Mark Barron?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

paceram

Pro Bowler
Stupid Question - Exactly what position (Role) does Mark Barron play (Or, will he play?) in the Rams defense? I know he played Safety for the Tide but I thought I read somewhere that the Rams plan on using him in some kind of LB scheme. I really like Barron and I think he was an excellent acquisition for the Rams but I am just wondering how they plan on using him.

fearsomefour

Legend
They had him playing in a three safety scheme a lot....if my memory is right. 4 D lineman, 2 LBs, 2 CBs and 3 S....for a guy who is a box safety primarily this role makes sense. I like it for a couple of reasons. It allows a very athletic defense on the field. It allow for match up flexibility, particularly vs Os that have running/mobile quarterbacks. It also allows for flexible coverage/blitzing schemes because you have a guy in Barron that can play the run and blitz but is a DB. Maybe I am wrong but this is how I remember him being used.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
SS/LB hybrid. The Gamecocks call it the "Spur". You have a guy like Barron who has the pass coverage ability, the range and athleticism of a safety, but the run stopping power and blitzing ability of a linebacker. He can do anything, and that allows for a ton of versatility and you can do a lot of things out of this defense. You'll see Barron line up basically everywhere. They'll blitz him, have him man up on TEs, cover the flats, cover deep zone, basically everything.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I like him... just think they paid too much for him.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Wasn't there 2 picks involved?

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Stupid Question - Exactly what position (Role) does Mark Barron play (Or, will he play?) in the Rams defense? I know he played Safety for the Tide but I thought I read somewhere that the Rams plan on using him in some kind of LB scheme. I really like Barron and I think he was an excellent acquisition for the Rams but I am just wondering how they plan on using him.

Snead & Fisher are seriously well endowed with fast hard hitting large strong safeties. McDonald who is over 6-2 & easy over 220 depending on how big a meal he consumes & nothing but muscled & mean. Barron is chiseled & cut 6-2 215. Alexander was a smaller LBer until moved to SS & he is over 6-1 222 pounder. Cody Davis is 6-1 210 pounds and then there's Christian Bryant who is short but built like a cement block. Something is up with these numbers.

I do not think anyone who is not inside the Ram org. connected really knows what Gregg Williams plan is. But if I were to guess I would say that Jeff & Gregg has mushed there defensive minds to resurrect a new designed modern day version of the old 1980 Buddy Ryan 46 defense. Both these coaches were raised up under Buddy Ryan & was able to climb the ranks of coaching through those time periods. The 46 defense died out & is rarely seen on occasions by the sons of Buddy. Rex I think was the last one to run this style defense.

After landing two impact player like DT Donald & SS Barron & the shift of Brockers to NT the writing is just about on the wall. When Fisher lost Walton(2013) & hired Williams (2014) both these coaches styles are dynamically opposite each other. Gregg is all about being an offensive defense with nothing but attack just about 100% of the time. The main issue for Gregg is to figure out how to prevent & stop all those long pass completions that killed us late last season. The weakness of the old 46 defense. Not sure Trumaine Johnson is what Gregg needs as a starting corner in 2015.

fearsomefour is correct & LazyWinker is on target why Mark Barron was purchased with gold. But I am sure that Barron is a major key to what we see on the field in 2015.

Last edited:

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
Wasn't there 2 picks involved?

yeah a 6th rounder. Yes I know EJ Gaines was a 6th rounder but other than him I dont remember a 6th rounder that ever panned out into more than a special teamer for a few years that has made an impact on this team.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I think Barron was well worth what we spent on him! But I admit, I was worried at the Time!:D

Sleepy1711

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It was pretty fun watching Barron play, hard hitting and from what I saw covered pretty well.. Great value for the guy for sure.

Also on the plus is that his first name ain't Alex.. that is the only other Barron I know of and it wasn't great.

V3

Hall of Fame
SS/LB hybrid. The Gamecocks call it the "Spur". You have a guy like Barron who has the pass coverage ability, the range and athleticism of a safety, but the run stopping power and blitzing ability of a linebacker. He can do anything, and that allows for a ton of versatility and you can do a lot of things out of this defense. You'll see Barron line up basically everywhere. They'll blitz him, have him man up on TEs, cover the flats, cover deep zone, basically everything.
Not so sure about the pass coverage ability but I'm still fine with the trade. Snead knew this draft was weak so didn't mind spending the picks.

Noregar

Starter
Name
Roger
Size-speed comparison of Rams Lbs vs Safeties

Rams LB’s
Ht,Wt,40
JL 55: 6-2 245 - 4.8
Ogletree: 6-2 245 - 4.65
Dunbar: 6-0 235 - 4.8
Bates: 5-11 220 - 4.53
Toomer: 6-2 234 4.53
McFadden: 6-2 235 4.74

Rams Safeties
Ht,Wt,40
McDonald: 6-2 217 - 4.54
Barron: 6-2 213 4.54
Alexander:6-1 220 - 4.5
Davis: 6-1 205 - 4.41
Bryant: 5-9 198 - INJ
McLeod (RFA): 5-11 183 4.6

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
Not so sure about the pass coverage ability but I'm still fine with the trade. Snead knew this draft was weak so didn't mind spending the picks.

Obviously he's not a FS or CB or anything, but he has adequate pass coverage ability. Not someone you want to consistently rely on against WRs, but against TEs that's no problem. And that's his role.

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
fisher said during the last Jeff fisher show that they eventually want him at middle linebacker or something. idk how that's gonna work with JL but I swear that's what I heard so idk. I'm gonna go back and listen again

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I have a good feeling about him, hes going to develope into a beast under GW and Fish.

Agreed. IMO the real value with Barron is that he now has an aggressive and creative DC who is going to utilize his talent properly.

Nothing against Lovie, for whom I have immense respect. But his defense is not one that taps into Barron's strengths. That dude was born to play the 46 defense.