Matt Stafford Changes Everything for Rams

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Schein: Matt Stafford Changes Everything for Rams

In 2020, the NFL’s talking heads circuit had the LA Rams all but dead, many projecting them to finish last in the NFC West and end up below .500 for the first time during head coach Sean McVay’s watch. Suddenly, this year the LA Rams are the darlings of the NFL. Can one player truly make THAT much of a difference?

In a word, yes.

And that is exactly what CBS Sports News pundit Adam Schein claims has happened from the moment that the LA Rams traded with the Detroit Lions for veteran quarterback Matthew Stafford.

It started with a phone interview on Adam Schein’s Sirius radio podcast on Mad Dogs Sports Radio when Rams head coach spoke to Schein about the fit of Stafford to the Rams offense. But McVay stated that the Rams will import some of the offense from Stafford’s days with Detroit. That opens an entirely new conversation for the future. But for now, McVay is sold that Stafford can deliver his team a Lombardi.

We’d be silly not to implement (what Stafford did in Detroit)

Just check out this podcast held earlier in the week:

“You’re going to see some stuff that’s reflected in a lot of the success that he’s had in Detroit. We would be silly not to implement these things.”#Rams HC Sean McVay tells @AdamSchein why he’s excited to collaborate with new QB Matthew Stafford. pic.twitter.com/KvCrK2aHbj

— Mad Dog Sports Radio (@MadDogRadio) May 6, 2021

Of course, after hearing the vigor and enthusiasm of Sean McVay, Adam Schein was hooked as well. He’s now a believer in what the Rams are capable of doing in 2021. And he’s shouting it from the highest mountain top. Or at least to the nearest hot microphone.

View: https://twitter.com/cbssportsnet/status/1390458198356811780?s=21

Need more proof? Here is a video segment from Adam Schein recorded the very next day. Note how excited he is with the Rams offensive weapons, including speedy receiver Tutu Atwell.

View: https://youtu.be/NRUOZeMSJfw

This isn’t the first time that Schein has been touting the fit of new quarterback Matthew Stafford with the LA Rams offense.

Stafford is a hot NFL topic

As is often the case, major moves by an NFL team are often applauded by the NFL sports circuit. Talk shows often key on major NFL news with a strong pro or con perspective. Schein has even gone so far as to say that the trade for Stafford ‘Makes the LA Rams the clear favorite in the best division in football.’

Of course, Adam Schein’s endorsement can be construed as the kiss of death, like so many pundits. His 2020 NFL predictions for Super Bowl contenders included the Kansas City Chiefs (14-2), the Baltimore Ravens (11-5), the San Francisco 49ers (6-10), the Houston Texans (4-12), the Dallas Cowboys (6-10), the Green Bay Packers (13-3), the Philadelphia Eagles (4-11-1), the Buffalo Bills (13-3), and the Seattle Seahawks (12-4). He picked five teams that made it to the NFL Playoffs, and four teams that did not.

Let’s hope that the Rams get the positive and truly excel in 2021, and not the kiss of death like that of the 49ers, Cowboys, Eagles, and Texans. I’ve never been much of a fan of Adam Schein, simply because everything he claims is to the extreme, much like a Sith Lord talks in absolutes. I think that the LA Rams are a better team this year. How much better? Well, that remains to be seen. But if you believe CBS Sports Network analyst Adam Schein? Good enough to win Super Bowl LVI.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Man I cant stand Adam Schein, but I agree that we should be excited not for what the other guy couldnt do, but for what Stafford can do. He's raising McVay's bar, in a sense taking a page out of James Collins book, "From Good to Great"
Aint gonna lie...Starting to love me some Schein ~ dieter

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
So changing the trigger man on offense, the guy who makes all the audibles, reads the defense and throws all the passes isn’t all that important???

I guess Brady made no difference for the Bucs. :explode:
Of course it's important. So are the pieces around the qb and the offense as whole.

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
And if he doesn't all of those against the trade will be crowing about being right.
I don’t get these stances that I see here what seems daily. You’re being divisive about what a hypothetical group of people might hypothetically say if a hypothetical situation comes to fruition. What’s the point here? Why keep drawing the line over and over. Some people liked Goff. Some didn’t. Don’t keep propping yourself up on your side and pushing others back to theirs.

MauiRam

Rookie
Yeah, that was the biggest thing that was noticeable was the energy and tempo in that Cards game. Will be interesting to see if the forced timeouts because the offense doesn't get up to the line of scrimmage in time is still a thing this season. I like Goff's calm, methodical personality but I think it got in the way of tempo at times and, in only my humble opinion, it started to rub McVay the wrong way too. From what I've seen of Stafford he doesn't let the grass grow underneath him ever.
Couldn't agree more. In crucial situations, Goff did not exude the sense of urgency that was required. Instead of improving under pressure, he regressed IMO. Last year you could clearly see McVay's frustration on the sidelines. I liked Goff, and he is a talented guy, but he so often couldn't spot open receivers in time and would hold on to the ball too long. McVay apparently had enough and Goff is now Lion ..

Stafford appears more decisive (as in goes through his progressions quickly) and at least outwardly appears to have a lot more fire in his belly. It will be very interesting to see what actually transpires this year with both guys after all the conjecture by the "talking heads" and us fans.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I was a big Goff fan and supporter and I have never hoped for any Rams roster move or trade or player to fail in order to satisfy my ego. Ever.

It's true that I didn't like was the way things went down. Regardless of the drama behind closed doors, regardless of the true feelings the Rams braintrust held for Jared, I expected a little more from them tbth. I didn't care for Sneads comments to the media "Jared Goff is a Ram right now. What day is it?"
It made zero strategic sense to publicly roast a player you intend to trade. Regardless of his albatross contract, his drop off in performance... that's just not a good look in several ways.
I didn't like the way our struggles on offense the past 2 seasons were more or less pinned on the easiest target when it was plain to me that Goff's decline was directly related to a decline across the board in virtually every position group on the offense as well as the offensive coaching - a lot of significant change during the last 2 years and with the possible exception of Cam Akers late season emergence - all of those changes, be it losing Lafleur, the rapid decline of Todd Gurley, losing Saffold, the Center position, Higbees effectiveness last season etc, they all played their part. There were so many obvious ways that our offense as a whole and at the individual level was not as good as they had been in 17-18.
I couldn't square the idea that McVay was upset with Goff for not taking enough shots down the field when it was obvious that on 3rd and medium or more he'scalling safe plays so we could get our underperforming punt team on the field....

Despite whatever critiques I might have, Sean McVay fucking rules. I am grateful every day that he is our head coach. I want him to succeed almost as much as I want the team to.
I don't hold any negative opinions about our coach. I like Trader Les too, but even more when he doesn't say much.

I see these comments from @Merlin and @Elmgrovegnome and others asserting that there are ROD posters secretly hoping the team/trade/etc fails, all for the satisfaction of "being right".
Nearly all frequent posters here are long-time diehard Rams fans first and foremost who have breathed Rams football since long before the McVay Renaissance. Unless we are talking about a troll or a plant from another fanbase, nobody here wants the team to fail for an "I told you so."
Because I was very vocal about my support for Goff ... I always wonder, is that that what they think of me? Do I need to clarify where my loyalties are...? (and that's fucking stupid.)

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
We will find out soon enough. If the offense is all of sudden putting up 4+ more points a game - we should all know why. Sure, we could say that Akers is a year farther along, or the speed of Jackson / Atwell is what is making the difference - but really, deep down - we will all see if the Rams brass was right to make this move. It was very costly - so there needs to be marked improvement.

We all get chapped over the major decisions. I wouldn't take any of it too seriously - its the internet.

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
Because I was very vocal about my support for Goff ... I always wonder, is that that what they think of me? Do I need to clarify where my loyalties are...? (and that's fucking stupid.)
If anyone did (does), you're right - it's stupid.

In reading your post, I was basically nodding in agreement, because I (still) like Goff, and those had been my views, until....

..the Seattle game where he threw that fucking horrendous INT. After calming down, I looked over at my wife and said, "That's fucking it. I can't defend this guy anymore, period".

So I am thrilled with the trade.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I see these comments from @Merlin and @Elmgrovegnome and others asserting that there are ROD posters secretly hoping the team/trade/etc fails, all for the satisfaction of "being right".
Nearly all frequent posters here are long-time diehard Rams fans first and foremost who have breathed Rams football since long before the McVay Renaissance. Unless we are talking about a troll or a plant from another fanbase, nobody here wants the team to fail for an "I told you so."
You troublemaker you. :ROFLMAO:

I just want to move forward man. I think this is a Super Bowl run. No shit. Like really high percentage, probably the strongest I've felt about an upcoming season in a long, long time. And I've been pumped for previous seasons under this regime, every season in fact. Stafford's going to juice this offense with more consistent product snap to snap and I think he'll be able to weather McVay's insane competitive mentality.

IMO McVay has similarities to Belicheat. He doesn't have the decade of excellence as a coordinator. But they're similar types IMO, big time teachers who scheme well and simplify the game. But they're also hard on certain player types. IMO to QB for McVay you gotta be resilient and I'm guessing that Stafford will weather that very well. He's not gonna win all our games for us but he won't need to. He'll provide a higher floor of production and that will be enough for this offense to regain what they were.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I was a big Goff fan and supporter and I have never hoped for any Rams roster move or trade or player to fail in order to satisfy my ego. Ever.

It's true that I didn't like was the way things went down. Regardless of the drama behind closed doors, regardless of the true feelings the Rams braintrust held for Jared, I expected a little more from them tbth. I didn't care for Sneads comments to the media "Jared Goff is a Ram right now. What day is it?"
It made zero strategic sense to publicly roast a player you intend to trade. Regardless of his albatross contract, his drop off in performance... that's just not a good look in several ways.
I didn't like the way our struggles on offense the past 2 seasons were more or less pinned on the easiest target when it was plain to me that Goff's decline was directly related to a decline across the board in virtually every position group on the offense as well as the offensive coaching - a lot of significant change during the last 2 years and with the possible exception of Cam Akers late season emergence - all of those changes, be it losing Lafleur, the rapid decline of Todd Gurley, losing Saffold, the Center position, Higbees effectiveness last season etc, they all played their part. There were so many obvious ways that our offense as a whole and at the individual level was not as good as they had been in 17-18.
I couldn't square the idea that McVay was upset with Goff for not taking enough shots down the field when it was obvious that on 3rd and medium or more he'scalling safe plays so we could get our underperforming punt team on the field....

Despite whatever critiques I might have, Sean McVay fucking rules. I am grateful every day that he is our head coach. I want him to succeed almost as much as I want the team to.
I don't hold any negative opinions about our coach. I like Trader Les too, but even more when he doesn't say much.

it often seems that some fans are more loyal to a player than they are the team, and that’s fucking stupid.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I don’t get these stances that I see here what seems daily. You’re being divisive about what a hypothetical group of people might hypothetically say if a hypothetical situation comes to fruition. What’s the point here? Why keep drawing the line over and over. Some people liked Goff. Some didn’t. Don’t keep propping yourself up on your side and pushing others back to theirs.
I forgot about this one. Yeah I think there is a contingent more inclined to be right than wrong, it’s separate from team success.

Edit: Seeing as I didn’t name anyone and that there are still people claiming Stafford was not going to change anything and the trade was not worth the cost, I don’t get why anyone would be offended, unless of course they were one of the ones waiting to claim proof that the trade was a failure.

It really isn’t some far fetched idea that someone here would do such a thing. It’s not like the naysayers have never jumped the gun and come out too early. It happens almost every year.

Last edited:

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
it often seems that some fans are more loyal to a player than they are the team, and that’s fucking stupid.

I forgot about this one. Yeah I think there is a contingent more inclined to be right than wrong, it’s separate from team success.
Happens on every board but I don't see it as much here as others. I agree with @badnews that virtually everyone here is a Ram fan first. Opinions will vary but I doubt really anyone would rather be right than watch our Rams hoist the Lombardi.

oldnotdead

Legend
Personally, I still think Goff's future is bright and the move will prove itself beneficial for both Jared and Matthew. Jared takes the blame for a lot of his problems. But IMO much of it really belongs on McVay. He's an innovator and creator of schemes, not a developer of young talent. He had a lot of vets in key places in their SB year. But the development of young talent is left to the position coaches as basically, it should be, but in Jared's case, McVay hamstrung him on micromanaging his gameplay. He held him off the LOS until the last seconds, not giving Jared the opportunity to really survey the defense. McVay in essence stunted Goff's development.

Now with Stafford, he will just call plays and let Matt read the defense. Stafford has elite talent, and it makes me laugh to hear that he isn't considered an elite QB. Those no-nothing so-called analysts simply look at wins and losses. They don't bother to deep dive into the team he was on, ignoring the indisputable fact that the NFL is a team sport. Look at Brady, and what difference between having the talent of the Bucs around him vs the declining talent he had in NE. If these so-called analysts bothered to look at his production, not wins and losses it would tell a different story. Stafford's production was elite despite the limitations of the team he played on. Now he's on a team loaded on both sides of the ball. There is no reason not to expect his production to hit career-type numbers.

Once he's lifting that Lombardi for a few years suddenly he will be assumed to be an elite talent by these same detractors. What stupidity! This team has playmakers on both sides of the ball, and not just one but multiple playmakers on both offense and defense. IMO the only team that can beat the Rams are themselves, playing sloppy football. Bring their A-game each and every week and there isn't a team they can't beat.

This is the most complete team I've ever seen and I'm not just being a homer. There simply are not holes. Everyone points to ILB but it's a part-time position in a normal 3-4 hybrid scheme. Also, Reeder is an underrated MIKE who is going to get better each year. The d-line is outstanding, and so is the secondary. They are 3 deep at RB, 3 deep at TE (that's not counting Mundt because he might not make the team this year the minute they drafted Harris), 5 deep at WR, an elite talent at QB, and a solid backup in Wolford.

I will say it again. The Rams have the most complete team in the NFL and the best QB in the NFCW.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
If anyone did (does), you're right - it's stupid.

In reading your post, I was basically nodding in agreement, because I (still) like Goff, and those had been my views, until....

..the Seattle game where he threw that fucking horrendous INT. After calming down, I looked over at my wife and said, "That's fucking it. I can't defend this guy anymore, period".

So I am thrilled with the trade.

Oh dude Goff frustrated me and disappointed me more than just about anyone ever. His mistakes this season were flat out awful.

I'm thrilled about upgrading our QB spot with a guy I have always admired from afar. I'm so excited for this season because I am stoked about Stafford.

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Edit: Seeing as I didn’t name anyone and that there are still people claiming Stafford was not going to change anything and the trade was not worth the cost, I don’t get why anyone would be offended, unless of course they were one of the ones waiting to claim proof that the trade was a failure.

It really isn’t some far fetched idea that someone here would do such a thing. It’s not like the naysayers have never jumped the gun and come out too early. It happens almost every year.

It just seems unnecessarily divisive to me. Especially over something that hasn’t (and might never) happened yet. We were all a part of what went down here with the great Goff debate and it was draining I just think it’s time to let go and stop referring to people as a separate contingent or apologists or whatever. And even if it’s not your intention saying things like I bet a certain group of people can’t wait for this or that is just making this already drawn out debate go on and putting people against each other even more.

Edit: not saying this is all your doing or anything like that that either elm I got a lot of respect for you. Just kinda voicing my overall opinion in one place not that I think you’re the ring leader or the cause

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave

*seems* is the key word there isn't it?

There are no real ingredients in the pot you've been stirring... only what you've been projecting into it.
(Or so it seems to me)

Putting feelings aside and applying just a tiny bit of logic and it's obvious that the regulars here are the definition of loyal. We've experienced cross country relocations and decades of disappointment and you don't need a calculator to deduce that we're all among the most loyal Rams fans on the planet and even at our most petty, egotistical or self important, none of us want anything more than W's, playoff runs and a long and glorious run of Championship titles and league dominationand if we could get AD a few more DPOY awards while doing so, that'd be cool too.

I realize people suck and humanity can be pretty lame but we're all Rams fans here. We aren't Cowboys fans or Cheats fans or some 12th man bandwagoners... we're not scumbags.

BTW- I have no negative feelings about you or @Merlin . I appreciate what both of you bring to this site, even if we agree or not. Carry on fellas.
/end rant.

Karate61

There can be no excellence without effort.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
SportsBook Bookie
Camp Reporter
Name
Jeff
And I hate harping on this but we better have a capable center to hold the line for more than 2 secs or Stafford is going to be running around a lot. But that could be fun watching too lol.
Laughed out loud on that one!

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
*seems* is the key word there isn't it?

There are no real ingredients in the pot you've been stirring... only what you've been projecting into it.
(Or so it seems to me)

Putting feelings aside and applying just a tiny bit of logic and it's obvious that the regulars here are the definition of loyal. We've experienced cross country relocations and decades of disappointment and you don't need a calculator to deduce that we're all among the most loyal Rams fans on the planet and even at our most petty, egotistical or self important, none of us want anything more than W's, playoff runs and a long and glorious run of Championship titles and league dominationand if we could get AD a few more DPOY awards while doing so, that'd be cool too.

I realize people suck and humanity can be pretty lame but we're all Rams fans here. We aren't Cowboys fans or Cheats fans or some 12th man bandwagoners... we're not scumbags.

BTW- I have no negative feelings about you or @Merlin . I appreciate what both of you bring to this site, even if we agree or not. Carry on fellas.
/end rant.
But you didn’t address the last part. It happens, even here. It’s happened in the past. It’s not like I’m pulling a rabbit out of my ass. We’ve all seen it. It’s not an absurd idea.