Make Tavon Austin our 3rd Down RB.....

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ProGen

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm just happy it's got to the point we are even considering that Tavon would be taking away snaps from other playmakers at WR. Didn't see that one coming. Some good players will be cut/on the bench. Nice problem to have, albeit some tough decisions ahead.

StealYoGurley

Pro Bowler
IMO Tavons usage is dropping precipitously, especially if everyone stays relatively healthy. Im not sure where he fits in. People have called him a gadget player in the past, but for the most part he has played full time player snaps. IMO this year his snap count will equate to an actual gadget player.

Watkins- Arguably the most talented player on the offense. Just the threat he presents taking the top off the defense is worth keeping him on the field. Once Goff and Watkins start clicking with the deep ball to add to the short and intermediate game that is coming along nicely, watch out. Additionally, some of the "get the ball in his hands" touches Tavon is used to will go to Watkins because he is also very dangerous in space in addition to being a more complete WR than Tavon.

Kupp- May surpass Woods faster than we all thought because he is already a reliable chain mover who has a good rapport with Goff. Even though he is the leading preseason WR, Woods and Watkins are still the preferred options in 2 WR sets. With Watkins and Woods as the starters, Kupp playing heavy snaps as the first WR off the bench/ 3 WR set starter, Gurley playing heavily ocassionaly spelled by a backup RB, and at least 1 TE will be involved on most plays. Add all those things up and there is only room for 3 WRs to play heavily.

Woods- IMO barring injury outplaying Woods is Tavon's best path to significant snaps. Woods was McVays 2nd FA signing as a head coach and he has talked up his polish and skill set. The best players will play, but Tavon hasn't been on the field to show he can outplay one of McVay's guys combined with an already below average track record as a WR. You have to think McVay's guy has the edge here especially early in the season

Hemingway- I am listing him as a significant player because he has played a much bigger role than I thought he would and seems to be McVays preferred option as the inline TE. Why does that matter? McVay uses 2 TE sets heavily and Hemingway's in line role compliments Higbee/Everett allowing them to do what they do best. Two TE sets means fewer receivers on the field i.e. Watkins and Woods/Kupp.

Everett- His pre season utilization has been very interesting. They line him up everywhere, but his routes have mainly been shorter routes that get him open in space. Sound familiar? He's not a good blocker yet, but he has upside in that area and McVay still isn't afraid to put him in situations where he has to block. His ability to be an extra man in protection and the run game in addition to being a big target the redzone make him inherently more versatile than Tavon. Like Woods he was one of McVays priorities as his first draft pick ever as a head coach. Higbee isn't a great blocker either, so Everett's who is a more talented receiver will replace him eventually and play heavily. Regardless, either Higbee or Everett will play extensively and the other guy will factor in off the bench creating another impediment to Tavon playing a lot.

I don't see the Rams using 4 WR sets heavily because when everyone is healthy it means taking Gurley or McVay favorite position TE off the field. Gurley is an offensive focal point and McVay features the TE position more than anyone.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
McVay will find ways to get Austin on the field if Austin proves he's a reliable player.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
I think adding Tavon into our O mix is going to be a bonus. We have targets now, which should free up space for Tavon. The pressure is off Tavon now to have to carry the offence and be that #1 WR.

I'm looking forward to see what Tavon can do in McVay's system.

fearsomefour

Legend
I can see him running routes out of 2 back sets, easy.

Plus, I can see him getting loose on 5 wr sets.

Last year, a 5 WR set just made sick to my stomach. Now it makes me giddy.
Haha.
Amen.
When they went 5 WRs last year I would just watch the O line to see who was going to give up the sack/pressure.

fearsomefour

Legend
I think McVay (spelled correctly) can find plays and ways for Austin. The previous O tried to force feed him the ball in very conservative ways....running up the guy as a RB hoping he could bust a seem. The end around run and of course the infamous WR bubble screen variation.
Austin is an explosive player. Finding ways to get him the ball in space has always been the challlenge. Hopefully McVay can find ways to do this.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Tavon better work his butt off on every touch he gets and he better work to catch every ball he is targeted with.

He more than likely will be released next year and unless he works his rear end off THIS year, nobody will pick up his current contract.
That means he will clear waivers, become an unrestricted free agent and sign a more reasonable contract with some other team.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
McVay will find ways to get Austin on the field if Austin proves he's a reliable player.
He has to show more reliable hands in pass receiving.

All of the receivers have been players brought in that are known for reliable hands.

McVay is not going to call a play.
Make his O line pound heads with 300 lb defensive tackles.
Put his quarterbacks out there risking their limbs.
Make his defense go back out there after a short time on the bench because of a three-and-out.

Because some bonehead cannot catch a ball that hits him right in the bread basket.

I would say those days are gone.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I am sick & tired of this same ole problem of having too many offensive weapons & having to worry about how we can we possibly use them all .;)
Haha.
Amen.
When they went 5 WRs last year I would just watch the O line to see who was going to give up the sack/pressure.
If the OL continues to improve & we see more of those nice little pockets for Goff to step into then you & I will just have to find other elements to watch in a 5 wr play offense...I' m not sure I am up to this change at my age.:D
The big thing to me is that if McVay utilizes Austin well, it might improve his trade value for this off-season.
That kind of thinking is how Tom ends up in a tied up pickle & Jerry with a extra large chunk of cheese in his mouse frig.:)

Last edited:

Ram65

Legend
Kind of wish we could have kept Cunningham now but hopefully one of the young RBs can step up

I've said since they let him walk he would be hard to replace.

I think adding Tavon into our O mix is going to be a bonus. We have targets now, which should free up space for Tavon. The pressure is off Tavon now to have to carry the offence and be that #1 WR. I'm looking forward to see what Tavon can do in McVay's system.

Good points. He doesn't have to try to be the guy any more. Less pressure and McVay designed plays should result in big yards. It could come from many different sets and situations.

The big thing to me is that if McVay utilizes Austin well, it might improve his trade value for this off-season.

The Watkins trade increase Austin's trade probability significantly. Rams have to resign Sammy first. I didn't think the offense could afford to lose him before the trade. Combine the trade and the early play of WR/TE group and Austin becomes expendable. McVay will get Austin his touches.

fearsomefour

Legend
I am sick & tired of this same ole problem of having too many offensive weapons & having to worry about how we can we possibly use them all .;)
If the OL continues to improve & we see more of those nice little pockets for Goff to step into then you & I will just have to find other elements to watch in a 5 wr play offense...I' m not sure I am up to this change at my age.:D
That kind of thinking is how Tom ends up in a tied up pickle & Jerry with a extra large chunk of cheese in his mouse cave.:)
Well, to be honest, I am always watching the line anyway.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Gurley, Watkins, Woods, Austin, Kupp, Everett, Higbee... Cooper, Thomas, Reynolds...

That's suddenly become a legitimate list of weapons.

I'm not trading anyone. I'm figuring out the best way to tune this engine.

As far as using Austin as a RB; I'm guessing we'll see some of that

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
I would love it if we could trade Tavon, however his contract is so crazy there is almost zero chance of that happening.
He would have to agree to renegotiate his contract and why should he when he has so much guaranteed money coming to him?

Pretty sure we're stuck with him this year.
I'm just hoping to get some positive yardage out of him this year.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Well, to be honest, I am always watching the line anyway.
while most everyone else is watching those pretty little shinny flashy play toys running up & down the field ...meanwhile should you & I admit that kind of off the main screen voyeurism?.:thinking:.........but as we all know it all starts up front in those lines.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Truer words were never spoken.
( concerning football ) :D
We may have seen the best offensive performance in ????? how long ? yeah I know its only pre season .... wonder if there's a possible correlation to last nights OL effectiveness?

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
We may have seen the best offensive performance in ????? how long ? yeah I know its only pre season .... wonder if there's a possible correlation to last nights OL effectiveness?
I can't say enough about Kromer.
He was trying to fix the right side of the line by switching the two players but was smart enough to recognize and realize it wasn't working.
Let's hope Jamon Brown is coachable and they can keep him in one position and allow him to acclimate and he can stay healthy.
Our back up O liners are going to be better coached as well so if we do have an injury I think we're better there than we were last year.

Oakland was a playoff team last year, not some pushover, and we played our starters for an entire half and looked excellent.

No way any of that happens without a good offensive line performance.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer

Let them jail break and Tavon will be crossin over the middle. ZOOOOOM.