Martz out in Chi-town.....

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
<a class="postlink" href="http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/01/03/mike-martz-out-as-bears-offensive-coordinator/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... ordinator/</a>

Posted by Michael David Smith on January 3, 2012, 2:15 PM EST
Mike Martz AP

Mike Martz is done in Chicago.

Martz has resigned as offensive coordinator of the Bears, citing philosophical differences, Dan Pompei of the Chicago Tribune reports.

It’s not clear what those philosophical differences are, and whether they’re with head coach Lovie Smith, or with the direction the team’s personnel department will go in now that G.M. Jerry Angelo has been fired.

Vaughn McClure of the Chicago Tribune reports that quarterbacks coach Shane Day is out as well. Day was hired at the same time as Martz, who has spent the last two seasons as offensive coordinator of the Bears. Martz was previously offensive coordinator in San Francisco, Detroit and St. Louis, as well as head coach of the Rams.

Now Smith will need to find an offensive coordinator who has a plan in place to build an offense that can succeed with quarterback Jay Cutler — and, Bears fans hope, an improved supporting cast around Cutler. That could mean promoting offensive line coach Mike Tice to the coordinator position, or it could mean completely revamping the offense by bringing in someone from the outside.

Anonymous

The maniacal squeaky plan nears completion. Now to go long adult diapers.
:sly:

bluecoconuts

Legend
I think the biggest thing I don't like about Martz is that he apparently doesn't allow the QB to change things up on the line. What you see is what you get sort of thing.

ljramsfan

Pro Bowler
Name
LJ
bluecoconuts said:
I think the biggest thing I don't like about Martz is that he apparently doesn't allow the QB to change things up on the line. What you see is what you get sort of thing.

That was my biggest rip on him when he was with the Rams

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
superfan24 said:
Other news:
Norv Turner and AJ Smith are retained in San Diego.

:yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:

Well for AJ Smith not coming here. I'd like Norv as OC.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
Why not at least interview the man?

Also, I'd think Marshall is on the phone today trying to convince SK to schedule an interview with MM. I betcha Marshall tries to sweeten the pot by saying that he'll get involved in organization on a day-to-day basis if MM comes with the deal. I'd be happy with that approach, just get someone strong in as President.

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
The only scenario I can see of Martz coming here is if he is hired as a coach that coaches, HC or OC.

I honestly didn't see that much wrong with his last tenure, outside of his personnel decisions, which shouldn't have been handed to him in the first place.

Disclaimer: I'm playing devil's advocate here. I'm not sure that I want him back.

TO management: when have we ever been satisfied with a HCs TOs?

Ego: Name a HC in the NFL who doesn't have an ego and I'll be incredulous. Martz' part in the dysfunction had more to do with Shaw and Zygmunt than anything, and they are gone. :crossed:

Pass happy: he's been through 2 situations in which he was asked to run more, which he did, very successfully in Chicago. Martz has always been creative with his RBs, sometimes to a fault.

QB killer: I always thought this an overrated con. If you pass a lot you risk your QB. Bulger was sacked MORE after Martz left, primarily because the Oline talent had been failing without any real replenishment. McD's offense certainly wasn't all that safe for Bradford.

Voluminous playbook: Coryell (Martz' source) is a different tree than the WCO, but it can't be more complicated than McD's, can it? 99 didn't show any problems for that crew in picking it up, though IIRC, the playbook wasn't so large then.

What does any of this mean? HIIK, but what we could expect from Martz a second time won't resemble the first.

superfan24

Starter
My friends that are Bears fans acted like I was high when I even mentioned the thought of Martz even being interviewed for the Rams HC job. Nonetheless, they did not want Martz back next year at all. He's been criticized all year for the Bears.

JdashSTL

Pro Bowler
superfan24 said:
My friends that are Bears fans acted like I was high when I even mentioned the thought of Martz even being interviewed for the Rams HC job. Nonetheless, they did not want Martz back next year at all. He's been criticized all year for the Bears.

Really? Did they already forget about Cutlers performance this year? I was actually pretty suprised by this news. I wonder if it has anything to do with Martz being linked to a college HC opening a while ago.

Anonymous

JdashSTL said:
superfan24 said:

Really? Did they already forget about Cutlers performance this year? I was actually pretty suprised by this news. I wonder if it has anything to do with Martz being linked to a college HC opening a while ago.

I like Martz a lot. But playing offense for him.....for no money? :whoa:

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
Ish. Just...not a fan at all. People bitch about Spags' personnel decisions or the mismanagement of draft picks. The Martz regime should be the text book guide of how NOT to run a football program. It was Dick V's program that he just took and ran into the ground.

I'd rather not go on about this one.

Anonymous

Warner4Prez said:
Ish. Just...not a fan at all. People bitch about Spags' personnel decisions or the mismanagement of draft picks. The Martz regime should be the text book guide of how NOT to run a football program. It was Dick V's program that he just took and ran into the ground.

Martz also took that offense to three consecutive 500 point seasons and two Super Bowls.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
squeaky wheel said:
Warner4Prez said:

Martz also took that offense to three consecutive 500 point seasons and two Super Bowls.
Yeah, probably best not to get too into that one. Great offensive coordinator. Horrible talent evaluator.

Both true.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Without hesitation....PASS on Martz in any capacity.

superfan24

Starter
JdashSTL said:
superfan24 said:

I didn't get all the complaining when the Bears were winning for the most part either. They were was a lot of bitching that he wasn't running with Forte enough when he was basically averaging 4 yards a carry. Then Hanie completely flopped...

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
Rather stay with McD for another year. But that won't happen.

Would have taken Turner in a second if they had canned him.

But I would take Martz if Fisher was the coach. And all he did was OC and deferred to Fisher. I'm sure when Fauk consults the first name out of his mouth would be Martz.

I can hear the "Shoot we'll fix that" as I type.

Who ever they end up with and whatever scheme they run they got to get some horses or it flat won't work.