Mason and Ireland on Case Keenum

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Bruce2980

Starter
I have read this before and I don't get it. What specifically do you mean Keenum can't stretch the field? Did he not throw a 40 yard pass down the left sideline to Kendricks yesterday?

Not taking sides in the Keenum versus Goff debate. Just stating that when the Rams run a play-action pass and a receiver runs down the field, Keenum has the arm strength to get the ball there.

To me, it's the offensive philosophy. If you put Goff in the game, are the Rams all of sudden going to start throwing the ball 30 - 40 yards downfield every other time they throw the ball? I don't think so. I was at camp in Irvine for 5 or 6 of the 11-on-11 practices and a majority of the time the passes go to short and intermediate routes.
Keenum can't get defenses out of an 8 and 9 man front, because they have more fear of Gurley's running game than they do Keenum's passing game. There are many throws that Keenum cannot make in this league and defenses know that, so they have less to worry about. A QB with a stronger arm, where the ball is on target and gets to the receiver faster is a big plus. If Goff can consistently complete passes 30 -40 and why not 50 -or 60 yard passes then why the hell not do it? Not saying that will happen, but if Goff can do it and the coaches don't change the game plan to complement Goff's talents, then the coaches need to be chased out of the NFL. You would NEVER find John Elway for example in our offense, his talents would get these coaches fired if they didn't open up the passing game. I believe that the reason for the majority of the plays to be short to intermediate is because that is the limitations of our starting QB. No point in game planning for 60 yard bombs when you don't have a QB that can throw the ball 60 yards, and I mean 60 yards in the air, not RAC and YAC, that would be pretty stupid.

Last edited:

ramsince62

Hall of Fame
they know very little about basketball...hence why they love DeAngelo Russell...and that lil armed guy at power forward....

And they know less about football.....Keenum has 2 turnovers in the 2016 season....it's not about what you know, it's what you can PROVE...

and, I know Goff was a turnover machine this preseason, but damn he throws a pretty ball...

Really? Did you really take the turn over remarks to literally mean that Keenum would or will NEVER turn the ball over?.....Really? :thinking::headexplosion:

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
I thought Keenum had a massively improved game this week over last week. He was throwing down field more (and being asked to throw down field more so credit to Boras too) and with success yet the running game still didn't get going and, until it does, drives will falter and the offense won't get many TDs.

Teams will watch what we did on Sunday and realise that we can throw the ball somewhere other than horizontally to Austin and will surely have to start respecting that which will mean fewer players stacking the box surely? I know it wasn't Drew Brees wearing 17 in blue and yellow on Sunday but it has to be enough to back them off a bit.

We'll see how Tampa Bay approach the game. I've read that their pass D is poor so Keenum should have some success (he'll have to cus I've also read that their run D is good).
Right on. People like to say that Tampa's defense isn't that great, yeah well it's not great at defending the pass, and we're not great at passing. So this is no cake walk for our team. But teams have had success running at them with a full back. So who knows, you may see Harkey out there quite a bit.

It's going to be interesting, and I rather expect the offense to struggle a bit.

Austin

Rookie
Name
Douglas
Not on Sunday. His numbers would've been better if Kenny didnt drop that 3rd down and Lance kept his feet in. He had a good game Sunday.

I don't see how a 0 touchdown game can be called a good game, sorry. Keenum did enough for our team to win under the condition of "Defense holds the other team to 8 or less points."

Look, I like Case, I genuinely do. Like everything I see about his work ethic, his approach, and I like his poise.

But his physical limitations are causing defenses to stack the box, and risk that he'll put a ball up in the air for Britt and Kendricks. And when he does, we can even get first downs! It just shouldn't be this hard. To reiterate, it's my belief he played poorly (awful would be hyperbole for this Sunday, but perhaps not if talking about the span of both games) on Sunday. Inaccurate throws and poor decisions in key moments. Like Peyton for the Broncos, he did enough for a great defense to win the game.

Just to go with it for a second, if this was Case's good game (9 points), what are we waiting for at this point?

It's hard to just throw the ball away when you are in the defenders arms almost immediately after the ball is snapped. Not his fault.

I'll agree, it's hard to do. However, the most egregious of these moments shows him pump-faking towards the sidelines while staring down a rushing [I believe it was Cliff Avril?] before taking the sack for a huge loss that puts us out of field goal range. Another happened on the final drive.

Those sacks can become fumbles, and at the very least result in degradations of field-position. That ball needs to be thrown away. You know the rush is coming. Check protection, see it break down, and throw it away. If you can't get the ball to the sideline on just your arm (which might be the case here, and under these circumstances?) it's another physical limitation that can greatly impact the team, which is tough to justify in a starting QB.

Well, when all else fails....

....Wasn't aware all else was failing, man. What, did you want me to say the offense was entirely Keenum's fault? We NEED touchdowns, unless we always expect the opposition to score 3 points. That's it. If you're satisfied with the (particularly redzone) playcalling and the drops... I guess that's cool for you. I'm just pointing out there's plenty of work this offense needs to do to get to mediocre, and they're not there yet.

Listen, I love the Rams, and I like all our players, and want to see them do well. I'm not a negative guy, and genuinely look for the bright angle on everything Rams-related. I would be thrilled to see Case lighting up the league, and read the narratives of the undersized guy with the big heart whom everyone was counting out, but who got it done, got the rams to the playoffs, and who knows from there...! But it hasn't happened. He's looked bad, limited, outmatched. I want that to change, especially if he's going to continue to start for us. Hope he picks Tampa Bay apart.

I just think it's more likely Goff is the guy that will do that, week in and week out. Yes, Goff, he who can't catch a shotgun snap and trips on his own lineman, and throws uncatchable balls right on peoples' hands.

That's about all I have to say on this topic.

Pulling for Case to have a great game on Sunday, if he is indeed starting. Would love to see this offense humming. Would love for it to happen consistently. Really.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Really? Did you really take the turn over remarks to literally mean that Keenum would or will NEVER turn the ball over?.....Really? :thinking::headexplosion:
When you say a guy is less prone to turning the ball over...Is a "ball security" type....Will make less mistakes...I take that literally as, "he'll protect the football & won't turn it over"....sorry if I took that the wrong way and the guy basically gives away 2 interceptions:puke:...and helps lose a very winnable game vs the 9ers:mad::palm:...

An old friend once said, it's about ceilings & floors.....We've seen Case's floor week 1:baghead:, which was a turnover filled mess :dizzy:of 3rd down ineffectiveness:death:....We've also gotten to see Case's ceiling....no turnovers:yay::banana:...and no td's either:shocked:..that's the Case we need, but still aren't guaranteed to win...

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
they know very little about basketball...hence why they love DeAngelo Russell...and that lil armed guy at power forward....

And they know less about football.....Keenum has 2 turnovers in the 2016 season....it's not about what you know, it's what you can PROVE...

and, I know Goff was a turnover machine this preseason, but damn he throws a pretty ball...

You saying I gotta trade in my favorite shirt for the Boogie Smooth edition?:LOL:

image.jpg

Ramlock

Here we f’n go, baby!
Name
Ramlock
I get this 100%
But you are still driving your Porsche under 2000 miles -- you need to drive the damn thing 2000 miles to get it to where you can let loose a bit

GOFF - zero miles

We need to put this guy in NOW and get break-in period over and done
Goff's odometer is rolling in practice

He'll get there but he's not there yet

Ramlock

Here we f’n go, baby!
Name
Ramlock
Keenum can't get defenses out of an 8 and 9 man front, because they have more fear of Gurley's running game than they do Keenum's passing game. There are many throws that Keenum cannot make in this league and defenses know that, so they have less to worry about. A QB with a stronger arm, where the ball is on target and gets to the receiver faster is a big plus. If Goff can consistently complete passes 30 -40 and why not 50 -or 60 yard passes then why the hell not do it? Not saying that will happen, but if Goff can do it and the coaches don't change the game plan to complement Goff's talents, then the coaches need to be chased out of the NFL. You would NEVER find John Elway for example in our offense, his talents would get these coaches fired if they didn't open up the passing game. I believe that the reason for the majority of the plays to be short to intermediate is because that is the limitations of our starting QB. No point in game planning for 60 yard bombs when you don't have a QB that can throw the ball 60 yards, and I mean 60 yards in the air, not RAC and YAC, that would be pretty stupid.
Neither Keenum nor Goff are Elway

8to12

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter

I hear what you're saying ; you don't think Keenum can get the ball downfield when the defense stacks the box to take away Gurley. My answer to this is that the philosophy and scheme doesn't give him many options. So, yes, it is the head coaches philosophy that is the problem.

Bruce2980

Starter
I hear what you're saying ; you don't think Keenum can get the ball downfield when the defense stacks the box to take away Gurley. My answer to this is that the philosophy and scheme doesn't give him many options. So, yes, it is the head coaches philosophy that is the problem.
And I think that the coach is coaching within the abilities of the players that he has on the team. Keenum can't get the ball downfield, look at his completion percentages when he is under a blitz and when under pressure for instance. He "always" goes to the first check down and constantly misses open receivers, even on his "good" days, that's not coaching, that's the QBs performance. Look at Goff during the preseason, without me looking at stats, I believe Goff has more downfield passes than Keenum does, and if he doesn't numbers wise, then he does percentage wise. It's the QB, not the coaching, IMHO. And Keenums' girly boy arm is the reason they drafted Goff and got rid of 6 draft picks. If you are right then these are the stupidest coaches and ownership in the NFL. No reason to draft a guy with a stronger arm than Keenum if your entire game plan is to throw to the nearest receiver, makes zero since, unless you are trying to destroy a franchise for the next 10 years.

Last edited: