Marshall Faulk vs Eric Dickerson

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Who did you love more?

• Marshall Faulk

Votes: 46 71.9%
  • Eric Dickerson

Votes: 18 28.1%

• Total voters

jap

Legend
As fast as Marshall was, Eric was even faster. Eric ran a legit 4.3 in the 40 and combined great power with great momentum. He could move the pile in a typical Larry Czonka-esque manner 4-5 yards at a pop. His upright running style threw a lot of people off because they didn't think he was trying hard even when he was giving it all he had. He was one of those special greats that made most of his runs look easy, no matter how unbelievably tough they really were. As a pure runner, he was tough to beat.

Marshall was so talented as a pass catcher, his patented one hand grabs became so common he almost made them look ordinary. A RB who had the ability to run legitimate WR patterns, he was certainly the best running/receiving threat this league has ever seen. Marshall knew the entire offense like a starting QB and at times would correct QBs Kurt Warner or Marc Bulger if they bungled the call in the huddle. He knew the complete set of blocking assignments of his OL and would display unreal patience waiting for the key blocks to be executed before shifting to Warp Five. Rarely has the term "student of the game" been more aptly applied to a more deserving player.

HeiseNBerg

Pro Bowler
I'm invoking the "Apples & Oranges" exemption. Seriously -- how do you decide between 2 guys that were icons during their time?!?

Psycho_X

Legend
Voting is going to be heavily influenced by age I'm assuming. I was 21 when we won the super bowl, it's sad to know I'll never have the attachment and feelings I had for that team and all of the players again. One of the many things I wish I could go back in time to experience again. So anyway, point being I have zero ties to the Dickerson era so it's a no contest for me and Faulk all the way. Guessing it's the same for people around my age and the opposite for those that were in their 20s in the 80s.

Jorgeh0605

You had me at meat tornado.
2023 ROD Fantasy Champion
Pretty much the same, I'm 24. I was 7 during the 99 season and I ate up every bit of that season and have been a Rams fan ever since. So I voted Marshall. But I never experienced ED.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
some of you young bucks....sheesh

I couldn't vote....I saw Dickerson...run vs stacked lines....Our only hope in playoff games get stifled. Rookie came in like a boss. I could never chose another Ram over this guy.

Marshall was special....but ED....man, that's a running back. ED was the new OJ Simpson. Marshall was kinda like Barry, with pass catching. He became a very good blocker AFTER Trent Green was injured by Rodney Harrison.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I went Dickerson. While I loved rooting for each it came down to one thing. When ED was here there was very little else to like on offense but Ellard and Slater. Compare that to the GSoT and that love gets shared a bit. Each were great and very worthy of the gold jacket. Dickerson though was the franchise.
While I agree with you a little about what Dickerson had with him on Offense, He had to deal with 4 Different QB's ( Ferragmo-Kemp-Brock-Bartkowski) in his time with the Rams. BUT he also had one of the Best O-Lines the Rams have ever had ( Slater-Harrah-Doug Smith-Newberry-Pankey) and by far better than Faulk had! NOT THAT THEY WHEREN'T GOOD!
My Vote goes to Faulk, not only was he a great Running back and Receiver, but he was like have another Coach right on the field! A truly great football mind!!(y):D

And I won't even get into the Great "D" Dickerson had on his Team!!;)

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Faulk6.jpg

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
While I agree with you a little about what Dickerson had with him on Offense, He had to deal with 4 Different QB's ( Ferragmo-Kemp-Brock-Bartkowski) in his time with the Rams. BUT he also had one of the Best O-Lines the Rams have ever had ( Slater-Harrah-Doug Smith-Newberry-Pankey) and by far better than Faulk had! NOT THAT THEY WHEREN'T GOOD!
My Vote goes to Faulk, not only was he a great Running back and Receiver, but he was like have another Coach right on the field! A truly great football mind!!(y):D

And I won't even get into the Great "D" Dickerson had on his Team!!;)
Perhaps, but give ED that passing game with Warner, Bruce Holt et al and that OLine you're criminally under rating and it's a title as well. Dickerson did everything he did vs stacked boxes. Faulk never had to run vs stacked boxes like ED did and he still put up records not likely to be broken with QBs that were laughably bad. Marshal was great but the things Eric did with the pig skin were amazing. Both were great and yet both were very different.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
This isn't the first time I've seen this poll regarding those two backs.

For me it's Faulk, he was so versatile. Best all around back ever.

Plus It's the only Rams jersey I have, and I'm quite proud of it :)

Ram65

Legend
Many people don't realize or remember that ED caught 51 passes his rookie year for a 7.9 average. I'm not saying he was as good as MF but he could catch the ball. He didn't have much QB support or lots of other offensive weapons around to capitalize on his pass catching ability.. Defenses stacked the box and ED still set rushing records. MF could do it all run, catch and block. Both were a great fun to watch. MF had a better overall supporting cast.

It would be interesting if we could magically have them change places and watch what would happen. I'm thinking more in terms with ED playing with the GSOT cast. Nice big target for Warner out of the backfield. Imagine Dickerson with a head of steam catching those Warner passes. Well, that's not going to happen. They are two running backs from two different Ram teams. Both are HOFers that I enjoyed equally.

RamsFlash80

Pro Bowler
Different players but I picked Marshall because he could do it all. I was a huge fan of his when he was at San Diego St. and would watch his games if they were on tv. Hes arguably the greatest all around RB ever. He was just a weapon. If you game planned to stop him in the run he would just destroy you catching the ball. ED was more like Adrian Peterson. Smooth, powerful, pure runner. To be fair I was too young to really enjoy ED like older fans so most I saw of him is highlights and my father talking about his greatness lol. As Rams fans we were spoilt over the years with great RBs thats for sure!

Last edited:

CanadaRam

No guts, No glory.
Name
Andrew
No better offence ever than GSOT. Without Faulk, they are not the same.

That said Dickerson is my pick.

Both were great Rams.

My reasoning if you trade the 2 with Dickerson on GSOT and Faulk on the eighties Rams, who does better.
Rams win with Dickerson on GSOT. Imagine him in the Bucs championship game. Rams would not have needed Proehl heroics.

I don't see Faulk being able to pound the rock in the eighties while Dickerson could catch the ball if needed

Last edited: