Mariota, Winston or Hundley?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Marriota sure had himself a game last night.

I think he's going to be a heck of a QB, but I also agree you can't trade the farm to get up to get him, but I expect great things from him on Sundays.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
I think he's going to be a heck of a QB, but I also agree you can't trade the farm to get up to get him, but I expect great things from him on Sundays.

Depends on what the farm is - and also their realistic expectations of Sam.

I could see trading the entire 2015 draft for him.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Depends on what the farm is - and also their realistic expectations of Sam.

I could see trading the entire 2015 draft for him.

It would take more that's only a first, second, third, fifth and a seventh....It will take more.

moklerman

Warner-phile
I wonder if Oakland or Jacksonville would give up on their young QB's and take Mariotta? If not, they should both be in a good position to really improve their drafts.

Athos

Legend
2016 and 2017 1sts.

That's what I keep saying and that's what I stay at. Take it or leave it. If the team in questions leaves it, sign Hundley and pray for Bradford.

FRO

Legend
jrry32 - Since Marriota & Winston won't be available when the Rams pick (Unless the Rams trade up or Winston gets in more trouble which hopefully won't happen) which QB would you target and what round would you select him? Doesn't seem to be a very good year for QB's but maybe there are some sleepers out there?
I like Grayson. You can't force a pick just because it's a need though. The Rams need so shore up the position before the draft. Let's hope Hill plays well these next few games. He and Bradford may be our option.

FRO

Legend
Anybody else scared about the lack of success the running QB has had in the NFL? Mike Vick was supposed to revolutionize the position. That faded away, them RGIII and Kaepernick were supposed to be the future. Now we are hearing about it's all about the pocket QB. Anybody confident that Mariota can succeed in the pocket, reading defenses, going through progressions? He hasn't had to do it much in college. I see the talent there, but RGIII did the same stuff at Baylor. If we had the opportunity to draft him without trading up, it would be a no brainer, but I'm not moving up for him. Am I alone?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
jrry32 - Since Marriota & Winston won't be available when the Rams pick (Unless the Rams trade up or Winston gets in more trouble which hopefully won't happen) which QB would you target and what round would you select him? Doesn't seem to be a very good year for QB's but maybe there are some sleepers out there?

At this point, I don't. I can't get behind the idea of targeting a QB to target a QB. Gotta have a guy I want. Beyond those two, I'm not feeling good about any of the guys I've seen thus far.

Grayson has been the best I've seen thus far.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I will say this in Winston's defense, his TD to Int ratio in the second half is 10 to 4 while it's 11 to 13 in the first half. His YPA jumps 2 yards and his completion percentage 6% in the second half of games.

What that signals to me is that Winston adjusts. The longer he sees a defense, the better he plays. I think that's a good thing. Now, he just needs to come out stronger in the first half.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I will say this in Winston's defense, his TD to Int ratio in the second half is 10 to 4 while it's 11 to 13 in the first half. His YPA jumps 2 yards and his completion percentage 6% in the second half of games.

What that signals to me is that Winston adjusts. The longer he sees a defense, the better he plays. I think that's a good thing. Now, he just needs to come out stronger in the first half.

IMO the sky is the limit on the field and he'll be playing in a large market in New York or close to home with the Buccaneers.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Anybody else scared about the lack of success the running QB has had in the NFL? Mike Vick was supposed to revolutionize the position. That faded away, them RGIII and Kaepernick were supposed to be the future. Now we are hearing about it's all about the pocket QB. Anybody confident that Mariota can succeed in the pocket, reading defenses, going through progressions? He hasn't had to do it much in college. I see the talent there, but RGIII did the same stuff at Baylor. If we had the opportunity to draft him without trading up, it would be a no brainer, but I'm not moving up for him. Am I alone?
I've only seen Mariota a few times this year.
Last night for exsample. I saw some pretty amazing plays by him. Unfortunately, I also saw some plays where he entirely missed on wide open receivers that he should have hit. He had great pass pro as well, so there should have been no reason to miss them.
IDK. I just don't see anyone at the moment that is better than Bradford.
I certainly don't want to offer another team the same deal Washington gave us just to move up.
I also don't want to start a rookie.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I'm liking what I'm seeing so far in Trevone Boykin. Need to see more but if he comes out, he might be that 2nd round developmental QB to put behind Bradford. He really reminds me of RGIII in college in terms of on the field play. That's not a negative to me. I thought RGIII had a lot of developmental potential. And I don't know if Boykin has that same sort of ego and personality issues.

The big concern I had was the lack of anticipation throws. But I liked the way he reacted and adjusted to blitzes. Plus, he's an extremely athletic QB that operates as a pocket passer. Doesn't run unless he has to. Doesn't rely on scrambling ability. Does a nice job of staying in the pocket and trying to win with his arm.

Still needs development but thus far, he's the best I've seen after Mariota and Winston. Still gotta see more film on him before my evaluation is complete but I think I like him better than Hundley.

FRO

Legend
I'm liking what I'm seeing so far in Trevone Boykin. Need to see more but if he comes out, he might be that 2nd round developmental QB to put behind Bradford. He really reminds me of RGIII in college in terms of on the field play. That's not a negative to me. I thought RGIII had a lot of developmental potential. And I don't know if Boykin has that same sort of ego and personality issues.

The big concern I had was the lack of anticipation throws. But I liked the way he reacted and adjusted to blitzes. Plus, he's an extremely athletic QB that operates as a pocket passer. Doesn't run unless he has to. Doesn't rely on scrambling ability. Does a nice job of staying in the pocket and trying to win with his arm.

Still needs development but thus far, he's the best I've seen after Mariota and Winston. Still gotta see more film on him before my evaluation is complete but I think I like him better than Hundley.
I thought I read he was going back to school, that's why I didn't even bother looking him up.

paceram

Pro Bowler

How much would you be willing to trade to move up to get Marriota or Winston?

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
A first and a second.

Actually I would do a first and a third this year and next if you really believe in the guy. One has to remember that if that trade actually consummates, it's only two thirds and a first because you receive their first round to take the QB.

Now that's if you only believe in the guy, however, I would never trade three first round picks like the Redskins did. If the Skins had traded only two firsts they would have been fine, but that third first round pick and finishing where they did gave the Rams a top five pick.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik

I like QB's who can run (e.g., Rodgers, Elway in his prime, Steve Young). Running QB's (Kap, RG3, Kordell Stewart) ... no so much.

Those guys who are supposed to revolutionize the position never do. The bottom line is that NFL QB is at first a passing position, and guys who are proficient at that can be successful whether they are good runners or not. The guys who are known as running QB's may have some success for a limited time, but it always seems their running ability is used to mask their deficiencies as a passer, and eventually that catches up to them.

FRO

Legend
I like QB's who can run (e.g., Rodgers, Elway in his prime, Steve Young). Running QB's (Kap, RG3, Kordell Stewart) ... no so much.

Those guys who are supposed to revolutionize the position never do. The bottom line is that NFL QB is at first a passing position, and guys who are proficient at that can be successful whether they are good runners or not. The guys who are known as running QB's may have some success for a limited time, but it always seems their running ability is used to mask their deficiencies as a passer, and eventually that catches up to them.
Totally agree. I don't mind a QB who can run. I just don't like when it's the first instinct of a QB.

moklerman

Warner-phile
Current top 13 picks in 2015:

1. Buccaneers(need a QB)
2. Titans(probably need a QB)

3. Jaguars - probably stay with Bortles
4. Jets - need a QB
5. Raiders - probably stay with Carr
6. Redskins - need a QB but might actually stay with RGME
7. Giants - Eli
8. Panthers - Cam
9. Saints - Brees
10. Bears - who knows what they'll decide about Cutler
11. Vikings - probably stay with Teddy
12. Rams
13. Texans - will they stick with Mallett/Harvard?

It's awfully crowded at the top of the draft with teams that need to take a QB. As it stands right now, even if the Rams wanted to move up, it seems it would cost a lot to do it. Behind the Rams, Buffalo, SF and Philly might be dark horses to make a move for QB too.

Is anyone confident enough with Winston/Mariotta/Hundley to get into a bidding war? I'm not.