simply because everything he claims is to the extreme, much like a Sith Lord talks in absolutes. I think that the LA Rams are a better team this year. How much better? Well, that remains to be seen. But if you believe CBS Sports Network analyst Adam Schein? Good enough to win Super Bowl LVI.

Malibu

Pro Bowler
Yes, and the Cowboys are going to be special this year...

Talk is cheap. Hopefully Rams will be serious contenders, but I am not going to. believe it because this dude says so.

My own view is that adding the deep threat and speed with DSJ and Atwell makes it much more likely that Rams can take the division and pose a serious threat in the playoffs. Not being able to stretch the field was a serious issue last year and imo would have been a serious issue for Stafford. Changing qbs alone doesn't magically transform the offense, and McVay knows it.

Now we'll see if Corbett can play center.
They couldn't stretch the field because of poor OL play period end story.

Let me ask all of you why did Snead not draft a speed guy instead of a 3rd possession wr who did hardly anything in 5 years of college never breaking 700 yards a total stupid pick.

Malibu

Pro Bowler
Couldn't agree more. In crucial situations, Goff did not exude the sense of urgency that was required. Instead of improving under pressure, he regressed IMO. Last year you could clearly see McVay's frustration on the sidelines. I liked Goff, and he is a talented guy, but he so often couldn't spot open receivers in time and would hold on to the ball too long. McVay apparently had enough and Goff is now Lion ..

Stafford appears more decisive (as in goes through his progressions quickly) and at least outwardly appears to have a lot more fire in his belly. It will be very interesting to see what actually transpires this year with both guys after all the conjecture by the "talking heads" and us fans.
I guess Mahomes couldnt spot them in the Superbowl either so he definitely sucks and is regressing. Oh he was down two starting tackles why didn't he improve under pressure like you try and pin on Goff.

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
They couldn't stretch the field because of poor OL play period end story.

Let me ask all of you why did Snead not draft a speed guy instead of a 3rd possession wr who did hardly anything in 5 years of college never breaking 700 yards a total stupid pick.
Then let me ask you why McVay has just added two speed guys in DSJ and Atwell? Imo they were lacking the players for downfield explosives, and McVay has stated several times they wanted to get Stafford these types of weapons.

in response to your question, Jefferson appears to be a good receiver but you would have to ask McVay and Snead why they drafted him instead of someone maybe much more of a deep threat. Maybe they should have.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Yeah, that was the biggest thing that was noticeable was the energy and tempo in that Cards game. Will be interesting to see if the forced timeouts because the offense doesn't get up to the line of scrimmage in time is still a thing this season. I like Goff's calm, methodical personality but I think it got in the way of tempo at times and, in only my humble opinion, it started to rub McVay the wrong way too. From what I've seen of Stafford he doesn't let the grass grow underneath him ever.
I can't say that his calm demeanor got in the way of tempo or rubbed McV wrong. Idk maybe.
I do know that his mechanics had changed a bit (from where he was in '17 and '18) and his release had grown into a slower, almost looping motion. The film doesn't lie in that respect.

The film also shows that Stafford gets into his sets quickly and has a very fast release. Processing speed in the face of danger? It's not even close.