Manti Te'o lied about girlfriend and her death

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

bluecoconuts

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
superfan24 said:
bluecoconuts said:
Yep, I'm thinking the original story is probably correct. It's all damage control now. If it was a hoax, it was one hell of a hoax. Why would some random women agree to be someone she's not and sleep on the phone because her male friend asked? It doesn't make sense.

I think he slips regardless.

Swarbrick is saying that they thought the offenders could be going for some extortion scheme when he gets all the NFL money.

Why kill her off though? And why then? Obviously if that was the case, Manti is dumb enough to believe them they could have gone longer. And if they were smart enough to create that deep and complex of a ruse, they wouldn't risk killing her off during the season because of the risk that it shocked him and his play went downhill from it. (If they were looking to get money to the family or something).... I dunno, to me it seems like it may have started off long ago with Manti not knowing, but it didn't last forever. Teammates would have known he met her online, etc if that was the case, and the story would have been out earlier. With all the illnesses and families talking to her, I have to think it was all just BS from the start and he knew it. He used her to get attention for votes. The death lines up with that as well.

superfan24

Starter
bluecoconuts said:
superfan24 said:
bluecoconuts said:
Yep, I'm thinking the original story is probably correct. It's all damage control now. If it was a hoax, it was one hell of a hoax. Why would some random women agree to be someone she's not and sleep on the phone because her male friend asked? It doesn't make sense.

I think he slips regardless.

Swarbrick is saying that they thought the offenders could be going for some extortion scheme when he gets all the NFL money.

Why kill her off though? And why then? Obviously if that was the case, Manti is dumb enough to believe them they could have gone longer. And if they were smart enough to create that deep and complex of a ruse, they wouldn't risk killing her off during the season because of the risk that it shocked him and his play went downhill from it. (If they were looking to get money to the family or something).... I dunno, to me it seems like it may have started off long ago with Manti not knowing, but it didn't last forever. Teammates would have known he met her online, etc if that was the case, and the story would have been out earlier. With all the illnesses and families talking to her, I have to think it was all just BS from the start and he knew it. He used her to get attention for votes. The death lines up with that as well.

Sorry maybe I am being naive but this is not Manti Te'o. Listen to Swarbrick break down talking about him or talk to the parents of a dying child that Manti sent a letter to without anyone knowing or everyone student/staffer/anyone ever in contact with Manti saying he is not fake and is genuinely an amazing human being.
Why would ND continue to back him with all the info they have now including things that we do not know if Manti is lying? Plus talking extensively with Manti and his parents about this.
And again it could have been a very cruel and sick joke by the offenders.
I was in tears listening to Manti at the Michigan pep rally and this news has made me sick, but I just cannot believe that Manti would do this to everyone as of right now

superfan24

Starter
Selassie I said:
Happy WE don't need a MLB.

He played like a scared bitch against Bama if you ask me. Certainly didn't play like a Warrior,,, this Haole, who grew up as a young shyte in Pearl City, was very disappointed in his lack of fight.

Now this. freak Brah.

Well if he was truly a victim of this scheme I guess its understandable the way he played. Gawd I wouldn't be able to function.

superfan24

Starter
Username said:
X said:
bluecoconuts said:
Now rumors are coming out that he's gay and it was a cover. Which doesn't really make sense, since you don't need to make a fake girlfriend and kill her off to prove your straight.

This is probably going to become weirder before clearer.
The Athletic Director is saying T'eo was the victim of an elaborate hoax. I dunno WHAT to believe anymore. The original story (the inspirational story) doesn't lend to the idea that he was being played, but I dunno. All I care about is it making him slip down the boards and fall in Snead's lap.

I would rather the Rams draft someone whose been arrested 8 times than this dude now.

You obviously do not know anything about him.

superfan24

Starter
I think we call agree that we look forward to hearing from him tomorrow. At least I know I am.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
superfan24 said:
Selassie I said:

He played like a scared bitch against Bama if you ask me. Certainly didn't play like a Warrior,,, this Haole, who grew up as a young shyte in Pearl City, was very disappointed in his lack of fight.

Now this. freak Brah.

Well if he was truly a victim of this scheme I guess its understandable the way he played. Gawd I wouldn't be able to function.

How in the fuck would he be the victim of a scheme here? Unless he's the dumbest shit on the face of the planet?

He made up a lie for whatever reason and it went too far. Then he used it for attention. Now, instead of telling the truth, he and ND are making it even worse by trying to make him a fucking victim.

The only way he saves anything reputation or character wise is if he just comes out and tells the truth.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Username said:
superfan24 said:
Selassie I said:

Now this. freak Brah.

How in the fuck would he be the victim of a scheme here? Unless he's the dumbest shit on the face of the planet?

He made up a lie for whatever reason and it went too far. Then he used it for attention. Now, instead of telling the truth, he and ND are making it even worse by trying to make him a fucking victim.

The only way he saves anything reputation or character wise is if he just comes out and tells the truth.

He won't be able to salvage anything if this is true. Hell, his own parents won't be able to fully trust him after this, let alone an NFL team. This is lying on a Lance Armstrong-scale, and it's going to utterly kill his stock.

superfan24

Starter
Username said:
superfan24 said:
Selassie I said:

Now this. freak Brah.

How in the freak would he be the victim of a scheme here? Unless he's the dumbest shyte on the face of the planet?

He made up a lie for whatever reason and it went too far. Then he used it for attention. Now, instead of telling the truth, he and ND are making it even worse by trying to make him a freaking victim.

For all the reasons I stated previously. Why the fuck would he make this up? The same way that Swarbrick described in the presser.
Listen to those close to him: teammates who were with him when the supposed phone call for the death notice took place or Zeke Motta and his father.
Ya it seems incredibly stupid especially when there was no obituary, records at Stanford, etc....
but as Swarbrick said Te'o was the most trustworthy person he has met and from everything I've heard/seen about him I believe that about Te'o.

superfan24

Starter
Memento said:
Username said:
superfan24 said:
Selassie I said:

Now this. freak Brah.

How in the freak would he be the victim of a scheme here? Unless he's the dumbest shyte on the face of the planet?

He made up a lie for whatever reason and it went too far. Then he used it for attention. Now, instead of telling the truth, he and ND are making it even worse by trying to make him a freaking victim.

He won't be able to salvage anything if this is true. Hell, his own parents won't be able to fully trust him after this, let alone an NFL draft team. This is lying on a Lance Armstrong-scale, and it's going to utterly kill his stock.

I agree with that IF this is true and played along....just can't believe it right now.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
superfan24 said:
I agree with that IF this is true and played along....just can't believe it right now.
Sorry, dude. I know you like the guy and are a big ND fan. I hope, for your sake, it's not true; but it just doesn't look good right now. And even if it is true, I don't think it makes him a risk in the NFL. It just makes him a pathological liar, and there's probably more than one of those in the NFL right now.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
Memento said:
Username said:
superfan24 said:
Selassie I said:

Now this. freak Brah.

He won't be able to salvage anything if this is true. Hell, his own parents won't be able to fully trust him after this, let alone an NFL draft team. This is lying on a Lance Armstrong-scale, and it's going to utterly kill his stock.

Everyone makes mistakes. It's not like he killed someone. Well, I guess he did figuratively, not literately ha.

In this case coming out and telling the truth, the ACTUAL truth, I think could help him a lot. Draft wise at least. Everyone is confused that's why. If he comes out and says he was a young attention staved kid, or playing a prank that got him attention he enjoyed and went too far, I think it'll clear the air and repairing his reputation can begin.

I do partly agree that this could've hurt his performance in the bowl game too. Knowing that it was about to come to fruition could've been on his mind for the whole month build up draining him.

superfan24

Starter
X said:
superfan24 said:
Sorry, dude. I know you like the guy and are a big ND fan. I hope, for your sake, it's not true; but it just doesn't look good right now. And even if it is true, I don't think it makes him a risk in the NFL. It just makes him a pathological liar, and there's probably more than one of those in the NFL right now.

Nope I gotcha and I completely understand why people do not believe him cause I certainly have questions myself.
Agreed don't think it has a hit on his draft stock either. NFL GM's will draft anybody to improve their team no matter what the perception of that player is.

superfan24

Starter
Username said:
Memento said:
Username said:
superfan24 said:
Selassie I said:

Now this. freak Brah.

Everyone makes mistakes. It's not like he killed someone. Well, I guess he did figuratively, not literately ha.

In this case coming out and telling the truth, the ACTUAL truth, I think could help him a lot. Draft wise at least. Everyone is confused that's why. If he comes out and says he was a young attention staved kid, or playing a prank that got him attention he enjoyed and went too far, I think it'll clear the air and repairing his reputation can begin.

I do partly agree that this could've hurt his performance in the bowl game too. Knowing that it was about to come to fruition could've been on his mind for the whole month build up draining him.

Playing the Te'o side again lol, Swarbrick did say that he found out it was all a hoax in December. Of course if Manti is being honest with this. But couldn't phone records prove this as well?

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
X said:
superfan24 said:

On this scale, though? The report is saying that Te'o lied about someone dying to the entire nation for Heisman votes (because I can't think of any other reason he'd do that). It takes a really cold-hearted person to pull a stunt like this.

I don't know if it's true or not at the moment, but if it is and you're a teammate or a coach, how can you ever trust him to do or say the right thing and know that he probably isn't telling the truth? Vontaze Burflict and Adarius Bowman went undrafted for much less than this.

superfan24

Starter
Memento said:
X said:
superfan24 said:

On this scale, though? The report is saying that Te'o lied about someone dying to the entire nation for Heisman votes (because I can't think of any other reason he'd do that). It takes a really cold-hearted person to pull a stunt like this.

I don't know if it's true or not at the moment, but if it is and you're a teammate or a coach, how can you ever trust him to do or say the right thing and know that he probably isn't telling the truth? Vontaze Burflict and Adarius Bowman went undrafted for much less than this.

Well the made up person died before the third game of the season after ND beat a Purdue that was supposed to be mediocre the rest of the year and Manti didn't have an eye-opening game so this was NOT about Heisman votes. It wasn't part of the equation at that point.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Memento said:
X said:
superfan24 said:

Dunno, Mem. I think we'll have to let this play out and see how it ends up. Teams are going to do their own interview and psych testing with him, so who knows what will come of that. Aside from this (which I agree is huge), he doesn't have any character issues that point to a pattern. Not that I know of, anyway. And the fact that so many people close to him are rushing to his defense, tells me something.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
superfan24 said:
Username said:
superfan24 said:
Selassie I said:

Now this. freak Brah.

For all the reasons I stated previously. Why the fuck would he make this up? The same way that Swarbrick described in the presser.
Listen to those close to him: teammates who were with him when the supposed phone call for the death notice took place or Zeke Motta and his father.
Ya it seems incredibly stupid especially when there was no obituary, records at Stanford, etc....
but as Swarbrick said Te'o was the most trustworthy person he has met and from everything I've heard/seen about him I believe that about Te'o.

So who was the girl he saw? Did she resemble the girl they used for her twitter and facebook photos so closely that it didn't matter?

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
superfan24 said:
Selassie I said:

Now this. freak Brah.

While we're composing conspiracy theories labeling Te'o a liar, let's ask how Te'o found out it was a hoax. The article I read said that Swarbrick was told by Te'o and his parents on Dec. 26th. Think about the timing of that. Think about betting lines.

If Te'o didn't know, and found out just 10 days before the big game that all the motivation he'd been carrying all season was bogus, that's a very large rug pulled out from under him. I recall reading (I didn't watch the game) that Te'o was described as trying too hard to carry the team. ND's defense was their strength; what better way to sabotage them than by damaging the heart of it?

I don't know the truth. I don't know Te'o like super. But the rush to judgement doesn't feel right either.

superfan24

Starter
Username said:
superfan24 said:
Username said:
superfan24 said:
Selassie I said:

Now this. freak Brah.

For all the reasons I stated previously. Why the freak would he make this up? The same way that Swarbrick described in the presser.

So who was the girl he saw? Did she resemble the girl they used for her twitter and facebook photos so closely that it didn't matter?

The girl he supposedly met at the end of the Stanford game is what I'm most confused about. Swarbrick said that Manti told him when saying they "met" means talking online.
I'll find the tweet, but someone (reporter) said immediately after the deadspin story came out that if there is one person who could trust people enough to be duped by this it would be Manti Te'o.

bluecoconuts

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Why would he talk about seeing her in Hawaii if he didn't know anything? No matter how you slice it, he lied.