Mark Barron?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
fisher said during the last Jeff fisher show that they eventually want him at middle linebacker or something. idk how that's gonna work with JL but I swear that's what I heard so idk. I'm gonna go back and listen again

I think he was talking about Bates.

paceram

Pro Bowler
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
fisher said during the last Jeff fisher show that they eventually want him at middle linebacker or something. idk how that's gonna work with JL but I swear that's what I heard so idk. I'm gonna go back and listen again

Isn't Barron a little on the small side to be playing MLB? I can see him playing there in passing situations but unless he has gotten a little bigger he just seems a little light to me to be playing there full-time.

LosAngelesRams

Hall of Fame
Agreed. IMO the real value with Barron is that he now has an aggressive and creative DC who is going to utilize his talent properly.

Nothing against Lovie, for whom I have immense respect. But his defense is not one that taps into Barron's strengths. That dude was born to play the 46 defense.

I actually like Lovies defensive scheme but I agree with you 100%, Barron will shine in a aggressive defense. I wouldn't be surprised one bit if he emerges as a top 10 saftey next year. Im mad excited, we have some good talent at the saftey positions now.

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
Isn't Barron a little on the small side to be playing MLB? I can see him playing there in passing situations but unless he has gotten a little bigger he just seems a little light to me to be playing there full-time.
probably talking about passing downs but then still who commands the D on those downs then

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I think that another plus here with Barron is TJ McDonald is every bit as good. Both are Strong Safeties NOT deep free safety types, near the LOS is where they can do so much damage. Every yard back away from that LOS their big play begins to diminish. They will both play the majority of the time together @ the same time.

I think that Barron was just about ruined in Tampa. I bet Barron was in such a funk that he had to just about relearn to play his old successful style again all over. I would imagine that when we see the 2015 version in comparison to the 2014 version .....well it will be like night & day! Once Barron gears up & he puts on the mantle of LEADER of the secondary & sets the tune of degree of intensity fury ......watch out! WE really have no ideal.:sneaky:

Like I said earlier McDonald can do everything that Barron does and both on the field interchangeable really helps Gregg on calling the right defense.

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
I think he was talking about Bates.
yea your right. he better be hanging on JL's every word with a pen and paper 24/7 cus the next MLB better be as intelligent as JL so there is no falloff in whoever runs this complex defense on the field.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
Why wouldn't they try Tru in the FS spot (or deep safety) in the 3 S formations or Heavy nickel ... whatever it's called? I would go JJ and Gaines on the outside with Barron, TjMcD as the SS's and Tru back as deep help. they still have joyner and Roberson to man any other dime or nickel packages

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Why wouldn't they try Tru in the FS spot (or deep safety) in the 3 S formations or Heavy nickel ... whatever it's called? I would go JJ and Gaines on the outside with Barron, TjMcD as the SS's and Tru back as deep help. they still have joyner and Roberson to man any other dime or nickel packages

Johnson is not going to like being beat out of a starting position in 2015 especially going into his first big NFL contact after 2015. Johnson will want to start somewhere. Gaines is clearly our best general all around starting CB. JJ is highly probable to start opposite him. McGee is coming back from IR to be the 3rd corner then Robinson is the 4th corner. Joyner is the starting Nickle back & 5th CB so where does Johnson fit? Certainly not the 6th corner....he going to want to start where there could be a opening.

Only real opening in the unforeseen future is @ deep free safety. The 6-2 210 pound Johnson has some very good skills & talents to add to that free safety post. Johnson does have a real good set of hands. If Johnson was able to make an impact @ deep safety as a starter in 2015 along with his previous starting corner experience he would be a hot commodity as a UFA DB in 2016. A nice size contract could be awaiting for him.

Last edited:

Jorgeh0605

You had me at meat tornado.
2023 ROD Fantasy Champion
Snead & Fisher are seriously well endowed with fast hard hitting large strong safeties. McDonald who is over 6-2 & easy over 220 depending on how big a meal he consumes & nothing but muscled & mean. Barron is chiseled & cut 6-2 215. Alexander was a smaller LBer until moved to SS & he is over 6-1 222 pounder. Cody Davis is 6-1 210 pounds and then there's Christian Bryant who is short but built like a cement block. Something is up with these numbers.

I do not think anyone who is not inside the Ram org. connected really knows what Gregg Williams plan is. But if I were to guess I would say that Jeff & Gregg has mushed there defensive minds to resurrect a new designed modern day version of the old 1980 Buddy Ryan 46 defense. Both these coaches were raised up under Buddy Ryan & was able to climb the ranks of coaching through those time periods. The 46 defense died out & is rarely seen on occasions by the sons of Buddy. Rex I think was the last one to run this style defense.

After landing two impact player like DT Donald & SS Barron & the shift of Brockers to NT the writing is just about on the wall. When Fisher lost Walton(2013) & hired Williams (2014) both these coaches styles are dynamically opposite each other. Gregg is all about being an offensive defense with nothing but attack just about 100% of the time. The main issue for Gregg is to figure out how to prevent & stop all those long pass completions that killed us late last season. The weakness of the old 46 defense. Not sure Trumaine Johnson is what Gregg needs as a starting corner in 2015.

fearsomefour is correct & LazyWinker is on target why Mark Barron was purchased with gold. But I am sure that Barron is a major key to what we see on the field in 2015.

Like a good mix of the 46 and a 4-3 under defense. Idk maybe a 46 nickel? I think that is how you could get around the deep passes, since the original 46 didn't 3 safeties, just two. That would fit our personnel nicely and give use a ton of versatility without having to sub much. I think our defense could do historic things this year.

Amitar

Pro Bowler
Name
Amitar
I did not like the trade at first. But after hearing that the 2015 draft is weaker then the 2014 draft trading a 4th and 6th round pick for Barron makes a lot of sense. And if Williams wanted him then it's extra OK with me.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Fisher said they don't like the depth of this draft class. So giving up a a forth and sixth in a shallow draft is not a big deal. In weak classes it is hard to find spot starters that late, much less players good enough to unseat your regular starters.

What Fisher was saying about Bates is that he thinks he could p,ay MLB in the league some day.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I would really like to see Barron on the field more...primarily near the line of scrimmage....I would hope with the addition of Barron the Rodney McLeod experiment is over....
Kinda nice to have an abundance of DB talent for once....
Would like to see Mo Alexander take over Barron's spot as a package-type player...Get him some reps on the field....I see an impact player in that kid too....