Losing my taste for movie theaters…

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
I used to love going to the movies.

Now…given the choice between sitting in a dingy theater chair, hoping for quiet people nearby and dealing with a blasting sound system, or watching on my sofa and enjoying my big flat screen and surround sound, I’ll most likely opt for the latter.

This has been a “hey you kids, get off my lawn” message. :laugh3:

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
TV and sound technology can be just as good at home these days. Cheaper snacks, too. Pause and rewind ability. Clean bathrooms. You can even quit a movie, turn it off and not feel guilty for it. Definitely lots to like about watching from home!

These days, movie theaters are fighting for every dollar. That’s why they are doing more things like interactive chairs (motion/vibrations) to give the theater SOMETHING unique to offer.

I am surprised more theaters didn’t bite the dust from covid, than did.

Q729

Legend
I usually don't watch movies in anything but those Dolby Theaters where they have the big recliners, Atmos sound system, and the Dolby Vision HDR where the color and contrast is better. There's enough space in there to walk down the aisle even when people have their seats reclined.

I think other people's reactions to scenes adds something to the viewing experience too, so long as we're all decent human beings in there. Been generally lucky with that. Probably helps that I don't go for every movie either. Hope they don't bite the dust any time soon though. It's one of those things we always thought would be there from days long gone. Technology has killed a lot of stuff. People are getting too isolated and prickish these days. :laugh1: But yeah, the writing is definitely on the wall...

View: https://youtu.be/a22c8NPNOPI

norcalramfan

Starter
Rams On Demand Sponsor
My granddaughter, now 13, still enjoys getting out of the house with her friends and going to the movies.
For myself, I go only rarely now. The last one I saw was the new Top Gun and the next one will be the new Indiana Jones.
I don't like to rent new release movies at home mostly because there are so few that capture my interest. I prefer to buy bluray if I really like a film, then register the digital copy with my vudu account. That way I have both in case the internet goes wonky.
BTW, the Paramount Network replayed the Godfather over the weekend, taking up a 4.5 HOUR SLOT . I DVR'd it and I'm now about halfway through while fast forwarding the commercials.

Last edited:

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Aside from recent Star Wars flicks I haven't been in a very very long time. Just not worth the money especially knowing exactly how much that popcorn soda/beer they sell me costs.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
When you get to be my age, its hard to sit through a two hour movie without having to take a leak. I return to my seat and have to ask my wife what I missed. Its usually something good I missed. At home I hit the pause button, take a leak, get something to drink. Maybe a snack. I can rewind a few seconds to make sure I didn't forget where I was at in the movie. Much better at home.

IowaRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Iowa
Here's the theatre we go to , plenty of elbow room

298920154_438440108299791_6080551653520411817_n.jpg

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
Drive-ins are better anyways. Theaters are limited anyways. Especially if your on that special date and the movie just isn’t cutting it. You have other options of entertainment.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Yall haven't done the 4DX experience and it shows. Saw GotG and new Transformers and was fun as hell. Kicking myself I didn't get to watch Avatar 2 in that.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Watched Avatar 2 at home.

Saw The Flash at a theater.

Film quality aside (liked both), I enjoyed the experience at home much more.

Londoner

Twitchy newcomer
Have to agree with much of what’s been written above: cinemas are a rip-off when it comes to food and drink; you can’t pause when you want a pee; other people make too much noise. Another thing is that films are just so bloody loud at the cinema- is it really necessary?

I just wait until films are on streaming these days and watch them at home.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Honestly, I prefer going to the movies. Nothing like a large popcorn bag with extra butter that I can refill at zero cost.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
I still like the "utterly overwhelming" aspect of seeing a movie at the theater.

At home, I don't get quite as completely "lost" in the movie.

Admittedly though I notice the difference more with sci fi and action movies. For a quiet emotional drama focused on character and dialogue, I don't need a gigantic screen.

But for movies like Avatar, the Matrix, Lord of the Rings, etc.? Being transported to an alternate world? The bigger the screen, the better.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I recently went to a movie theater and was blown away by the experience.

Like AvengerRam, I gave up going to movie theaters because of the cramped, uncomfortable seating and high prices for everything. Until this recent experience, it had been 19 years since the last time. The local theater was purchased and upgraded by B & B Theaters:
*Upgraded, comfortable seats that recline. No bumping knees when trying to get by seated people. It was so good that it twisted my brain. The experience was similar to my economy seat being upgraded to first class on a flight to Chicago.
* Everything was really clean.
* Plus, I never experienced reserve seating before in a theater. There are literally no bad seats in the place, viewing wise or comfort wise.
* Yes, the popcorn and drinks are expensive. But it's no longer a pimply faced teen pumping the butter over the top of the popcorn, it's DIY, with multiple flavors and seasonings. If you need more butter later, you just go back and add some more....
* On Tuesdays, the tickets cost is $5 each.

We will be going back, soon.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I recently went to a movie theater and was blown away by the experience.

Like AvengerRam, I gave up going to movie theaters because of the cramped, uncomfortable seating and high prices for everything. Until this recent experience, it had been 19 years since the last time. The local theater was purchased and upgraded by B & B Theaters:
*Upgraded, comfortable seats that recline. No bumping knees when trying to get by seated people. It was so good that it twisted my brain. The experience was similar to my economy seat being upgraded to first class on a flight to Chicago.
* Everything was really clean.
* Plus, I never experienced reserve seating before in a theater. There are literally no bad seats in the place, viewing wise or comfort wise.
* Yes, the popcorn and drinks are expensive. But it's no longer a pimply faced teen pumping the butter over the top of the popcorn, it's DIY, with multiple flavors and seasonings. If you need more butter later, you just go back and add some more....
* On Tuesdays, the tickets cost is $5 each.

We will be going back, soon.

Agreed on all, and in addition, it helps that the movie theaters are wheelchair accessible. No, I obviously can't go up the stairs (uphill in general is tough), but movie theaters really have stepped their game up compared to the times I went when I was a kid.

And the popcorn is to die for. Seriously, there is no better place to get popcorn than a movie theater, and if you make it a large - at least, at the theaters I've been to in Missouri - refills are free.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Agreed on all, and in addition, it helps that the movie theaters are wheelchair accessible. No, I obviously can't go up the stairs (uphill in general is tough), but movie theaters really have stepped their game up compared to the times I went when I was a kid.

And the popcorn is to die for. Seriously, there is no better place to get popcorn than a movie theater, and if you make it a large - at least, at the theaters I've been to in Missouri - refills are free.
All true.

Psycho_X

Legend
I enjoy the thought of seeing a movie in the theatre but think we've been to maybe three since covid started. I think last one we went to was the last Spider Man movie. But being a 6'5" large dude most theatres are not very comfortable for me. Even the comfy recliner theatres are a bit tight or the foot rests end about where the back of my knees are and feet just hang off the end anyway. I don't even bother with the fancy IMAX/4D theatres because those seats are seemingly made for 12 year old sized adults.

I do still love a big ole tub of movie theatre popcorn though but it's not enough to keep me from just watching it in my recliner at home though.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
The only theater I would go to is an IMAX. Its like an amusement park ride the way they move your seat around and special effects like the floor rumbling, smoke, air blasts, etc. My wife didn't like it because she felt beat up afterwards with the seat going up, down, sideways, tilt. I thought it was cool.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Seeing a movie at some of the new high tech theaters with the fat reclining chairs is an experience for the senses. We have some incredible ones here in O-Town... like at Disney and Universal. Hell... my local theater just a mile or so from my house has a few of the high tech set-ups and they have a full liquor bar.

Theaters have done about all they can to make the experience worth going.

They lost my business a long time ago though for several reasons.

My 85" screen and sound system may not be as amazing as an IMAX theater... but it's still amazing enough for me. Not to mention the ability to control everything including hitting the pause button. I can also sit back and enjoy the show while only wearing shorts (or less) and blaze the chalice. I always have a perfect seat too.

But the main reason I gave up going is due to ignorant people who are going to be in that theater with you no matter what. I'm sorry, but many people today just don't know how to behave in public or they are just completely inconsiderate to others. Cell phones, constant loud talking, loud open mouth eaters, constant bathroom breaks from others forcing me to stand up and let them pass back and forth, kids crying or worse, and others blocking my line of sight to the screen... completely ruin the experience for me. It's ridiculous and I get fucking pissed.

Let the knuckle draggers and kids have the theaters. They can behave like idiots and animals in a closed room together and that way they are at least contained in there for a few hours and kept far away from my grumpy old ass.

Last edited: