Marshall Faulk vs Eric Dickerson

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Who did you love more?

• Marshall Faulk

Votes: 46 71.9%
  • Eric Dickerson

Votes: 18 28.1%

• Total voters

InnovatedMind

NO MA'AM President
Name
Joe
Hey Ramly!

Just a curious question I wonder about...

Family of rams, who did you love more during their stays here? Who was a bigger impact to you as a fan of the Rams & Football? Also... Why? I'm torn between the two. Give me your thoughts, share your stories!

Marshall Faulk or Erick Dickerson?

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I went Dickerson. While I loved rooting for each it came down to one thing. When ED was here there was very little else to like on offense but Ellard and Slater. Compare that to the GSoT and that love gets shared a bit. Each were great and very worthy of the gold jacket. Dickerson though was the franchise.

rdw

Pro Bowler
Saw Dickerson play on tv as a kid and due to my age just wasn't able to appreciate his greatness as I would have had I been an adult. That's why I voted Faulk. Love 'em both though..

InnovatedMind

NO MA'AM President
Name
Joe
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Saw Dickerson play on tv as a kid and due to my age just wasn't able to appreciate his greatness as I would have had I been an adult. That's why I voted Faulk. Love 'em both though..

Same with me with Michael Jordan. I LOOVED him and the Bulls... but I just couldn't fully grasp how great he was.

ramfan46

Pro Bowler
I never got to see ED play so I'm super biased and frankly, unqualified. I chose Faulk. Best all around back I've ever seen and easily the best receiving back I've ever seen play. A young Tomlinson was close IMO.

The thing that makes Marshall so special was his football intelligence. He really was a coach on the field. That play in Tennessee where he picks up Hakim to avoid a penalty is next level football smarts.

Marshall was so good, he made SJ look mediocre following him up. I expected so much more out of a back after watching Marshall week in and out for a few years.

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
I went Dickerson. While I loved rooting for each it came down to one thing. When ED was here there was very little else to like on offense but Ellard and Slater. Compare that to the GSoT and that love gets shared a bit. Each were great and very worthy of the gold jacket. Dickerson though was the franchise.

Love ED as well - only jersey I own, but he had (arguably) the best Oline in the history of the NFL. As a pure running back, (different style), but better than MF.
As a leader and overall threat, not even close.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Very different guys with very different styles of play. I really appreciated what Dickerson brought to the table, I also thought (and still think) Georgia was the devil. Eric ran with the smoothness of a gazelle. When he was loose, it was all over. Marshall was just amazing with his twisting & turning, stop & going, making magical adjustments to blow around & through those mere mortals trying to stop him, and Marshall wasn't just a runner, he was a huge threat as a receiver. My early problem with Faulk was more personality based, his ego and reported treatment of fans on the one hand, his fathering of multiple kids with multiple partners on the other. Faulk was a major part of getting us thru and too a Super Bowl win, he's also gone on to become a truly top notch analyst, one of the best imo. He was like having a coach in the huddle, very intelligent & focused. Both players were/are great Rams and deserve every accolade received, including those gold jackets. I've come to appreciate them equally, and won't vote, as they were two gifted athletes that served us extremely well in very different ways when our team needed heroes. I'm just happy that they were Rams and own a piece of our great history. jmo.

Leuzer

Daniel Leu
I went Marshall Faulk simply because I was closer to his era than Dickerson's. I've seen full games of both players, though. If there's one thing this franchise has been blessed with, it's great running backs.

Zodi

Hall of Fame
Marshall, Marshall, Marshall.

Most complete back ever in my opinion. He was the heart and soul of the GSoT-- something like 50% of total offense during that three year period.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
ED 2105 will always be my favorite football player. I never followed any player as closely or thoroughly... and those were pre-internet days. I'd buy 3 different newspapers on Mondays and Tuesdays just to get my stats of Eric as accurate as possible.

There's never been anyone who runs the ball like him. Not even close. It was like artwork.

His throwback jersey is the only jersey I own. I always wear it to games.

During the GSOT years, I wore #28 on my beer league softball team. My name on the back was Faulked-Up. So I do appreciate some Marshall. I even have his autograph in my office at work.

But Eric Dickerson is the GOAT for me... and it ain't even close.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I am the opposite of some of you. the Eric Dickerson era of the LA Rams was truly great in retrospect. At the time, however, it always seemed to me that he was half-assing his runs, because it looked like he wasn't trying hard. Before ED, I liked power RB's like Cullen Bryant, John Capaletti, and Lawrence McCutcheon...Even better than them was the all time power RB, Earl Campbell, my favorite RB of all time. As others said, ED had one of the best Oline's of all time, so again, I appreciate him so much more because i realize the effortlessness was just his gazelle style.

Marshall was and is the GOAT for me. I have never seen such a complete weapon wearing horns, in all my days. I don't need to pull out videos of his runs and catches, because we all saw them. Going into the 4th quarter with a game on the line, Faulk would take over the game if given the opportunity...As much as the Patriots cheated, Mike Martz totally farked up not handing the game to Marshall to win, because he would have done it (IMHO). ED was great, but Marshall was the greatest Ram.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
I only went with Marshall because he was a complete back in a passing era. He could still truck the occasional person, but he was so elusive.

ED was, I think, the purest runner, maybe ever. Jim Brown and ED, 1 and 1a, imho.

If you watch that game, there were so many contacts that even running hard, he was flexible and nimble. He could truck a LB or simply bend and let his grasp slip away. And, honestly, how he not only kept his feet, but maintained his speed through the contact was...well it bordered on miraculous.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Sophie's Choice much? Lolz. As much as I love them both, I have to choose Marshall MF Faulk in this one. Dickerson may have been the most pure runner I have ever seen play this game. However.....Faulk is undoubtedly the best pure football player I have ever seen.

bnw

Pro Bowler
I only went with Marshall because he was a complete back in a passing era. He could still truck the occasional person, but he was so elusive.

ED was, I think, the purest runner, maybe ever. Jim Brown and ED, 1 and 1a, imho.

If you watch that game, there were so many contacts that even running hard, he was flexible and nimble. He could truck a LB or simply bend and let his grasp slip away. And, honestly, how he not only kept his feet, but maintained his speed through the contact was...well it bordered on miraculous.

Jim Brown was otherworldly in his era. It was like an 8th grader rushing against 1st graders. Best power RB ever. As great as his stats are he only played in 14 game seasons and retired early and on top. We don't know what he could have done. Barry Sanders is another. Yet Jim Brown's stats are better. I get the love for ED here but his 4.4 yards per pales in comparison to Brown's 5.2 or Sanders 5.0 IMO.

That said I appreciated watching Faulk and knew when the trade was announced that the team was going to be better. Faulk was different. He could do everything exceptionally well. I voted Faulk.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
I voted for ED. He was the first player that made me go "Wow". He's the reason I became a Ram faithful, without him I wouldn't have enjoyed the GSOT era or this post-apocalyptic football we've been playing recently.

I wouldn't be a member of this beautiful ROD world without ED.

bnw

Pro Bowler
Does anyone else get nervous throwing "ED" around?:cautious: