Mannion and preseason

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

…..

Legend
San Diego once traded Drew Brees because of too much QB greatness in their locker room.....

So....it can happen.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Well, understand, I was just funnin.

It's all pure fantasy. Keenum's the starter and they are going to throw as many reps at Goff as they can spare. It's going to be Davis/Keenum all over again for Mannion. He's going to be left with scraps...again.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I never hear NY fans complaining about the Giants drafting Ryan Nassib. I'm fine if Mannion becomes the #2 QB for the next 2-3 seasons

Rams43

Hall of Fame
The QB room is gonna be tricky for a year or two, don't you think?

The rookie will eventually be a 12-15 year fixture. He damned well better be. 'Course, the Redskins were thinking that way about RG3 once upon a time. But I digress.

But isn't Keenum our probable '16 starter? At least for 6-8 games? More, if he's winning. So he's non tradable this year.

So how to utilize Mannion? Surely he deserves a chance. But how big, and when? He needs to impress coaches, and quickly. No long runway for Mannion.

Clearly no room for Foles. That one is easy. Just trade him for a pick or player, if at all possible.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
So, what happens if Goff is on the bench 6 games in and the Rams are 6-0 with Mannion at QB? with the 3rd toughest schedule in the NFL?

I'm just asking the question...

We celebrate.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The QB room is gonna be tricky for a year or two, don't you think?

I think it's moreso competition 43. And that is always a good thing, for a player to know he doesn't want to step out because that guy behind him is breathing down his neck on the depth chart...

The great thing about QBs is they can ALWAYS be flipped for picks. Teams always need them. Rams should be entering a window where they have their guy, so the true competition should be for the temp then backup role.

Foles will be traded. That leaves Keenum and Mannion in a pitched battle for the temp job and eventual backup role. This means Mannion will get a lot of looks in preseason and the opportunity to shine. And if he responds with good play it's great news for the Rams regardless of whether he beats out Keenum.

Tailback

Starter
Name
Taco Jones
Very true and then Rams trade him down the road for draft choices. Eventually I give Keenum one more year and then Mannion becomes the back-up to Goff, which is not a bad thing because with the selection of Goff, this unit just got better.

I agree. Trade Foles before camp. Keenum and 1st rounder (probably Goff) get majority of snaps with Mannion 3rd. Keenum starts first couple of games, then Goff (?) take over as starter. Trade Keenum in following off season and draft a developmental QB to become 3rd behind Mannion.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I agree. Trade Foles before camp. Keenum and 1st rounder (probably Goff) get majority of snaps with Mannion 3rd. Keenum starts first couple of games, then Goff (?) take over as starter. Trade Keenum in following off season and draft a developmental QB to become 3rd behind Mannion.
Well, keenum is only under contract for this season...

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Trade Keenum in following off season and draft a developmental QB to become 3rd behind Mannion.

I concur like defensive back you have to keep replenishing the Quarterback position. This regime ignored that with Sam Bradford and paid the price.

StealYoGurley

Pro Bowler
Trading young backup QBs rarely happens because the value proposition usually doesn't work out. Thats why you dont see guys like Garopolo, McCarron, Mettenberger, Glennon, or Cousins (before he took RG3's job) traded despite persistent rumors. The team with that solid young backup wants as much value as possible for the guy because there aren't enough starters in the league let alone backups and they have that guy signed cheaply. On the other hand teams in the QB market don't want to overpay for a limited sample size and end up with Matt Cassell, Kevin Kolb, or any other backup QB who fails after a team trades for a backup with limited reps.

When you add all those things up I don't see Mannion going anywhere anytime soon. If he turns out just to be a solid backup we hit on that pick and he is far from a waste. Plus Keenum is a UFA next year having a backup QB going into year 3 with the team is incredibly valuable.

StealYoGurley

Pro Bowler
San Diego once traded Drew Brees because of too much QB greatness in their locker room.....

So....it can happen.

Brees wasn't traded he signed with the Saints as an UFA coming off major shoulder surgery. Chargers let him walk because of the injury and the presence of Philip Rivers.

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
I think it's moreso competition 43. And that is always a good thing, for a player to know he doesn't want to step out because that guy behind him is breathing down his neck on the depth chart...

The great thing about QBs is they can ALWAYS be flipped for picks. Teams always need them. Rams should be entering a window where they have their guy, so the true competition should be for the temp then backup role.

Foles will be traded. That leaves Keenum and Mannion in a pitched battle for the temp job and eventual backup role. This means Mannion will get a lot of looks in preseason and the opportunity to shine. And if he responds with good play it's great news for the Rams regardless of whether he beats out Keenum.

But that's not logistically how it is likely to work.

You've got a Bridge QB in Keenum who Fisher will likely want prepared to start the season and a #1 overall pick who will get as many reps as he needs to get the development he needs.

Oh...and there's Mannion.

I seriously have no idea why keep Mannion.

Keep Keenum as the long term backup (he's proven that he's basically a backup that can start and win games in a pinch) and that's a valuable commodity.

The Rams have no damn idea what they have in Mannion and for the second season in a row, they're in no position to spend half a second to find out. It totally wouldn't surprise me to see Mannion play with the 2nd string in the first game and by the 2nd preseason game, be relegated to the 3rd string with Goff getting plenty of snaps.

With Foles having no value this year and most of his money already paid and with us having so few picks this year, it seems like it make WAY more sense to trade Mannion who should have decent trade value in this draft class.

If Foles is dealt this draft and Keenum dealt next year or let go, what do the Rams have, even if Goff is all that we hope? The Rams will have two years of looking at Mannion with a few practice reps and a couple of snaps in preseason and that's supposed to be the backup in case Goff goes down? If not and they bring in a more veteran backup, then what's the point of keeping Mannion, then???

Rams won't even know if Mannion is capable of being a backup, let alone a starting QB. It makes sense to trade last year's QB pick when they trade up for a Franchise QB. But they are putting ZERO effort into him. He's had fewer reps than Austin Davis thus far and Austin Davis didn't even make the final roster!

If Goff is injured or God Forbid is a miss, it's not they can turn to him. They haven't put anything into him.

He's got value as trade bait, tho. In this draft class? I would think he's got plenty of value...

Amitar

Pro Bowler
Name
Amitar
They need to give Mannion a fair shot at being #2 and possibly #1. I would not trade him at this point. He has too much potential to trade.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor

You've got a Bridge QB in Keenum who Fisher will likely want prepared to start the season and a #1 overall pick who will get as many reps as he needs to get the development he needs.

Strongly disagree Mack. Both Fish and Snead have been on record saying it was a mistake to hand Foles the job, that they would not do so again. Keenum is not guaranteed anything. He will need to beat Mannion out.

At this point the Rams have not seen enough of Sean to know what to expect. Sure, he's a studious guy. But can he execute the offense at the required speed? IF so, he will give Case a good run in the competition. Moving him now would be foolish IMO, unless another team were to offer the Rams a round 3 pick which is unlikely.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame

Keep Keenum as the long term backup (he's proven that he's basically a backup that can start and win games in a pinch) and that's a valuable commodity.

The Rams have no damn idea what they have in Mannion and for the second season in a row, they're in no position to spend half a second to find out. It totally wouldn't surprise me to see Mannion play with the 2nd string in the first game and by the 2nd preseason game, be relegated to the 3rd string with Goff getting plenty of snaps.

With Foles having no value this year and most of his money already paid and with us having so few picks this year, it seems like it make WAY more sense to trade Mannion who should have decent trade value in this draft class.

If Foles is dealt this draft and Keenum dealt next year or let go, what do the Rams have, even if Goff is all that we hope? The Rams will have two years of looking at Mannion with a few practice reps and a couple of snaps in preseason and that's supposed to be the backup in case Goff goes down? If not and they bring in a more veteran backup, then what's the point of keeping Mannion, then???

Rams won't even know if Mannion is capable of being a backup, let alone a starting QB. It makes sense to trade last year's QB pick when they trade up for a Franchise QB. But they are putting ZERO effort into him. He's had fewer reps than Austin Davis thus far and Austin Davis didn't even make the final roster!

If Goff is injured or God Forbid is a miss, it's not they can turn to him. They haven't put anything into him.

He's got value as trade bait, tho. In this draft class? I would think he's got plenty of value...

If the Rams thought Mannion had a chance to better than average they never would have traded up for a QB. They kicked the tires on Mannion and he wasn't what they wanted it seems. The shine is off his apple.

Mannion shows something he gets to hang around as a cost controlled backup or traded. If he struggles, he might not make the 53 if the Rams get in a roster crunch at the final cut.
In this draft class Mannion goes in later round. There's more higher graded QB's in this class.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
Strongly disagree Mack. Both Fish and Snead have been on record saying it was a mistake to hand Foles the job, that they would not do so again. Keenum is not guaranteed anything. He will need to beat Mannion out.

At this point the Rams have not seen enough of Sean to know what to expect. Sure, he's a studious guy. But can he execute the offense at the required speed? IF so, he will give Case a good run in the competition. Moving him now would be foolish IMO, unless another team were to offer the Rams a round 3 pick which is unlikely.

Seems to me they saw enough of him to trade a load of picks to draft a QB to keep Mannion on the bench.

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
If the Rams thought Mannion had a chance to better than average they never would have traded up for a QB. They kicked the tires on Mannion and he wasn't what they wanted it seems. The shine is off his apple.

Mannion shows something he gets to hang around as a cost controlled backup or traded. If he struggles, he might not make the 53 if the Rams get in a roster crunch at the final cut.
In this draft class Mannion goes in later round. There's more higher graded QB's in this class.

Exactly what constitutes "kicking the tires"?

See, I think they totally botched the backup QB situation last year, thus leaving next to no time to evaluate the rookie which is when you DO most rookie evals especially backups who don't play... like backup QBs. Thus, Mannion had very few practice reps, very little preseason game time and I stand corrected, he played in one game for mop up duty.

You think the Rams have a full enough picture of what Mannion is capable of in that year? That small sample size constitutes kicking the tires?

m'okay.

I don't think they've got the foggiest clue and it wouldn't be the first time.

I think Goff is gonna need more weapons and Foles isn't gonna likely yield any picks this draft, more likely late conditional picks in 2017. Keenum isn't going anywhere and he's affordable.

Foles is cheap this year. Why not get something to help now and then dump Foles at the end of the season?

Mackeyser

Name
Mack

Well, then I'm on record as saying that they're going to repeat that mistake because there's not enough reps to have a 3 way QB battle. There just isn't. The CBA limits the time and they have to get the offense installed for the new people. A two way battle is tough enough.

Look Goff is gonna get his reps. I don't think anyone's gonna argue that. And Keenum's the starter going into OTAs which means he needs to be beaten out. Well, it's nigh impossible to do that with #3 reps which are few and far between.

Don't get me wrong...a true meritorious contest would be ideal. I just don't see it possible logistically and I don't see it happening because Fisher hasn't managed QB battles well before.