Make Tavon Austin our 3rd Down RB.....

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

LA_Rams_#29

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
LA Rams 29
we have real WRs and TEs that need to be on the field... Austin ..assuming he is on the team when the regular season starts.... he could run back kicks for us, and line up in the backfield on 3rd down passing downs....that's a lot of money to pay a guy to only do that..but Kupp.... double TE combos... Cooper...Thomas... Reynolds.... if Spruce makes the team... I mean we got guys that that need to play...

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Might as well work him in and keep our WRs fresh.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
I can see him running routes out of 2 back sets, easy.

Plus, I can see him getting loose on 5 wr sets.

Last year, a 5 WR set just made sick to my stomach. Now it makes me giddy.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I doubt we'll see him as a third down HB because you need for your QB to be able to audible and have the third down HB pick up the blitzing LB or DB.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Can we see what Tay Awesome does with McVay first???? I'm sure he's stashing him for a reason...

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I can see him running routes out of 2 back sets, easy.

Plus, I can see him getting loose on 5 wr sets.

Last year, a 5 WR set just made sick to my stomach. Now it makes me giddy.

I can see him dropping passes and killing drives.

Ok sorta kidding around there. In all seriousness his role now looks to be out of the backfield and bubble screens and whatnot. But the question here is when and what situations is he a guy you want out there. Dude is straight getting squeezed right now and he has to get healthy and wow this staff to recover. We really haven't seen Watkins integrated yet, and when that happens it's going to be very difficult to get Tavon touches. And again I admit he's the kind of guy who might be able to impact in small amounts of touches, but still, I think in this game you can see what some of us were talking about wrt where he fits on the depth chart.

This is an offense that is going to operate off of sure handed receptions of exact routes with many of them short to middle in depth, and RAC. The sure handed side of things concerns me with him, as do the routes. Sure would be nice to see him get out there in week 3 and blow everyone's mind. I'd eat that plate of crow gladly.

jjab360

Legend
Kind of wish we could have kept Cunningham now but hopefully one of the young RBs can step up

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I think that's Dunbar's bread and butter if he's ever healthy. It's not so much about weight as it is intelligence, desire, and technique. Remember that Chris Thompson in Washington was a small HB too.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I'd rather have Austin on the field causing havoc seeing the d can't tee off on him anymore. This is what we've all been waiting for and people want to trade him or keep him off the field.

Man, people.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I'm not talking about having him as the 3rd down back. Just on the field as an attacking weapon. Where ever and however they want to use him. I literally have been dreaming of this situation since the day they drafted him - dangerous attacking players all over the field with smart, creative offensive coaches. Throw Austin into the mix and, boom, look out.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
In one sense I would jump at a chance to trade him to recoup some pics, even if it would be for a 3 and a 5 lets say.

On the other hand, I am intrigued what they could do with him now that teams have other guys to worry about.

As far as a 3rd down back, he would have to be able to pick up blitzes, but teams may also fear blitzing since if you could get him the ball on a quick out in the flats that could be a big problem for the defense.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
In one sense I would jump at a chance to trade him to recoup some pics, even if it would be for a 3 and a 5 lets say.

On the other hand, I am intrigued what they could do with him now that teams have other guys to worry about.

As far as a 3rd down back, he would have to be able to pick up blitzes, but teams may also fear blitzing since if you could get him the ball on a quick out in the flats that could be a big problem for the defense.

The big thing to me is that if McVay utilizes Austin well, it might improve his trade value for this off-season.

MrRiceGuyRJ

Let's Make the Rams Great Again
Name
RJ
I actually REALLY REALLY like the idea of Davis evolving as our change of pace and 3rd down back. Tavon is a huge playmaker and a good little gadget guy, but in the short stints (1st preseason fumbling issues aside), I think Davis may be a better option (and cheaper).

TexasRam

Legend
Tavon is still one of the best threats in the NFL to get explosive plays and take it to the house. And he's fearless in the open field. I could see using him out of the backfield as a WR in the flat to slow down the rush or as a decoy. But he can get huge yardage in so many other ways. Reverses. Crossing routes, post routes, WR Screen, quick outs.

Just don't use him as your third down go to guy and don't have him running traditional routes like deep outs, ins or curls etc. You get him in space and get
The ball in his hands with a block or two in front and let him do his thing.

My third down guys are Kupp, Everett, Cooper and maybe Higbee and Woods.

I'm using Watkins Tavon and Reynolds as my big play 1st and 2nd down guys.

There is some overlap there but not with Tavon as a 3rd down guy due to his shaky hands and route running.

StealYoGurley

Pro Bowler
pass protection is probably the most important and underrated skill a 3rd down back can have. Benny was the ideal backup RB as great kick returner, solid in pass pro, reciving skills, and a decent runner. I know the RB position is undervalued, but I'm surprised he didn't get more interest on the open market since he excels in may dirty work areas of the game. Tavon is no Benny when it comes to that type of dirty work

I can see Tavon playing RB in some packages to get mismatches, but certainly not full time there.